Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was reading the book 'Hidden Empire' by Orson Scott Card (sequel to 'Empire') and found this quote, I was wondering INTP opinions on it.

“People know many things, and half of them are wrong. If only we knew which half, we’d have reason to be proud of our intelligence.
What is knowledge? A belief that is shared by all of the respectable people in a community, whether there is any real evidence for it or not.
What is faith? A belief we hold so strongly that we act as if it is true, even though we know there are many who do not believe it.
What is opinion? A belief that we expect other people to argue with.
What is scientific fact? An oxymoron. Science does not deal in facts. It deals in hypotheses, which are never fully and finally correct.”
-Orson Scott Card ‘Hidden Empire’

·
Registered
427 Posts
This actually reminds me of another quote that my dad likes to remind, it went something like: ...repeat an action - you get a habbit, repeat the habbit you get your character, repeat the character- get fate.
Maybe I missed one, anyways...I like that quote and I like the one from "Hidden empire", what it says is true in my opinion, the only part that distrubes alittle is that "half of the knowledge is wrong" I'd say most of it is wrong or faulty, but I understand what he's saying and I agree with him!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a character who is believed to have been a starter of a conspiracy to change the world, starting with a Civil War in America. He simply sets thing in motion and sees what happens then adjusts and goes through his plan, eventually becoming President of the US and making major world changes (I suspect he is written like an INTJ although ENTJ could also fit in I guess.). This is a quote at the start of a chapter titled 'Brave Boys' and it is an address from him as President. He is almost like the Philosopher King described by Plato, his future would be awesome and tragic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts