Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Four temperaments is a proto-psychological theory that suggests that there are four fundamental personality types, sanguine (pleasure-seeking and sociable), choleric (ambitious and leader-like), melancholic (analytical and quiet), and phlegmatic (relaxed and peaceful). Most formulations include the possibility of mixtures of the types.

These are vote threads started by PlushWitch million years ago (you still can vote):
ENTP http://personalitycafe.com/entp-forum-visionaries/48220-sanguine-choleric-melancholy-phlegmatic.html
ENFP http://personalitycafe.com/enfp-forum-inspirers/48214-sanguine-choleric-melancholy-phlegmatic.html
ENFJ http://personalitycafe.com/enfj-forum-givers/48171-sanguine-choleric-melancholy-phlegmatic.html
ENTJ http://personalitycafe.com/entj-forum-executives/48219-sanguine-choleric-melancholy-phlegmatic.html
INFJ http://personalitycafe.com/infj-forum-protectors/48013-sanguine-choleric-melancholy-phlegmatic.html
INFP http://personalitycafe.com/infp-forum-idealists/48161-sanguine-choleric-melancholy-phlegmatic.html
INTJ http://personalitycafe.com/intj-forum-scientists/48217-sanguine-choleric-melancholy-phlegmatic.html
INTP http://personalitycafe.com/intp-forum-thinkers/48218-sanguine-choleric-melancholy-phlegmatic.html
ISTP http://personalitycafe.com/istp-forum-mechanics/48229-sanguine-choleric-melancholy-phlegmatic.html
ISFP http://personalitycafe.com/isfp-forum-artists/48228-sanguine-choleric-melancholy-phlegmatic.html
ISFJ http://personalitycafe.com/isfj-forum-nurturers/48227-sanguine-choleric-melancholy-phlegmatic.html
ISTJ http://personalitycafe.com/istj-for...-sanguine-choleric-melancholy-phlegmatic.html
ESTP http://personalitycafe.com/estp-forum-doers/48230-sanguine-choleric-melancholy-phlegmatic.html
ESTJ http://personalitycafe.com/estj-forum-guardians/48232-sanguine-choleric-melancholy-phlegmatic.html
ESFJ http://personalitycafe.com/esfj-forum-caregivers/48233-sanguine-choleric-melancholy-phlegmatic.html
ESFP http://personalitycafe.com/esfp-forum-performers/48231-sanguine-choleric-melancholy-phlegmatic.html

There is a pattern and the simple correlation is as follows:

Pe-doms:
Ne and Se dominants are sanguine
NeTi and SeTi are sanguine-choleric
NeFi and NeFi are sanguine-phlegmatic

So, Ti adds a choleric flavor as an auxiliary function when extroverted
Fi adds phlegmatic flavor to sanguine first function (Fi-doms are melancholic)

Pi-doms:
Ni and Si doms are melancholic
NiTe and SiTe are melancholic-choleric
NiFe and SiFe are melancholic-phlegmatic

Je-doms:
Fe and Te are different
FeNi and FeSi have equal representation of humors. Fe is neutral. It is a shapeshifter depending on a situation. They are very flexible.
TeNi are cholerics and melancholic-cholerics
TeSi are melancholic-cholerics and cholerics

Te is definitely a choleric one. Ni and Si are both melancholic but Si has a bigger impact on temperament

Ji-doms:
Ti doms are melancholy-phlegmatic
Fi doms are really strange.
FiNe are Melancholy-Phlegmatic, Melancholy, Phlegmatic and Sanguine-Phlegmatic
FiSe are Melancholy-Phlegmatic, Sanguine-Phlegmatic and Phlegmatic
In this case, after Fi circuits Se gives more jollity

But then we ask: why? Why Pe are sanguine, Pi - melancholic, Te choleric and Fe is neutral ?

My opinion:
Because of the nature of those functions. Because of things that energizes users of those functions. Healthy Ne will be constantly enthusiastic because he sees potential in everything. Possibilities to change the world. Se will be enthusiastic to try new things. Te is about getting things done in external world. So, whatever its position in the function stack it will always be sees as choleric. Fe is about social adaptation, therefore it is neutral and adjustable. Its humor depends on other functions in the stack and their developments/use.
Now, Ni and Si. Why would they be melancholic? Because they deal with self-preservation instinct? They compute outer world depending on the past experience and because of this they...what? I want to ask this of you, Pi-doms. Why are your function seem melancholic? What is wrong about it?

If your temperament is different from average of your type, please write about it. It is interesting to see a sanguine IXXJ or melancholic E**P

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
Can't say I agree with this based on personal observation. It's too fucking random. I'm melancholic-choleric, but I have come across so many different flavors of INTJs there's no real pattern from what I can see.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Oh, well that interesting, as lately I've been contemplating my type (I don't think I'll ever stop).

I scored really high on sanguine, lets see, my results were:
64 Sanguine (higher than 96%)
29 Melancholy (higher than 27%)
14 Choleric (higher than 25%)
21 Phlegmatic (higher than 21%)

So, basically, according to what the data shows, I'm pretty much 100% certain to be an ExxP. Well, yay. That narrows it down so much.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, well that interesting, as lately I've been contemplating my type (I don't think I'll ever stop).

I scored really high on sanguine, lets see, my results were:
64 Sanguine (higher than 96%)
29 Melancholy (higher than 27%)
14 Choleric (higher than 25%)
21 Phlegmatic (higher than 21%)

So, basically, according to what the data shows, I'm pretty much 100% certain to be an ExxP. Well, yay. That narrows it down so much.
It narrows you to ENFP.
In ENFPs case Ne stands for sanguine, Si for melancholy, Te for choleric and Fi for phlegmatic. Of course, it depends whether the test is reliable to judge your temperament.

Btw, I am 41% Sanguine, 39% Choleric, 19% Melancholic and 1% Phlegmatic.
Fe is really a sword of two sides, like some unkown INFJ said

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
This is cool, but it's just totally arbitrary. If it were the Color Test instead of based (inexplicably) off the four humors, it wouldn't be so compelling. The same thing with horoscopes... the zodiac gives it this ancient mystical aire that is somehow compelling. Take that mystique away and what do you have? A completely arbitrary simplification with no intrinsic worth or purpose... or, rather, no particular one over another arbitrary system. We can scrap it and do better... but then, where is the mystique and the legitimacy it somehow carries? Thus we prop up systems that should be abandoned or overhauled.

Creating a meta-grouping is just peachy... but why classical temperaments?

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
It narrows you to ENFP.
In ENFPs case Ne stands for sanguine, Si for melancholy, Te for choleric and Fi for phlegmatic. Of course, it depends whether the test is reliable to judge your temperament.

Btw, I am 41% Sanguine, 39% Choleric, 19% Melancholic and 1% Phlegmatic.
Fe is really a sword of two sides, like some unkown INFJ said
Why rely on a test score in the first place? This particular test did give me melancholic-choleric though I have no fucking clue how it did that given how arbitrary and random the questions were I wasn't even sure wtf I was answering half of the time, nor could I humanly pick an answer that I actually thought really fit, and I took another random test just now for the lulz and it gave me phlegmatic. I'm decidedly not.

Shouldn't temperaments be decided on the simple idea to see which description you relate to? Compared to the MBTI there's no fancy function theory behind it, so if you relate to the description you are pretty much done.

·
Registered
430 Posts
This is cool, but it's just totally arbitrary. If it were the Color Test instead of based (inexplicably) off the four humors, it wouldn't be so compelling. The same thing with horoscopes... the zodiac gives it this ancient mystical aire that is somehow compelling. Take that mystique away and what do you have? A completely arbitrary simplification with no intrinsic worth or purpose... or, rather, no particular one over another arbitrary system. We can scrap it and do better... but then, where is the mystique and the legitimacy it somehow carries? Thus we prop up systems that should be abandoned or overhauled.

Creating a meta-grouping is just peachy... but why classical temperaments?
Ahem... *cough*enneagram*cough

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why rely on a test score in the first place? This particular test did give me melancholic-choleric though I have no fucking clue how it did that given how arbitrary and random the questions were I wasn't even sure wtf I was answering half of the time, nor could I humanly pick an answer that I actually thought really fit, and I took another random test just now for the lulz and it gave me phlegmatic. I'm decidedly not.

Shouldn't temperaments be decided on the simple idea to see which description you relate to? Compared to the MBTI there's no fancy function theory behind it, so if you relate to the description you are pretty much done.
Yes, I will only trust my own judgment, but majority of people are clueless.

Since we know what every "humor" mean and it is quite evident on each person - we can add one more fast method of visual/behavioral identification of certain functions/mbti type/socionics/etc (narrowing down, at the least)

How can this information be useful in other way? We can analyze some aspects of the functions in regard of how they manifest themselves on persons exterior, how they influence his behavior. There is a wide chasm between sanguins and melancholics behavior and outlook. You may tell by persons behavior what N-dom he is in a few seconds without asking him a ton of questions and giving him Psychological Types to read.

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
I always thought

Fe/Te dom choleric
xNTP phlegmatic
ESFP sanguine
xNFP melancholic

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
I always get a high level of Melancholic on those damn tests, but I would say that I'm actually Phlegmatic-Sanguine.

TBH I don't really think temperament should be compared to JCF types. I also think of Te dominants as being more phlegmatic than most people make them out to be, for some reason.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I got "sanguine" but I just googled "four temperaments test" and it made me rate myself on one-word descriptions... wha?

·
Registered
707 Posts
I got "sanguine" but I just googled "four temperaments test" and it made me rate myself on one-word descriptions... wha?
did a different test and got Sanguine as the highest, then Melancholic, then Phlegmatic, and very few points in Choleric.

No idea what any of this means :p

·
Registered
707 Posts
did a different test and got Sanguine as the highest, then Melancholic, then Phlegmatic, and very few points in Choleric.

No idea what any of this means :p

Just did a google and apparently you're not supposed to get Sanguine-Melancholic? Though I read it was possible?
I identify with 100% of the Sanguine weaknesses they listed as well as 100% of the Melancholic weaknesses (though I know I am biased with strengths, obviously, so those are less reliable to go by).

I read it was some "rare" combination that few people get? (But who are we kidding... how accurate can these mystical "four temperaments" really be...?)

Maybe this explains why I've yet to find a MBTI type or a cognitive function stack that fits me... #ImBeingASpecialSnowflakeRightNowAndItIsBotheringMe

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Just did a google and apparently you're not supposed to get Sanguine-Melancholic? Though I read it was possible?
I identify with 100% of the Sanguine weaknesses they listed as well as 100% of the Melancholic weaknesses (though I know I am biased with strengths, obviously, so those are less reliable to go by).

I read it was some "rare" combination that few people get? (But who are we kidding... how accurate can these mystical "four temperaments" really be...?)

Maybe this explains why I've yet to find a MBTI type or a cognitive function stack that fits me... #ImBeingASpecialSnowflakeRightNowAndItIsBotheringMe
Well, Keirsey breaks them down by how they communicate, and how they use tools. There are Concrete and Abstract thinkers, and Utilitarian and Cooperative tool users, so...

Concrete, Cooperative types are the Guardians or Melancholic types.
Concrete, Utilitarian types are the Artisan or Sanguine types
Abstract, Utilitarian types are the Rational or Phlegmatic types
and
Abstract, Cooperative types are the Idealist or Choleric types.

BTW, and FTR, Artisan and Idealist types have nothing in common, and Guardian and Rational types have nothing in common.

I don't know how well this all fits with what is commonly thought to be the four temperaments. This is Keirsey's interpretation of it all...

·
Registered
523 Posts
Well, Keirsey breaks them down by how they communicate, and how they use tools. There are Concrete and Abstract thinkers, and Utilitarian and Cooperative tool users, so...

Concrete, Cooperative types are the Guardians or Melancholic types.
Concrete, Utilitarian types are the Artisan or Sanguine types
Abstract, Utilitarian types are the Rational or Phlegmatic types
and
Abstract, Cooperative types are the Idealist or Choleric types.

BTW, and FTR, Artisan and Idealist types have nothing in common, and Guardian and Rational types have nothing in common.

I don't know how well this all fits with what is commonly thought to be the four temperaments. This is Keirsey's interpretation of it all...
This definitely doesn't fit what I got (I took the test from the ENTP thread):

Hail to you who is SANGUINE!!! 79 Sanguine, 21 Melancholy, 21 Choleric, 14 Phlegmatic

Oh how the world needs the Fun Sanguine. The lift of joy in troubled times. The touch of innocence in a jaded era. The gift of humor when we're heavy hearted. The enthusiasm and energy to start over and over again. The creativity and charm to color a drab day. The simplicity of a child in complex situations.

Here is why you totally rock:
You are enthusiastic, excitable, the life of the party, talkative, a story teller, cheerful, sincere, wide eyed & innocent, curious, emotional, demonstrative, and fun. You are adaptable, you live in the present, and you have a good sense of humor. In your workplace, you think up new activities,volunteer for jobs, start in a flashy way, inspire others to join, charm others to work, look great on the surface, have boundless energy, and you are creative and colorful. As a friend you make friends easily, love people, turn disaster into humor, thrive on compliments, seem exciting, are envied by others, don't hold grudges, apologize quickly, prevent dull moments & like spontaneous activities.

Here is how you suck (sorry it is true, but trust me, it'll be okay):
You are a compulsive talker who exaggerates, elaborates, dwells on trivia, gets lost in tangents, and can't remember names. You scare others off, has too much energy for some, you have a loud voice, a loud laugh, and you seem phony to some. You are egotistical, naive, easily angered, immature, frenetic, restless, and disorganized. At work you are forgetful, don't follow through, undisciplined, your priorities are out of order, you would rather talk than work, you decide by feelings, easily distracted, and your confidence fades fast. As a friend you hate to be alone, need to be center stage, want credit, want to be liked and wants to be popular. You dominate conversations, interrupts and don't listen, you answer for others, repeat stories, make excuses and your are fickle.

And yet still, you are everyone's favorite, deservedly so, because you are so wonderful! I mean, everyone has weaknesses, but at least you are interesting! You make life into an adventure. You rock

Not exactly SJ stuff :p
Edit: I read that wrong :frustrating:, I thought it said guardians were sanguine. I suppose it could apply to SP. *goes off to read about Phlegmatic temperament*

·
Registered
797 Posts
I tend to get melancholic-choleric, which does happen to describe me among the temperaments.

But I'd rather use Galen's temperaments, which were based on what humors of the body were thought to do in excess or deficit, for archetype appreciation rather than to explain how people's psyches work.

It is possible to correlate them with JCF, as the OP has done (quite well, given the scopes of the systems), but I'd still use them for the former purpose.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Sanguine-phlegmatic is how I see it.
But chapter 9 of Psychological Types makes a case that such a system is behavioral but doesn't look into a person's psychology.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
71 Sanguine, 0 Melancholy, 29 Choleric, 36 Phlegmatic
"Sanguine Phlegmatic"
Calm down, blood! Calm down. I don't want to lose you.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
Te-dom, Choleric here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts