Personality Cafe banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some 'type me's on other forums before, but I've always mentioned my test results or types I think I am, and I've always gotten the feeling that that influenced what people told me. I'd really like to know how people type me without me saying 'oh yes, and I'm between XXXX and ZZZZ.' I apologize for this being so long.

1. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

I was depressed for 6 years of my life, but I am no longer experiencing a depressive episode. I have generalized anxiety disorder, but it has gotten better with time.
25 year old woman.

2. Study these two images*here*and*here. Which one do you prefer and why? How would you describe it?

I prefer the first one, although I do not really like either of these images. They’re both blandly appealing, like a wallpaper for your desktop. I have to go with the first one because at least it seems to have some sort of interesting color contrast going on, an aurora borealis, and it’s always pleasant to observe the surface of the water. The second image, I really dislike. Very bland color palette and an image that seems designed to manipulate me into thinking that whoever is using this image is a friendly person! Look, a woman drinking coffee, but we’ve left her head out of the shot so her actual facial expressions need not concern you! There’s a croissant! We’re so warm and friendly! There’s nothing interesting about this image. No framing, no color scheme, no subject matter. It’s a stock photo for an article describing New Trends for Cafes 2019. At least the other one has more colors, despite being a bland unoriginal side angle of the beach.

3. Please describe yourself as a person if you were to introduce yourself to someone else like in a cover letter. What kind of person are you and why?

I am a person who likes learning about things, researching, discussing it. I love doing my own research on topics and writing it up. I spend a lot of time just reading and thinking about, well, things. In conversation, I tend to prefer to either talk about subjects that have a lot of potential to be argued and explored (e.g. to what extent does writing influence language change?), or silly absurd nonsense (if this room were a level in Metal Gear Solid, how would you escape it?). I am rather easy-going and tend to be “down for whatever.” It takes me a while to get used to new people, so I will be quiet in a large group full of people I don’t know, but I like talking in small groups to people I know. I tend to prefer being alone, but I am a good friend.

4. What kind of person would you LIKE to be? Why? What kind of person would you NOT want to be? Why?

I would like to be a person who is more organized. I feel that a lack of organization has held me back from things I’ve wanted to achieve. I would like to be a person who works on a more consistent basis. My typical working process is unpredictable. I cannot put out the same quantity or quality of work every day. While I get what I want done at the end of the deadline, it is still frustrating to me that I am not using my time as “efficiently” as I could be.

I would not want to be a person who is dishonest and manipulative and misrepresents things for personal gain. I don’t think I am in danger of becoming such a person, as I utterly despise these things. People who succeed by lying are not achieving anything interesting; they’re merely going outside the system and saying “I won.” It’s annoying and not really worthy of admiration. It also causes mutual trust to break down. I mostly don’t want to be a person who is willing to destroy things around me to get what I want. I also don’t want to be a person that just takes and takes and never produces anything. I don’t want to be dependent on others. I want to know that, to a reasonable extent, I am a person who can take care of myself. I would not want to be a leech. For one, I don’t think that’s a good way to live. And leeches are always at risk of being removed.

5. Do you think there are any differences to how you described yourself and how people actually perceive you? How do you think others would describe you? If there are any discrepancies between these two that are you are aware of; do you know why exactly that is?

I perceive myself as having more social graces than I actually do. Compared to some people who seem to have no social skills whatsoever, I appear to be the paragon of tact and sensibility. But compared to the average person, I am below average in this category. People regular perceive my innocent questions as “going too far,” “wanting to win at all costs,” and “personal attacks.” I used to be far worse at this, and I know I’ve improved, but apparently I’m not up to snuff yet with the average person. Certainly not more tactful. I try to do my best, but I can walk away from an interaction thinking I handled it well and apparently the other person is convinced I am trying to humiliate them by engaging their arguments.

6. What in life do you find to be of importance? Why? If you are unsure you can always take the*Value Test*and post the results here. Do note that it helps if you narrow it down to 20 or ideally 10 values as suggested at stage 2.

I think seeing to understand things well is important. Being independent is important. I tend to view relying on other people as burdening them, and I do not want to burden others. I know no man is an island, but I still prefer to be independent, and it would probably trouble me on some level to have to rely heavily on other people to survive in a direct manner (e.g. if I had a chronic illness). I do not think disabled people are a burden or shouldn’t be taken care of, but I recognize it would cause me distress to be in that situation. I think fairness is important, and defending fairness as a sort of duty. Avoiding cruelty is important.

7. How do you react to new situations in your life? Can you describe an event in your life where you were in an unknown situation? How did you deal with it?

I tend to anticipate new situations with a lot of dread and fear about losing what I have. However, when the time comes to actually change, I simply do it with little fanfare. I was terrified of living on my own for university, but once I actually moved in, the dread went away entirely and I became used to it right away. I was afraid of starting a new job, but I was able to blend in and succeed right away as soon as I got there. I tend to overestimate how bad change will be, but I am more adaptable than I think I am.

8. Please describe yourself when you are in a stressful situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

Let’s say I’m in college and I have to turn in a paper, but I haven’t done as much work on it as I would have liked and now the deadline approaches. I am annoyed that I will have to do so much work, and frustrated that past me didn’t put in the work to spare current me from this situation. Now I not only need to do the work, but I need to manage the anxiety and stress. I may attempt to manage the anxiety by doing something pleasant, like getting a coffee or playing video games, but this is treating the symptom and not the cure, and now I have to deal with feeling guilty I’m not doing anything productive and still feeling stressed out. At some point I decide that there’s no time to waste and I must actually get to work on the thing in question, and so I buckle down and do the most that I can. I will just be totally focused on getting the paper done, and while I’m doing the work probably finding new and interesting approaches to the paper. Unfortunately due to the time, I will not be able to explore any of them in depth. I will be annoyed at myself for this as well. Ultimately I turn in a paper that is still very good and creative, but not the best paper I could have possible produced given the amount of time I had to do it.

I rarely fail at tasks that stress me out. My problem is time management, which I am trying to improve via artificial support systems (e.g alarms, telling my friends to remind me to do something, telling myself I cannot do X until I do Y), to mixed success. I don’t think I will ever be effortlessly organized, but when I put in the work, it does pay off in terms of producing something that is more thought-through and which results in less stress for me at the end.

9. Please describe yourself when you are in an enjoyable situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

When I’ve been working on something for a while and I realize what I need to do to solve it… and it actually works… that puts me in a great mood. I feel like my work has paid off, that my intuitions were correct, and that I can basically do anything. This can be anything from figuring out how to explain a phenomenon that is happening in a theoretical way (e.g. why is ‘so’ being used more frequently in non-adverbial senses? Potential answer - ‘so’ is serving a discoursive purpose and marking topics, and English lacks a topic marker).

I like being in a small group and playing some kind of game together. I like silly things like that Jackbox game ‘monster dating monster’ where you get to give people stupid pickup lines, but there’s still an aspect of strategy to the game. Working together towards a shared goal is also cool, because you get to experience what can happen beyond the power of a single person.

I’m also happy just walking somewhere I’ve never been before, listening to music, and alternating between daydreaming and noticing my surroundings. It’s free and pure, in a sense. No obligations at that moment, just exploration, either of my surroundings or of a topic. I love being alone and just going somewhere new.

10. Describe your relationship to socialization. How do you perceive one-on-one interaction? How do you perceive group interaction?

My ideal socialization group is probably a total of 3 to 5 people (myself included), most of whom I know well. There can be one person I’m not familiar with, but if I know the rest, I will feel more confident. One-on-one conversations are okay, but they are also taxing as I feel I have to put a lot of work into maintaining the conversation. If there’s one more person there, I can toss the ball to them, so to speak, and take a break. If there are too many people, it can be difficult to handle and I find large groups naturally splinter into smaller groups anyway. I find one-on-one conversations with people I’m not familiar with to be awkward and difficult because I tend to have a small number of niche interests and struggle to find common ground with most people. Large groups of unknown people are even worse because I tend to get talked over and ignored. Meeting new people is therefore difficult for me. I either need to be ‘adopted’ by someone who is friendlier and also has common interests, or I need to meet friends of a friend, who have therefore been ‘vetted’ by a person I trust.

11. Describe your relationship to society. What are the elements of it you hold important or unimportant (e.g. social norms, values, customs, traditions)? How do you see people as a whole?

This… would be so long, so many pages, and would require a lot of work to actually make. I don’t think anyone will read that, so I’ll try to give a quick and dirty answer.

I used to utterly hate social norms, traditions, things that were done because people in the past said we had to do them and now we just keep doing them. I always rubbed up against tradition in some way. I liked video games and didn’t care about looking pretty when everyone said girls should like talking to friends and looking pretty. I didn’t see why me being a girl meant I had to do anything in particular. It’s not harmful to anyone. It’s not harmful to me. Clearly, the “if you’re a girl, you must like this” thing is wrong since I am a girl and I liked that. Why was it so hard for family and peers to accept me? Some of them were disturbed that I broke their system, and seemed to think that I should try to adapt to it anyway to avoid disturbing others. Others thought the system was stupid, but that playing along was a matter of survival. Why try to change it; it’s unchangeable. It was obvious to me that it could change, but people did not want to. That stubbornness extended to many social graces and customs. Why is it bad to put your elbows on the table? It’s so uncomfortable to do otherwise. Why is it impolite? Because someone didn’t like it in the past?

I realize now that social customs aren’t entirely without merit. Politeness, in particular, is a useful social protocol to ensure that people are able to communicate without damaging each other’s psyche, much like traffic rules are a useful protocol to ensure that people are able to travel in cars without damaging each other’s vehicle or body. I have tried to get better at these rules and found that it makes interactions go smoother. That being said, unlike traffic rules, rules of politeness are contextual and not written down anywhere, and so it’s more like having to learn traffic rules by getting hit or hitting someone else over and over. And also, if the traffic rules were different depending on whether you were driving next to a bunch of Toyotas as opposed to Hyundais. I also feel like rules of politeness are rarely re-evaluated for how useful they are, and to even bring it up is seen as an affront to politeness itself. I therefore think politeness needs an overhaul to serve a more diverse number of people and get better results. I am ultimately still annoyed by social graces and customs and expectations and find it tiring to have to keep them all in account.

12. Describe your relationship to authority. How do you perceive authority? What does it mean to you, and how do you deal with it?

Authority for authority’s sake is silly. Authority must be justified by serving some kind of common cause or having a consistently good outcome, and even then authority ought to be able to be changed if something better is found. I don’t think authority is justified because it is authority. For example, I’m not supposed to rip a DVD to get the file on my computer. Now, I understand that it takes money to make a movie, and I respect that people making movies deserve to be compensated for their craft. But why can’t I just get the file myself? Why is there so much control over when and where I can see the movie? I don’t follow that rule because I think it’s unjustified, and moreover it’s a small potatoes type thing. I wouldn’t call it civil disobedience. I’m not a crusader for justice if I rip a DVD.

That being said, I am aware that authority has the power to execute socially sanctioned violence on me if I do not follow it, so I try to be aware of it for self-preservation reasons. I also think there is merit to having everyone agree on a set of rules and then following them. That’s not to say the rules should never be changed, but in some situations following rules is more efficient than constantly changing them and justifying them. The problem then is deciding when authority is justified.

I generally do not seek positions of authority. When I attempt to sort of use hierarchical power, it doesn’t turn out well because people just ignore me anyway. I prefer people to be self-starters and get things done themselves without having to rely on me to be the boss telling them what to do. The only type of authority I would seek is to be the authority (expert) on a certain topic - and even then, I shouldn’t be blindly believed in everything I say due to being an “authority.” What I say should still be evaluated according to whether it’s true and makes sense.

13. Describe your relationship to order and chaos. What do order and chaos mean to you? How do they manifest in your daily life?*

Order is something I strive towards, but do not really achieve. I am not a naturally ordered person. My room tends to be disorganized and messy. My folders are messy and random as well. I have to check at least three different folders to find out where I save any particular document. I think order - some sort of structure - is helpful in moving through the world. I try to adopt order into my life, such as by coming up with a system to organize my clothes or to organize my files. But then I get caught up in what ‘the best’ system would be, or ‘the purest’ one. For example, say I want to organize all my songs into playlists based on mood. But I only want every song to appear in one playlist. When creating playlists, I realize that there’s a song that could go in two categories. I could just add the song to both, but then that feels like a failure of the system. I spend a lot of time coming up with a more sophisticated system to handle these edge cases, but more always come up. In the end, I just add the song to both playlists, or create one big playlist and put all my songs there. The ordered playlists weren’t useless - they’re still great if I need to find a list of songs I think have something in common (‘songs from 70s’, ‘songs about striving in the face of failure’, ‘songs in 3/4 time’). But I am not going to maintain it perfectly and rigorously.

Chaos is something that complicates life, but you also need to learn to roll with the chaos. Chaos can take you places you didn’t even think of before. In that sense, chaos can inform order - just as my attempt at order ultimately created its own chaos. If I find that I tend to just add a bunch of songs to playlists in one fell swoop, for example, I can notice that and use that to inform future playlists I make, or remove songs from previous ‘batches’ that I no longer listen to. Chaos is a little underrated, but you cannot really choose what you get from chaos. Order promises to give you the thing you want - organize your playlists and you’ll always find a way to get the songs you want. Chaos… who knows what it gives you. Add a bunch of songs to one big playlist and notice the patterns in the big ol’ playlist. Hmm, I never noticed that I like songs with titles that are exactly 3 words long. (That’s not real but it’s an example.)

14. What is it that you fear in life? Why? How does this fear manifest to you both in how you think and how you act?

One of my biggest fears is ending up homeless. Despite having a relatively nice socioeconomic status and a supportive safety net, it is nevertheless something that terrifies me. Being in a place where I am vulnerable to being assaulted physically and have very little control over my life is frightening to me. I generally fear being in a situation where I am unable to exert any amount of control over my life, and moreover have no hope that I will be able to exert control in the future.

I tended to catastrophic a lot as a result of depression, and so I was able to link any minor failure to homelessness. For example, if I do poorly on this test, I will get a lower grade. This will lower my GPA, which will make me unattractive to colleges. If that happens, I will be unable to get a job, because the only job I would be good at is one that requires a college degree. Once my safety net dies, I will be out on the street with no way to get back. Therefore, I must do well, because otherwise I will end up in this situation. This is disordered thinking, and nowadays I am much more realistic about what my failures are really like. I still accept that it is possible for something catastrophically bad to happen to me - every single person I know and love getting a heart attack, my employers shutting down, and my living space burned down to a crisp, thus rendering me homeless. But there’s nothing I can do to prevent such a crazy thing from happening, and it is incredibly improbable. And even if it did happen, while it would doubtless be traumatizing and difficult, I now have confidence in myself that I would be able to find a way to stay alive.

15. What is it that you desire in life? What do you strive to achieve? Why? Where do you think these drives and desires stem from or are inspired by?

I really want to make or discover things that are useful. One of my hobbies is doing a lot of original research by applying aspects of an academic field to something that most people do not approach in an academic way. I don’t want to state exactly what it is, but let’s say it’s something along the lines of applying music theory to popular music and looking at it from a historical point of view - how has the harmonic language of pop music changed? What has caused these changes? Although the work I do is a little nerdy for most people and I am afraid that (a) people will not understand or be interested, (b) perhaps I am wrong and then I am spreading misinformation, ultimately I’ve had a lot of people tell me that they find the articles interesting and that they learn a lot from it. I feel an immense sense of pride when I see people cite me entirely on their own - it makes me feel like I’ve made some useful contribution to human knowledge, and that the work I’m doing makes sense.

I don’t quite know where these desires stem from. People who did things like this were the sorts of people I admired. I don’t really have ‘role models’, but I do have a special admiration for people who saw that there was research missing in a particular field and then set out to do it themselves, and then freely distributed that research to others. It is not self-interested (although it’s not exactly ‘selfless’); it’s interested in spreading knowledge and truth and helping others find what it is. That’s a positive and noble thing to strive for. The more we know about the world, the better equipped we are to live in it and make decisions that can benefit us all.

16. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

I feel like no activities really energize me. The only thing that really energizes me is getting a good night’s sleep. Everything else takes up more or less energy. The things that take up the most energy would be something like talking to a bunch of people I don’t know. I have to put in a lot of work to manage myself, since being the unfiltered me tends to turn people away if they haven’t been eased into it yet. I also have to manage other people, in a sense, especially if they are in an emotionally disturbed state. Although I like being there for my friends, having to ‘play therapist’ is extremely taxing for me. I need to take all points of view into account to determine what really happened, and then try to consider what my friend thinks they need or what they actually need, and what they are receptive to. It is a very dynamic process, so I have to be totally aware and in the moment in order to help them out. The knowledge that it’s very easy for me to mess up also stresses me out and uses up more of my energy.

There are some activities that make me feel energized, although they do not restore my energy, if that makes sense. For example, if I had a really good conversation with some friends about some topic, I might be in a positive, go-getter mood going home from the encounter. If I finish some chores ahead of time, thus freeing up my schedule, that makes me feel more motivated to do things. If I do a good job on a project that I am doing on my own time, that may motivate me to continue doing more than I had planned. However, this is a matter of being motivated, and my motivation occasionally exceeds my energy stores.

17. Why do you want to know your type? What type do you think you are? Why this/these type(s)? Is there a type that appeals to you, to your self-perception, that you would like to be? Why? If you know your*enneagram, please post this here. If you have done any online function tests such as the*Keys2Cognition, it helps if you post these results here as well.

I think I know what type I am, but in the past every time I’ve down one of these ‘type me’ things, I’ve always told people what I think I am, and I am concerned that that has biased the result. I really wanted to know, what would happen if I asked people to type me and I didn’t tell them what type I thought I was? After all, perhaps my suspicion is incorrect. There are many things about the type I am that make sense, but there are some things that don’t match up. I want to know, I guess, what ‘real type’ I could be. Maybe I like the type I think I am because it gives me an excuse to be a certain way, or because it sounds cool. I tend to be pretty aware of my motivations, so I do not think that’s the case, but I am open to the possibility that that is not the type that makes the most sense for me.

I don’t know my enneagram. I think 5 probably matches up pretty well, but I’m not sure which wing makes sense. I also don’t see myself reflected in the tritypes. I’m generally not interested in the enneagram except in the sort of generic sense that personality typing systems are interesting to me. (And I know enneagram is more about motivation than personality…. but I wasn’t sure which word describes the whole ‘learn about humans via this system’ thing best.)

I’ve done keys 2 cognition but I didn’t save my results and I don’t feel like taking the test again at this very moment. I also am interested in knowing what people would type me as without a test result or me talking about cognitive functions. I’ve always done the whole talking about cognitive functions thing, so I’d like to give being ‘typed’ without talking about the functions thing a try.

Many thanks to anyone who reads this; it is much appreciated.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts