Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any other fans out there? I LOVED these when I was in middle school. I just reread the Unauthorized Autobiography and my brain is happy.

I didn't realize this was a sad occasion.

Reactions: NeonBomb

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Hands down one of the best series I have ever read. Can't really remember the ending except for a baby Beatrice, but I thought it fit well for the series. I'm glad he didn't pull a happily-ever-after.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I read most of the series several years ago, sometime before the movie came out, and I never really found it as fulfilling as I like. Even though I was much younger, I clearly remember being highly cynical over the fact that the main characters were so oblivious to the Count appearing everywhere 'in disguise'

Yes I know this is a juvenile fiction series but I established this opinion at the target age for the books.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oooh, it lives!

I like to think that the obliviousness of the adults outside of organization reflected the ignorance of people in general, suggesting how easy it is for people with inside knowledge to manipulate the people outside.

The ending.... well, I was largely sad it was over. I would have liked more conclusive information on the sugar bowl, but I was generally satisfied. I appreciate the bitterly happy ending.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I think I'm going to reread the series.

I forgot. What happened to the Quagmire triplets? Were they in the Penultimate Peril or is that just my imagination?
If my shoddy memory can remember, they were mentioned but not actually there. Quick check on Wikipedia says:

In The Penultimate Peril, Kit Snicket tells the Baudelaires that Quigley and Kit were planning to meet up with the three children, but he received word from his other two siblings that they were being attacked in the sky. Kit says that he stole a helicopter to help them and Hector, and would do this by constructing a huge net.
Did anyone notice that when the Baudelaire's first meet Frank (or Ernest?) he tries to communicate with them by the bell code but they don't notice? I thought it was so cool, haha but I forgot which page it was.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
It's on page 67

"Ring!" cried either Ernest of Frank. "Ring! I shouldn't have to tell you the bell's your signal. We can't keep out guests waiting for even an instant. You can tell which guest is ringing by the number on the bell. If the number written on the bell was 469, for example, you would know that one of our Portuguese guests required assistance. Are you paying attention? The bell marked 674 indicates our associates in the lumber industry, as the number 674 means lumber processing or wood products in the Dewey Decimal System. We can't make enemies out of important guests! Them number 371 indicates educational guests. Please be nice to them, too, although they're much less important. Respond to all of our guests whenever you hear that ring!"

And they totally missed it, aww.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I didn't realize this was a sad occasion.
Are you who I think you are?

-------------

I really enjoyed the series, too. The only criticism I have is that Violet, Klaus and Sunny are too...perfect. They have no flaw, and it's just irritating to me.

·
Banned
2,877 Posts
I wonder if that's intentional. To illustrate how pure and innocent children are, unadulterated by the ignorance and selfishness of the adult world.

Or maybe I'm overthinking it and they are just straight Mary Sues.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I admit, I have never thought about that possibility...Hmm, you know what, I think you're right. I mean, they sort of changed a bit in the end in the sense that they were willing to do questionable things for a cause & to protect themselves. If they were doomed as Mary-Sues, they wouldn't have gone through that subtle transformation.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, their "perfection" contrasts the enormously screwed up adult world presented in the books.

The Untitled Series makes me so happy.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hah. I remember how depressed I would feel whenever Snicket delivered his "don't read this" section because I was so young that I believed what he said about how depressing it was going to be. Of course I read it anyways and finished the series when I grew older.

I still enjoy the series from time to time. The simplicity of the writing and the absurdity of the things that happened. I can just imagine some form of dramatic reading for this book. I'm easily impressed as a reader.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
Hah. I remember how depressed I would feel whenever Snicket delivered his "don't read this" section because I was so young that I believed what he said about how depressing it was going to be. Of course I read it anyways and finished the series when I grew older.

I still enjoy the series from time to time. The simplicity of the writing and the absurdity of the things that happened. I can just imagine some form of dramatic reading for this book. I'm easily impressed as a reader.
I loved the books -- I just happen to be a fan of that droll style. And I liked the way it didn't seem to really ever "wimp" out and provide simplistic happy endings.

The movie, while ambitious, wasn't nearly as good. Three books rolled into one movie -- Carey did fine as Olaf, albeit a little over the top, but the movie didn't really capture any inherent magic the books possessed. I didn't think Klaus was cast well either.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts