Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A world without names is where I live. A road without destinations is what I walk. A home without walls is where I reside. Why am I the only one who sees? Why am I cursed with the deep seeded desire to know, which penetrates through all the falsities which emerge in ordinary life? And what is the end of these falsities to hypnotize us into thinking we are something we are not, so that we can never open eyes to the truth? I can never just go to sleep like others I know and rest upon the whims of external forces to move me; no I am cursed with the desire to want to be the source of my own movements and thinking. And my movements move me in unknown directions, blindfolded I am to the imaginations of control that people find themselves investing in. I know I do not control anything, I am nothing, and I accept that. But I want to be something, I want to be… I want a real name. I know I do not have a real name that I can call my own. In this world we are given names from birth, told who we are, but never are we told to “find” our names, to discover what will be our identity.

Can an identity truly be given? What will occur when all those who call me by this name are gone, who will remind me of my existence then, since this name that I am not, is how I am recognized? Is there a reason to live on in a lie, as if this identity I call “I” has any truth to it whatsoever? I know on this path I travel or better said travail, there is no destination. There is no fairy tale ending, no happily ever after. So why do I walk it? The road is its goal, a home does not await me, and there can be no rest yet. My feet are made to walk and become bruised in order to be strengthened. The seeking for a destination deprives one from the beatitude of living. So why are we hypnotized in this lie of becoming? Whose burden is it that we are carrying? Each person, in the course of their life, should sit in front of a mirror and stare into the lie that they have come to identify themselves with and ask themselves, without lying, excuse or justification, WHAT DO I SERVE? In life you are always serving something, even when you think you are not. So what you are becoming, what and who is it serving? Make sure it is greater than “you”.

The above was inspired by, perhaps, the best anime/manga to EVER be created called, "Monster." It's theme is big on identity and names. But there was a particular scene which inspired this blog... I copied the url to play that particular scene of a old man who is in the last moments of his life. Edit: meh it's not working properly, so here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=o40Ji3o8YYo#t=898s it starts at the 15 min mark

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Monkey King;bt23743 said:
I like 20th Century Boys Manga. >_> I didn't know they made Monster an anime.
You have to watch it! I recommend watching the anime it is EXACTLY like the manga, no filler or anything, actually it is one of the first times that the anime is better since it is so faithful to the manga and the music only adds to the suspense, it's great.

I read 20th Century boys and really enjoyed it, but Monster edges it out imo. Pretty much everything makes sense in monster.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I read 20th Century boys and really enjoyed it, but Monster edges it out imo. Pretty much everything makes sense in monster.

Yeh man! GAH I wish i didn't work today, I'd do my marathon thing where I sit in one place and watch the entire thing. lol but yep I didn't finish reading the Monster manga because it wasn't completely translated. 20th Century Boys got confusing near the end, I think the manga-ka had some minor brain fart on that one.

Thanks for the rec, I'll definitely check it out and probably bother you about it.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Monkey King;bt23756 said:
Yeh man! GAH I wish i didn't work today, I'd do my marathon thing where I sit in one place and watch the entire thing. lol but yep I didn't finish reading the Monster manga because it wasn't completely translated. 20th Century Boys got confusing near the end, I think the manga-ka had some minor brain fart on that one.

Thanks for the rec, I'll definitely check it out and probably bother you about it.
Although I liked 20th Century boys and it's premise... the ending when all that virtual reality stuff came in, I must admit it was a bit out there. well .. that was 21st century boy... (liked it until 21st century boys) I got the ending about how you found out who the last Friend was. But still... then you wonder what happened to Kenji all that time, really he loss his memory and then all of a sudden got it back, word? Lol I didn't like that. But with monster everything pretty much makes sense and is reasonable, the characters are so alive, especially in the anime. You won't be disappointed, I always tell everyone about it. I'm pretty much a fanboy of that anime.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Ooh it was long since I read/watched MONSTER. I've forgotten most of it... but it was very good, one of the best mangas/animes. The link isnt working, sadly - but I suppose its the tale about the monster because of the book cover. I remember I really liked that tale and some of the series soundtrack also, like this one:

Good post. Nice reflections, I hear you. Gonna take some time today to consider whom I serve. Dont like the idea of serving anyone but myself/the whole unconsciously.
People are given loads of identities from birth, even a name. As I see it the problem is to be your own, "to be a man", it has to be earned. If you build it yourself then consider it yours otherwise its identification.

Swordsman of mana posted this song in the enneagram forum. I liked it and it kinda fits in here I think. Frank Sinatra, My Way, With Lyrics - YouTube!

Btw, who is 'the monster'??? Open question

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Inspired, I'm gonna go ahead and make a new thread "the monster without a name" somewhere. It's a great story and people here could find it interesting!

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
Beautiful post. I'd like to speculate a bit about Johan. Do you think that Johan believed that our identities are not only false, but simply a way to hide the monster within us all?

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Angelic Gardevoir;bt23839 said:
Beautiful post. I'd like to speculate a bit about Johan. Do you think that Johan believed that our identities are not only false, but simply a way to hide the monster within us all?
Thank you :)

hmmm... i dunno. Johan seemed to be obsessed with the idea of him not having a name/identity. Remember how his sister when she thought they were going to die, asked him what is her name, and he answered they don't have a name. That to me, shows that he saw himself in a unique way. I think to some degree he probably had some thought that people don't really have identities and there is a monster in everyone. I think to some degree he was trying to do this to tenma, for if the end would've happened the way he wanted, then tenma would've become that.

Tough to say XD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts