Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! You might remember me from the thread where I shared my cognitive function test, which ended up becoming surprisingly popular. I don't expect the same sort of response for this test because traditional Myers-Briggs theory seems to be a forgotten relic on the Internet, but I am very, very excited to share this test today because we're doing something experimental today. I don't know how well this will work in practice, but this is a concept that I have yet to see in personality testing instruments, and I would love if you would participate in something that I think could really rekindle a sense of collective interest in Myers-Briggs theory. But what is it that I'm so excited about?

It's a three-dimensional Myers-Briggs testing instrument—all official Myers-Briggs testing instruments, as far as I know, utilize only up to two dimensions when testing for a type, and I haven't come across an unofficial instrument that tries something else either.

But to shed light on what this means: a one-dimensional Myers-Briggs test will return only a four letter type with nothing else; a two-dimensional Myers-Briggs test will return a four letter type and highlight how strongly you related to each end of the axes (Form M, Q, or a test like 16personalities); my three-dimensional Myers-Briggs test brings something else into question: how strongly would you say your preference for one side over the other defines you as a person?

This concept came to me when I realized that my "F" preference wasn't really much of a preference for feeling at all because I, as a person, am much more "naturally" (not sure what word I'd use here) E, N, and P than I am F, and I can act very T situationally even though I would never, ever actually test as T. There's a bit of a conundrum here: when taking the official Myers-Briggs test, I found myself always choosing the F answers based on what I tend to value more, even though I see my visible preference as something that oscillates between hard T and hard F depending on the situation I'm placed into (I suspect this is because I'm very NP-focused and less willing to maintain a consistent way of making decisions). I've always called my F preference "passive," "anti-T," "invisible," or "oscillatory" as a result, and I often just leave the third letter out of my type because I feel like that axis as a whole fails to describe me very well as a person. But enough about me—this is a problem that I think exists across the board for people: what about the INTxs? The ExFxs? Those xNxPs? Those are just a few anecdotal patterns I've seen, and I've always wondered what adding a third dimension like this could do for such people.

But all of that third-dimensionality ballyhoo aside, I also wanted to just make a better Myers-Briggs testing instrument. 16personalities is like an awkward Big 5 test, humanmetrics is all over the place, Truity's test is a little bit out there, and even the official scoring instruments don't fare too well under the scrutiny of factor analysis. I took this test and recycled the concepts that seemed to work best for Forms M/Q to make something that might do a better job at getting a type out that people can relate to and agree with.

To quickly go over some concepts:
Raw score — how much you related to the questions solely along the blue/gold sliders; reflected in opacity of your letter preferences
Compared score — how much you related to the questions along both the blue/gold & pink/yellow sliders
Confidence % — experimental metric that tries to figure out if there's a relationship between your blue/gold & pink/yellow sliders
Positivity/negativity — how strongly you believe your blue/gold slider responses define you as a person; reflected in greenness (positive) or redness (negative) of your letter preferences

There's a lot to say, but too little to pull it all out of my head, so I'll gladly respond to any questions or comments you have. Remember to read the instructions before starting.

The test is 24 questions long. How bad can it be? Enjoy!!
Veralyn Sage's Three-Dimensional Myers-Briggs Inventory or Veralyn Sage's Three-Dimensional Myers-Briggs Inventory should both work

·
Banned
15,562 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
I got INTJ. I've always identified most strongly with INFJ, but as far as dichotomies go… Well, this is the first MBTI test I've taken in a long time, and answering these questions, I found that I've developed a preference for thinking. Maybe I should reevaluate my type.
Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 12.33.48 AM.jpg

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
When you said 3D I assumed you were going to employ a combination of MTBI, Cognitive function and stereotype analysis to more accurately determine type, not make a 3D output :) I will give it a crack and see if I can help refine it. Is suspect it may have a T bias.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Sorry I tried but your survey is the definition of T hell. From the “FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHY CANT THE READ THE WRITING FOR THE FREAKING ROSES” cough sorry, had to get that off my chest cough. To the Blue vs Gold Se overload, to the final insult of asking NT to rate how a simple question defines themselves, (It brought a tear, not the good kind.) I had to give up without answering a single question. Now this poor triggered ENTP has to go have a drink after sarcastic post that he probably should of done but had to anyway because my tertiary Fe means I have to try and make the world a better place.
Please don’t hate me, I do love your beautiful ENFP ways.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,527 Posts
@vemurea
This was my result:

chrome_2018-12-13_12-18-07.jpg

I really like your approach because it's definitely something that is missing from both Jung's original theory and the MBTI and it's been bugging me for some time now.

Now, I'm not ENTP, but your results are close to my true type, which is how the letters are highlighted if I read this correctly. PN with low preference in the T/F axis. I do think I have a preference for F>T, (fluctuates in tests) and generally more judger than perceiver but I'm actively trying to let go of my judging bug because it causes me internal conflicts and unhappiness, I'm fairly certain I was a N dom as a kid, then switched to judger due to specific, negative circumstances.

the MBTI doesn't want to capture such nuances because they are stuck to their 16 types and prefer to just stick a "best fit" on people than admit they could do more

I have to say tho all these colours, mostly the background and text & font are a little hard to use, something more plain and minimalist would be easier on the eyes.

The sliders were a little confusing, maybe the right one should be a simple choice between blue or gold and the middle slider smaller? Because it's hard to decide just how far to slide the thing and it has a lot of positions that maybe are unnecessary?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
damn i closed mine but i got ISTJ
I imagine because I'm not so much bothered by saving feelings anymore but I think that's because I'm improving on my Ti.
Thing with tests is it doesn't really take into account where you are at developing your functions.
I'm Ti not Te so I can't be an ISTJ just cause I'm strengthening my Ti over my Fe.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have to say tho all these colours, mostly the background and text & font are a little hard to use, something more plain and minimalist would be easier on the eyes.

The sliders were a little confusing, maybe the right one should be a simple choice between blue or gold and the middle slider smaller? Because it's hard to decide just how far to slide the thing and it has a lot of positions that maybe are unnecessary?
I'll see if I can make it somewhat less noisy… I agree it can be a little hard on the eyes. On the other hand, I'm not sure how I'd redo how the letter type. I could maybe try to make a chart that places you on three axes, or maybe just three bars? I'd have to see what works best. I'm really fond of the color thing but it might need to go, hahaha.

I'm glad you brought up the sliders, too, because I got a bit frustrated taking the test myself. I think a good solution here might be to just split it 50/50 on the page. Also, I think your complaint about the scales being too big (too many increments, that is) is very valid, but with so few questions on this test, I feel like that extra bit of precision is necessary to bring actual variance between results.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
WTF? I'm not an INTP. *kicks imagined tortoise*

Damn, even on a test that hands me the opportunity to cheat on a silver platter, I still get the wrong result.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,527 Posts
I'll see if I can make it somewhat less noisy… I agree it can be a little hard on the eyes. On the other hand, I'm not sure how I'd redo how the letter type. I could maybe try to make a chart that places you on three axes, or maybe just three bars? I'd have to see what works best. I'm really fond of the color thing but it might need to go, hahaha.

I'm glad you brought up the sliders, too, because I got a bit frustrated taking the test myself. I think a good solution here might be to just split it 50/50 on the page. Also, I think your complaint about the scales being too big (too many increments, that is) is very valid, but with so few questions on this test, I feel like that extra bit of precision is necessary to bring actual variance between results.
I didn't mind the result box much, I was referring to the actual font of the text in the test :p

·
Registered
Mafia playing cat
1,125 Posts
Maybe you could put the blue/gold response slider first and then the slider for how your preference defines you? Because I can't figure out how my answer defines me until I answer the question first.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I got INXJ?

·
Registered
9,829 Posts

Oh cool, i tested as an ENFJ!!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts