Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A topic to be carefully analyzed. (I would like your insight)This is a bit long because of all the specifics, but it has great insight and I would like you to share yours after carefully reading mine.

As a careful observer of psychology I became immediately fascinated with the psychology of temperament, MBTI Typology, Enneagram, Sloan test. As a novice I would take several different personality tests. Sometimes I would type as Enfp, other times as ENTP, INTP, INFP, INFJ, and even ISFJ. I became obsessed with typing myself and typing others, something that didn't benefit me in any way, but I enjoyed the hobby. After I saw the complication of doing this I decided to take it upon myself to carefully observe peoples behavior to understand them more thoroughly. Instead of focusing on broad questions such as is the person an extrovert or an introvert, does he engage with people or not, I asked questions such, as why did the person choose to engage with others, why did he chose to isolate themselves, how much energy do they give off, are they approachale, are they unapproable. Do they engage with others because they enjoy being with others like the sanguine or did they approach others only in an effort to get something out of the crowd but weren't very people persons like the choleric. Did they isolate themselves, because they were shy but still desired to connect with others like the supine or did they isolate themselves because they didn't want human contact like the melancholic or simply didn't give a shit and could have it either way like the phlegmatic. I focused on the conversations they have, what they talk about, is it usually objective and not personal, or is it usually subjective and personal.

Do they focus on the practical technical and tangible as well as protocols. The practical and tangible and the well being and service of others, do they dwell their own imagination, share their possibilities and insights with others, their dreams and ideals for situations and the world and giving encouragement or do they simply focus on the problems, the system, and theoretical frameworks. I focused on their facial as expressions their eyes, how emotional they became when insulted, and giving advice, how they handled anger, did they suppress it, forget about is or became loud aggressive and physical. I focused on how they handled fear, and how they handled shame and rejection, how much much did they sugar coat the truth, how much space did they took in a social environment, how much did they conformed to the rules and expectations they did not agree with. How are their work ethics. Are their organized or not, do they prefer decisions made or options open, do they execute without thinking or think without executing or both. Very important observation was how open minded and curious they were.

According to MBTI, one cannot use their shadow functions unless under extreme stress and according to some, one shouldn't attempt to become balanced, because you will go nowhere. I came to question this because after analyzing all of this including myself, I came to realize that people are simply too complex to be categorized into branch types. I'm almost certain I relate more to the INTP, as my strongest function is Introverted Thinking. I enjoy dissecting information, taking it apart and seeing how each piece works separately before I put it all together, analyzing and reflecting. I have a philosophical streak. However according to MBTI, an INTP cannot have Fi in it's functional stack and I wanted to call bluff to that, because I too can consult my inner value system and judge information based on how I feel about it. I am human so I can remember something that someone did to me and become angry or sad and sometimes, although rarely desire revenge. Fi is in a way an infants dominant function. It cries and becomes angry or sad when it doesn't get its milk or something to chew on, it feels for itself. Thus this allows me to treat people how I want to be treated. My Fe is very low considering I can barely make facial expressions to show how I feel and I'm not sensitive to social norms and expectations or traditions, although I comply so an extent to keep peace, but I try to be polite as possible with people, treating them kindly, unless I think they are wrong about a concept, fact or simply did something wrong, then I will be blunt not be afraid to hurt their ego and feelings or argue for the fun of it. That is Ti, Fi, and Fe at work. Im a salesman after all I need Fe. I just don't let Fi cloud my judgement or Fe make me become a sheep that is easily influenced by others feelings or opinions. I do however take it into consideration to feed my introverted thinking.

If I say so myself I am a pretty balanced person. I can live in the present without forgetting that there's more to life then meets the eye, I can feel and be intuned with my emotions without letting them cloud my judgement, I can use logic without forgetting about peoples feelings I can think and reflect before executing. I am not extremely outgoing nor reserved. I have an even temperament. The only functions I need to improve on are my Se, and my Te. I think of so many things that I sometimes look awareness of my surroundings and don't actively pay attention to sensory information. And my ability to manipulate my environment in such a way to get a finished result in a project is also poor. Te and Se are both very low. However I have both Ni and Ne, even though mbti suggests one needs Se for Ni, I'm perfectly capable of intuitively seeing connections and generate multiple possibilities of the object or subject at hand (Ne) and I can, using my Ni see the way through all the possibilities subconsciously as I explore everything. My Si and past experiences and lesson as well and poor developed Se contribute to my abilities to make connection and everything is judged with my Ti, before I take a step further.

If I were a crime scene investigator or forensic technician, and I walk into a crime scene, I require Se to carefully observe my surroundings and details in each evidence, while I'm observing everything I'm certain my Si will be at work, because if I've been in enough crime scenes, I'm certain thoughts and memories will play about similar crime scenes, and when object, I will be able to make connections and generated possibilities on how the evidence was used in the crime and how the crime could have unfolded, My Ni will work when I envision everything in my mind, somewhere along the lines my Ni could kick in guide me to the most accurate possibility, almost like epiphany, could be induced by the Se or a memory. All of this is being dissected and analyzed with my Introverted thinking. My Te is dormant and so is my Fe and Fi, until I need it or they appear on their own such as becoming sad about a piece of evidence or i am conversing with a fellow investigator, or maybe at a freaking dinner party.

I believe everyone is capable of using all functions, its simply that others obsess over one function and focus on just that. For example Dominant Fe users focus too much on what others feel and want and make it their purpose to serve others, kind of how enneagram type (2) is emotionally expressive and wants to be loved and serve other. Enneagram type 4 is the individualist that wants to stand out and find its purpose and is emotionally underexpressive, like the (Fi) typically INFP that is very emotional especially when their values as crossed and attempt to find their purpose. Many emos are infp and enneagram type 4. Ti users and some Te users obsess over understanding things deeply like enneagram type 5 (the observer or investigator.) others live to gain power and instill fear and dominance. Like most ESTJ'S and ENTJ'S and enneagram type 8. Some people live just to live and follow traditions without questioning anything or trying anything new because they are phobic creatures that are lost in the world, like dominant Si users and enneagram type 6. Some live to achieve and gain recognition like enneagram type 3 and the opportunistic ESTP, while others live to have fun and explore, like enneagram type 7 and the ESFP and ENFP and the list goes on. If I go into their fears and hidden agendas I won't sleep tonight writing this. Either I am a freak of nature for being able to develop some of my shadow functions and use it without problem, or this MBTI theory is bullshit. It is question right now.

These two great articles helped me understand MBTI and the cognitive functions. And the best process of decision making

http://www.veterinaryteambrief.com//article/4-mbti-function-pairs

http://mbtitoday.org/carl-jung-psychological-type/

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
OP, that's why i find so difficult to type myself, you didn't enlightened me, i have gone through all that processes. Whether is true or bullshit doesn't matter as long as you don't go completelly nuts on people by categorizing and segregating them on real life for being too for example ESFJs. For me it's a hobby, lately i find myself more interested in discussing with people than on the theory itself.
All social/natural sciences are like that, flat earth ---> round earth, hypothesis into conclusions, facts, whatever. Progression, maybe in time we'll see if it's right or not, today it's about speculation, but go on make a inmense theory and have a forum about it, congregate and seduce people from all over the world, it's trully magical in that sense.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
According to MBTI type theory, you can use all of the preferences (functions - S/N/T/F), but you are naturally inclined to two over the others. They liken it to handedness, as in naturally preferring to use the left, but you can still learn to use your right.

I have not read any literature where MBTI accepts the shadow functions theory.

All that aside, my personal belief is that yes, you can use all of the functions, but the question is, which do you generally use most. There is a difference when your ego is oriented by a given function and focusing on a given function sometimes.

I also think that Ti and Fi can appear very similar. I am reminded of this quote from Jung:

Jung on Fi said:
Primordial images are, of course, just as much idea as feeling. Thus, basic ideas such as God, freedom, immortality are just as much feeling-values as they are significant as ideas. Everything, therefore, that has been said of the introverted thinking refers equally to introverted feeling, only here everything is felt while there it was thought.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts