Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hey Perc members,

I'd like to share a surreal film with you that I made, can you please give me some feedback? :)

PS: It's a bit pretentious, but I just wrote the concept but an INTP wrote the monologue.

Reactions: Fern

·
Registered
260 Posts
I find it hard to put into words exactly how much the emotional and mental peices of that film scared the living daylight (does daylight live?) out of me.
I think I have further become emotionally scarred. The messages was interesting, but it was the visuals, along with the audios, that proved...disturbing.
I come across work like this very rarely. It leaves me no less bewildered and wanting to contemplate it (if it doesn't further pronounce the horrors in my mind) of what I just witnessed and what message the author seeks to get across.
What exactly was your reason for creating this film? What emotional results do you expect from your audience?

·
Registered
120 Posts
o_O

Outstanding. Beautiful.

Intriguing, yet highly disturbing.

Reactions: PhoebeJaspe

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Isn't this the same movie you posted a few months ago? Didn't get the kind of feedback you were hoping for?

To my recollection, the monologue was not present.

I personally liked some of what was said. "The question's not to be or be something, it's to grow or decay." definitely. However, I'd say that ultimately it comes down to what you want to accomplish with this, and if you did or not. You've got to be pleased with it, even if nobody else is. Art is expression, not something can be judged, only shared.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would post a link to my response to the monologue, but I am too young on this forum. @PhoebeJaspe can share it on my behalf. :proud:
I still prefer the first version though (again, I would post a link!).

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I find it hard to put into words exactly how much the emotional and mental peices of that film scared the living daylight (does daylight live?) out of me.
I think I have further become emotionally scarred. The messages was interesting, but it was the visuals, along with the audios, that proved...disturbing.
I come across work like this very rarely. It leaves me no less bewildered and wanting to contemplate it (if it doesn't further pronounce the horrors in my mind) of what I just witnessed and what message the author seeks to get across.
What exactly was your reason for creating this film? What emotional results do you expect from your audience?
Haha, interesting answer! Wow, I'm really pleased that it had that much effect on you. :p The message is simply 'a surreal outlook' on life. The message lies in the way you interpret it as an individual, there are many meanings. My main intention was the concept of binary oppositions, the nihilist character begins work in an office and ends up meditating in the forest with a poncho. It shows opposites, that's the main focus. The original of this piece did not include a monologue, but I'm trying to get this to be shown at a small film festival, the producer told me it needed some narrative guide and a bit longer, and that's what I did!
Yeah, the sounds are a bit overpowering sometimes, but I left the character in his own space from time to time.
Also, yeah, the black goo and pink wig, with tomato being plugged in with a usb was all written by me, I must admit, it was really creepy seeing my thoughts turn into reality. Also, this is a criticism of myself, an enfp, in an office environment, I turn a bit psycho... @[email protected]
3 months working at an oil and gas company really sucked the soul out of me, plus I love surrealism as an art form. I guess the combination got a bit over the top but it makes sense to me, also, I shall be creating more films in the future that concerns lighter subjects filled with beautiful people and intellectual conversations, along with careful set-design. :)

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Isn't this the same movie you posted a few months ago? Didn't get the kind of feedback you were hoping for?

To my recollection, the monologue was not present.

I personally liked some of what was said. "The question's not to be or be something, it's to grow or decay." definitely. However, I'd say that ultimately it comes down to what you want to accomplish with this, and if you did or not. You've got to be pleased with it, even if nobody else is. Art is expression, not something can be judged, only shared.
Yes! It is a remake of Iguana (2012) with monologue, and it has new sound design/score along with extra editing. :)
Also, I did get the feedback I wanted, it is just this time, I'm going to enter it to a small film festival! Because one of my composographs was selected for April's Shorts, I'm going to enter Iguana (2013) into May's Shorts... so this encouraged me to make a new version.

I am pleased with it, it's just producers told me they require some narrative guide, so I inserted a monologue. I'm always happy with what I create, but I've learned over time that my judgement is not enough sometimes. The aim of this is basically glorifying surrealism as an art form and just displaying my skills.

Reactions: SargeMaximus

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Yes! It is a remake of Iguana (2012) with monologue, and it has new sound design/score along with extra editing. :)
Also, I did get the feedback I wanted, it is just this time, I'm going to enter it to a small film festival! Because one of my composographs was selected for April's Shorts, I'm going to enter Iguana (2013) into May's Shorts... so this encouraged me to make a new version.

I am pleased with it, it's just producers told me they require some narrative guide, so I inserted a monologue. I'm always happy with what I create, but I've learned over time that my judgement is not enough sometimes. The aim of this is basically glorifying surrealism as an art form and just displaying my skills.
Awesome! Well good luck with the festival!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Haha, interesting answer! Wow, I'm really pleased that it had that much effect on you. :p The message is simply 'a surreal outlook' on life. The message lies in the way you interpret it as an individual, there are many meanings. My main intention was the concept of binary oppositions, the nihilist character begins work in an office and ends up meditating in the forest with a poncho. It shows opposites, that's the main focus. The original of this piece did not include a monologue, but I'm trying to get this to be shown at a small film festival, the producer told me it needed some narrative guide and a bit longer, and that's what I did!
Yeah, the sounds are a bit overpowering sometimes, but I left the character in his own space from time to time.
Also, yeah, the black goo and pink wig, with tomato being plugged in with a usb was all written by me, I must admit, it was really creepy seeing my thoughts turn into reality. Also, this is a criticism of myself, an enfp, in an office environment, I turn a bit psycho... @[email protected]
3 months working at an oil and gas company really sucked the soul out of me, plus I love surrealism as an art form. I guess the combination got a bit over the top but it makes sense to me, also, I shall be creating more films in the future that concerns lighter subjects filled with beautiful people and intellectual conversations, along with careful set-design. :)
I understand how you feel at times. I work in an office environment, and my Ne can go crazy at the rigidity, rules, regulations, and some of the attitudes of the people around me. I've managed to make people loosen up and laugh. I'm surrounded by a lot of ISTJs with the occassional ISFJ.
I'm not sure I would want my thoughts placed in a movie! Good on you for doing this though; I'm sure you're going to get an interesting set of emotional responses from the audience. The morbid and the disturbing can be interesting, but if you peruse it too much it'll take you places you don't necessarily want to go (I do admit that actually interests me).

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks very good, watched it without sound. The actor looks like Chris Evans. is he your fbuddy?
Not sure who Chris evans is but no, he's a volunteer actor.

Lol. Thanks.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I understand how you feel at times. I work in an office environment, and my Ne can go crazy at the rigidity, rules, regulations, and some of the attitudes of the people around me. I've managed to make people loosen up and laugh. I'm surrounded by a lot of ISTJs with the occassional ISFJ.
I'm not sure I would want my thoughts placed in a movie! Good on you for doing this though; I'm sure you're going to get an interesting set of emotional responses from the audience. The morbid and the disturbing can be interesting, but if you peruse it too much it'll take you places you don't necessarily want to go (I do admit that actually interests me).
Yeah, I agree that morbid/dark things could lead you to unwanted realms within the consciousness, sometimes I wonder how far I could go but I don't want to end up like an INTP, Ti is a scary cognitive function to have and I like exploring using my Fi, into the Ti realm, although I have to say people with Fi, such as INFPs and myself feel a lot more than other types do.

I always have this sort of sorrowful heart-wrenching feeling when I talk to INFPs, when they go off on tangents or explaining an emotion with an experience, it really gets to me because I feel it as well, but you guys definitely feel it all around more than I do.

Art has always been my life, self-expression, human emotions and fears has always been an interest. But I think to make people like my films, I have to step out of that and possibly dwell more into the positive emotions. But this experimental film lead me to think that I have skills to create reactions with surrealism. :D Which feels accomplishing.

What do you do if I may ask? Do you pursue any arts? Isn't self-expression and internal feelings/values most important for you as an infp? I knew an infp marine biologist, he was really unhealthy and would freeze up in crowds and clubs, he even trashed his room because of me, so it got out of hand. Maybe it would have been better if he pursued arts, infps tend to listen to interesting music as well! :D :D :D

Also, my mum is ISXJ and we're not really close, I guess working with ISXJs can be fun, they're so organised and do things in order.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yeah, I agree that morbid/dark things could lead you to unwanted realms within the consciousness, sometimes I wonder how far I could go but I don't want to end up like an INTP, Ti is a scary cognitive function to have and I like exploring using my Fi, into the Ti realm, although I have to say people with Fi, such as INFPs and myself feel a lot more than other types do.

I always have this sort of sorrowful heart-wrenching feeling when I talk to INFPs, when they go off on tangents or explaining an emotion with an experience, it really gets to me because I feel it as well, but you guys definitely feel it all around more than I do.

Art has always been my life, self-expression, human emotions and fears has always been an interest. But I think to make people like my films, I have to step out of that and possibly dwell more into the positive emotions. But this experimental film lead me to think that I have skills to create reactions with surrealism. :D Which feels accomplishing.

What do you do if I may ask? Do you pursue any arts? Isn't self-expression and internal feelings/values most important for you as an infp? I knew an infp marine biologist, he was really unhealthy and would freeze up in crowds and clubs, he even trashed his room because of me, so it got out of hand. Maybe it would have been better if he pursued arts, infps tend to listen to interesting music as well! :D :D :D

Also, my mum is ISXJ and we're not really close, I guess working with ISXJs can be fun, they're so organised and do things in order.
I agree about the INTPs. I have noticed that a lot of them have no issue with going into the dark and morbid. Their Ti allows them to maintain a disconnected observer to it, thereby remaining largely unaffected. I don't like cracking dead baby jokes, or any of that stuff, because it can be a little disturbing.
I also find that going into the dark confines of my mind at times can have a negative impact on me.

I enjoy art, but I can't create it (or at least never seriously tried). I enjoy music, and if I had an electric keyboard I would create some music. I used to own one as a teenager, but ended up selling it. I spent a lot of time just creating music to how I felt.

My job is very Se/Si and Te. I work Business Administration. There is a lot of paperwork, a lot of policies and procedures, and a lot of bureaucracy I have to deal with. It stresses me out and drives me insane, all the more because I hate being competent in my job and I feel the need to excel.
I think I would work better in the field of science, or in something that exercises my enjoyment of writing and twisting language and ideas in and out of context.

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
I would label this a surreal existentialist clip, which is probably what glued me to it.

It has hints of nihilistic futility and subdued angst against the monotonous society we live in.

Question: Was the bleeding computer supposed to represent its humanity? That given its placement in his (our) lives that it is much like a human more than a machine--that which governs him much like government, hence smashing it?

Question 2: Does he then find solace in maddness (which is not really maddness but an individuation from society) with eimple pleasures in the forest--e.g. heat.

Question 3: What do you want to express through this? What were your particular aspirations and inspirations?

I liked this clip, but I couldn't make out some of the imagery's purpose (e.g. the blood coming out his mouth/wig).

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
The narrator sounds like a nihilist.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts