Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

now this might be offtopic but as the subforums topic is INFJ - THE PROTECTORS I think I should give a word of warning.

As many of you probably know, our "beloved" economic system isnt the best system in the universe :frustrating:.

The system has deliberate and inherent system flaws ("interest") and will therefore implode at some point. Thats btw why history always repeats itself. Keyword: 1930s.

The question is not if, but when. The current situation looks bad, therefore the system can crash anytime now. However, nobody knows if deflation comes first and then hyperinflation, or just hyperinflation, so there are no "safe havens".

Please note that I as INFJ hate to talk about the damn money, but you might loose your life savings if you dont act accordingly, so I thought I should warn you.

My advice...SPLIT YOUR ASSETS and keep only a certain amount of money on the bank (preferrably "overnight deposits"). Get out of long term investments / insurances / stocks and sh*t like this. You can keep a fair amount of cash, in case of deflation, for example in small notes, for example in a safe at home (or some other location which you think is safe).

This way, you can never loose all your eggs in the basket. You will probably loose some eggs, but other eggs in the basket will become bigger, at least momentarily, just dont forget to sell them when they are biggest to make up for the lost eggs.

In the current situation, I suggest you buy land, a small flat, gold/silver coins, tools, emergency rations like BP-5 or NRG-5, pay off your debts as quickly as possible, buy a remote farm, prepare for bad times, fix up your house etc. etc..

If you want to know the theory behind my reasoning you can for example read books by Margrit Kennedy.

puzzledheart

P.S.: Oh and I wanted to change the title to "A word of warning about the coming economic crash" or something but forgot to edit the title. And now I cant. So its "a word of warning" now, which is at least more mysterious. LOL :laughing:

P.P.S.: We are all going to die anyway :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: (just try to make sure not as beggar - but hey, I have nothing against beggars!)

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Thank you for the recommendation and words of warning. (BTW, could Mrs Kennedy's book be Interest and Inflation Free Money?)

If global monetary system would crash, paper money will be no use. Precious metal such as gold would be better than money. Health and survival skill would increase the odds.

Many movies depicting feature world showed virtual currency, like scanning a chip to add or deduct money. It's like points earned from game playing. You can use the points to trade for goods and services but the points are not paper money.

As for stock market crash, the US economy is stagnant but not so gloomy. The companies that provide basic needs would be OK. I had thought about taking out some money to keep under mattress in case Electromagnetic pulse causing power outage to disable ATMs. Then again, if that's the case, what can my money buy? The stores would be looted clean.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Best currency for the world after is skills, but collecting rain and planting potatoes ain't as sexy as guns and gold is it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
this seems a tad eccentric to me :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I've seen the signs that all of it can last without a complete collapse for at least another seven or eight years (at the rate it is all going).

I think all of the powers that be can lie a bit and cover up the worst of it until at least 2022, and after that, the cat is out of the bag.

I'm still hoping that some outside influence comes in (that doesn't look obvious as of yet) to change the way money and resources are being used, so I'm looking for that before I give up on the following decade.

I can go further, but I don't want to delve into a talk on politics and economic trends. :blushed:

When I start seeing the powers that be start to resign and disappear to vacation homes in the Cayman Islands and Costa Rica, I'll know the game is up. :shocked:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
My country has had those "We Buy Gold!" pop up shops littered all over the place the last few years.

My feeling: No one will want gold or precious metals. I agree with my post apocalyptic fiction. They will want cigarettes, painkillers and alcohol. But if there is no worse case scenario, you end up with useless expired junk. Alcohol that goes up in value as it ages is probably the best option. Not that I'm in any position to buy those. :laughing:

But even if you make preparations, jerks will inevitably come and steal your stuff. :dry:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Just to echo what's been said above, I've heard that gold and silver will be useless in very desperate times. If you're desperate, you're going to want food and the basics. So will everyone else. No one's going to want your shiny rings and coins, they'll be worthless. They'll want food, just like you most of all. We'll be trading skills and services instead of money, gold will be just as worthless as our paper money will be.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My feeling: No one will want gold or precious metals. I agree with my post apocalyptic fiction. They will want cigarettes, painkillers and alcohol. But if there is no worse case scenario, you end up with useless expired junk. Alcohol that goes up in value as it ages is probably the best option.
I've heard that gold and silver will be useless in very desperate times. If you're desperate, you're going to want food and the basics. So will everyone else. No one's going to want your shiny rings and coins, they'll be worthless. They'll want food, just like you most of all. We'll be trading skills and services instead of money, gold will be just as worthless as our paper money will be.
I agree with both of you, thats very well possible. Thats why I also mentioned "buy emergency food" like BP-5 or NRG-5. Of course, alcohol is also a good option. Or cigarettes, but I dont know how long they last ;-)

Still remember, even if gold, coins, jewelry etc. become worthless temporarily, or are prohibited, you can still dig a deep hole and throw the sh*t in. As long as nobody sees you you can still dig it out later and have your money back :) (or just hide it really good somewhere).

I guess this wont work for electronic money you once had on your bank acccount or for paper money because currencies tend to become worthless forever. They simply print new sh*t later of course, but that does not help you, as they wont take your old notes (or the computer chips or electrons that made up your bank account) ;-)

The problem is when you have to trade a gold coin for a piece of bread, because thats a very uneven barter, so SPLIT and buy supplies as well so that you never get into such a situation.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Food storage is good :)
Here's an easy way to save water: take your empty milk and 2 liter soda jugs and fill them up with water and then put them in a safe place. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@hopebest
Another good tip is to fill your bathtub with water etc. if the water system is about to break down. This way you can store a lot of water at once if you run out of containers.

For long term water storage, plastic bottles are - funny enough - very good because they can be used to desinfect water in conjunction with sun rays:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_water_disinfection
I am referring to SODIS here because it is so simple.
The chemicals in the plastic are of course not healthy, but contaminated water is MUCH worse than possible trace amounts of chemicals coming from the plastic, therefore this is a good method. Just put water in PET bottles and put them on the roof or somewhere on a sunny day to desinfect the water.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yeah, Chicken Little, I've been hearing about the various ways the sky is falling since I was a child and I'm an old bat now. Good luck with that, though. I can see the zombies won't catch you napping.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts