Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the course of many years, many friends I have picked up, I appear to have "sensed" who were potential friendship material. It would appear that I have it in me to see like-minded people, and from that establish connections. I cannot appear to explain this phenomenon, but (like most of my experiences), I appear to have zoned out, followed by a burning sense of curiosity, and then followed by me reading into that person. Most of my current friends have been picked out according to the above method. I suspect it could be another "side-effect" if you will to being Ni-dominant. Can any Ni-doms relate to the above?

Disclaimer: Yes, I know this sounds weird, but that is how it is.
Side-note: There really has to be a Ni-dom prefix, rather than INTJ only..

·
Registered
347 Posts
Not a Ni-dom, but I was just thinking about this yesterday in regards to my best friend, thinking about the longevity of relationships in general, and factors that lead to this. As I recall, I sort of ‘zeroed’ in on her in our middle school days, even though she was a little shy and standoffish. I can’t recall exactly how I felt, but the word ‘balance’ and ‘warmth’ pop into my head now and I just knew she was going to be my pal for life. It’s almost an immediate feeling upon meeting someone of comfort and knowing there will be a deeper soul connection, which is not to say it unfairly biases an encounter, but it’s hard to ignore too. Maybe there are other factors, like levels of comfort in meeting, and external environment? Relationships can grow from nothing with hard work, but it’s hard to ignore those ‘first impressions’.

·
Banned
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a Ni-dom, but I was just thinking about this yesterday in regards to my best friend, thinking about the longevity of relationships in general, and factors that lead to this. As I recall, I sort of ‘zeroed’ in on her in our middle school days, even though she was a little shy and standoffish. I can’t recall exactly how I felt, but the word ‘balance’ and ‘warmth’ pop into my head now and I just knew she was going to be my pal for life. It’s almost an immediate feeling upon meeting someone of comfort and knowing there will be a deeper soul connection, which is not to say it unfairly biases an encounter, but it’s hard to ignore too. Maybe there are other factors, like levels of comfort in meeting, and external environment? Relationships can grow from nothing with hard work, but it’s hard to ignore those ‘first impressions’.
Ni auxillary users are also welcome. While I did not think of the words "warmth" and "balance" respectively, I did have the strong impression that he <insert appropriate person> should be approached at the very least. Coincidentally, I am prone to seeing people who are away/stand out from others in both sense of the word "stand".

Reactions: BatFlapClap

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree that over the years I have honed in on the ability to gather like-minded people. Though I'd say it takes me several conversations—it's almost like if I connect too quickly then I know it's superficial—especially for the Ni dominant you can just be a social chameleon. Typically after a few convos with the person, some strange comment will be said either by them or me and you'll see this glint go off in their eyes. Like you just sparked something in them that is often unfed. From that point, I usually end up actually connecting with the person much deeper even though we could still be talking of superficial topics. It doesn't happen often so when it does, I definitely feel it.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I wouldn't call it a sense, more like a probability concluded from observation. I think like-minded people find me, I scope them out for a while and then decide to be friendly. The sense applies more to people I know will annoy me.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,476 Posts
I don't think this is unique to Ni dom/aux. At least I know I feel such way too with certain people. For me it's usually when I meet another N type, either NP or NT, which is a relatively rare phenomenon in the sea of S types I usually find myself in.

·
Banned
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think this is unique to Ni dom/aux. At least I know I feel such way too with certain people. For me it's usually when I meet another N type, either NP or NT, which is a relatively rare phenomenon in the sea of S types I usually find myself in.
The above is rather interesting.

Reactions: Red Panda

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,448 Posts
When it comes to "friends," not simply associates (mistaken for friends (e.g., extroverts), it is not very Typology related. The average humanoid, regardless of type, (seems to observe / prefer like-minded / similar) specimens for interpersonal / friendship.

I, personally, prefer a nice mix of minds. I have no interest in the bees nor the hive if you can find (an abundance) of honey elsewhere.

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
It's more important for me to find people who are different enough from me to teach me things (and hopefully the other way around, too) AND to find people who are receptive to me. I think the result of my second point is that I find more people who are like-minded in attitude towards openness while also maintaining a diverse mix of friends/acquaintances.

I seem to have a bit of Ni voodoo going on when evaluating people to tell really out-there things to. For example, I had a Near Death Experience during surgery when I was 20 (died on the table, 3 minutes). I didn't tell many people about it, but the first person I *did* tell was my dad who, on the outside, might seem like the most skeptical skeptic out there. However, he was fascinated with it and kept repeating how lucky I was and what a special experience to have had. With that specific example, I've always had a feel for who to tell and who not to tell and how they'll respond to my experience.

I haven't ever been wrong about it in that case. I sometimes wonder if it's the nature of the experience itself that somehow makes me hyper-aware of who will be more receptive to hearing about it and who won't be. One good example is that I knew my INTP partner probably wouldn't put much meaning into it or even consider it a valid experience, but I still told him just in case it ever was brought up by my dad or if I told someone in front of him and he hadn't heard about it first.

And, as an afterthought, I'm still not exactly certain what happened. I'm certain I had a very interesting experience, but defining it more than that seems premature. I'm sure I'll find out what really happens once I get there. : )

Reactions: Ohndot

·
Delphic Seer
18,076 Posts
I regard some of my closest friends as intellectual companions with whom ideas can be exchanged and discussed. In my case, it’s something that usually takes some time to develop but there have also been some occasions where I can tell when somebody thinks more or less like me based on a preliminary assessment of their worldview(s).

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
I've never met a like-minded person in my life.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Yeah, I guess my experience is somewhere between ponpiri and whatever intuition I've gathered or been exposed to IRL. For whatever reason, IRL, I've met people and have often heard things like "yeah, I guess it makes sense we're supposed to [go out drinking, read some texts together]."

I'm not fully on board with typing for people who aren't as extremely obviously like INTJ, but for some reason INTP types have been the ones who seem always lean over your shoulder and is like "hey is that capital omega or lowercase on the blackboard for rotational force, you would know!" Usually it's just knowledge stuff, like explaining in physics lab to a confused, but bright-seeming kid next to me that the "big pi" is just like the summation, but for multiplication. Hey, maybe I'm empathetic more than I admit, because I was astounded the first time someone wrote the giant wedge (prop logic -- not the little wedge, but the giant wedge, or in sets, the big union or intersection...never mind, it's not important, just a notational shortcut) on the board, and thought it was pretty neat notation. (Despite my avatar, I don't know much Gk, beyond Clyde Pharr's Homeric Gk primer, I just think it's funny and I like Homer -- and, no, I don't think "hepatotoxikon" is a real word, and if it is, I doubt I spelled it correctly. Again, I just think it's funny, especially with my attempt to correct my own "spelling." whatever. it's funny, trust me.).

I don't know, but there's IME some kind typing going on at the limen. Call it waterheads finding their level.

·
Registered
330 Posts
So like a Gaydar but for INTJs?

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
You know, to sort of keep this conversation going, it's seemed odd to me that OTHER people seem to have noticed me, and basically "picked me up," if there's an intellectual equivalent to cruising for chicks/dudes/whatever.

I wonder if I'm the only one who occasionally used to be a bit paranoid (not pathologically, but, you know, something you wonder about) about this. I mean, I actively have made it part of my life to just appear bog-standard in clothes, comportment, and whatever, and yet, somehow people seem to find you. I've been called "cynosure" as a throwaway description at a dinner party, among some bilingual French-English people, and it's just never sat right with me.

So, if there is some kind of "sense-detector," or "gaydar-for-INTJ," or however you put it, it's always been a source of irritation to me.

Well, it doesn't matter. I'm sure Google and Amazon will figure a marketable way to keep people's noses in their phones.

Not a rant, just an elaboration.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Agreed, and thanks for the invite. I think both INFJ and INTJ Ni doms are particularly strong at reading people very quickly. In another thread, I mentioned a couple retired SEALs I know who present INTJ. They too are very good at reading people and predicting their behavior. They read body language like a gypsy reads tea leaves, which is probably key to surviving long enough to be retired from that line of work.

·
Registered
ISTP
448 Posts
Agreed, and thanks for the invite. I think both INFJ and INTJ Ni doms are particularly strong at reading people very quickly. In another thread, I mentioned a couple retired SEALs I know who present INTJ. They too are very good at reading people and predicting their behavior. They read body language like a gypsy reads tea leaves, which is probably key to surviving long enough to be retired from that line of work.
Interesting. In fact, have done this while passing random strangers on the street a few times. We pass eachother, similar mannerisms, similar walk (the 'purposeful' looking one), maybe even similar clothing style. Brief eye contact and a knowing nod. No words exchanged. Not sure if this is type related though. Those kinds of connections are much more fun than dippy weather talk with a clerk.

·
Banned
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
This is rather what I meant by what was written above.

Reactions: Arkana and Ohndot
1 - 20 of 22 Posts