Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people have this ability to consider all factors by viewing an issue at many different angles. This gives birth to a solid and strong decision

Throughout my career, I've seen many managers and even CEOs who don't have this ability at all. They are extremely short sighted and always believe their way is the best way to do things. In some cases they completely ignore other viewpoints

My question, which cognitive function helps running this ability?

·
Registered
171 Posts
oh, and from there obviously, you have to couple it with a judging function to make steadfast decisions. but if you try to percieve with a judging function, you'll end up a lot more rigid. miss possibilities because of your own judgement.

Ne with Ti: wow. that guy looks unhappy. maybe, he's suffered emotional trauma, or maybe he's sick, or maybe he has no friends. oh, he sneezed. he's probably sick. lets ask if he wants to go home for today.
Te: wow. that guy's unhappy and alone. he has no friends. what a douche. JUDGE JUDGE JUDGE.

or something like that.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh, and from there obviously, you have to couple it with a judging function to make steadfast decisions. but if you try to percieve with a judging function, you'll end up a lot more rigid. miss possibilities because of your own judgement.

Ne with Ti: wow. that guy looks unhappy. maybe, he's suffered emotional trauma, or maybe he's sick, or maybe he has no friends. oh, he sneezed. he's probably sick. lets ask if he wants to go home for today.
Te: wow. that guy's unhappy and alone. he has no friends. what a douche. JUDGE JUDGE JUDGE.

or something like that.
Ne with Ti, will be pretty locked up... not making any external decisions, A behaviour commonly seen amongst NTPs

It must be a bridging of Ne/Te . Which is very hard to achieve....

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Well, if they have Ne and Te, they're probably ESTJ, the quintessential CEO. Problem solved.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Ne with Ti, will be pretty locked up... not making any external decisions, A behaviour commonly seen amongst NTPs

It must be a bridging of Ne/Te . Which is very hard to achieve....
If you have a well develop Ne and Ti, you are more naturally able to see things from different angles. Yes, sometimes they have difficulty coming to use this externally, but individuals who are more well rounded will be able to.

Underdeveloped Ne and Te usually results in the problem with not seeing things from different angles/short sighted view. They will tend to jump to the most convenient and easiest possibility that works, and go with that(whether it is true or not), and hold steadfast to it. This can be completely subconscious too, so its very difficult to get someone to see that they are doing this. If they can get past it though, then they do have the ability to see things from different angles as well.

So in summation: Ne/Ti naturally sees from different angles, yet has difficulty applying it to external world, Ne/Te goes with what is easiest, but can easily effect their external world.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Ni is usually attributed ability to view things from multiple perspectives, to create multiple interpretations and multiple meanings to anything. But even types with Ni will express themselves as if they committed to one decision rather than listing all possibilities that they see. Usually before committing to that one decision they will think through all possibilities that they can conjure in their head, and then pick one that they see is of highest probability being true.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, if they have Ne and Te, they're probably ESTJ, the quintessential CEO. Problem solved.
Yeah you're right man. I know a lot of ESTJ managers who are very good at challenging people on different viewpoints. They have strong verbal aptitude and know how to make good decisions.

The only problem is that:-
1) They're too detail and people hate this. As a manager you can't micro manage everything. You'll end up missing the important points
2) They lack vision. A leader needs articulate a powerful vision to lead an organization to success. You can't keep following traditions forever. We need constant change

Reactions: susurration

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have a well develop Ne and Ti, you are more naturally able to see things from different angles. Yes, sometimes they have difficulty coming to use this externally, but individuals who are more well rounded will be able to.

Underdeveloped Ne and Te usually results in the problem with not seeing things from different angles/short sighted view. They will tend to jump to the most convenient and easiest possibility that works, and go with that(whether it is true or not), and hold steadfast to it. This can be completely subconscious too, so its very difficult to get someone to see that they are doing this. If they can get past it though, then they do have the ability to see things from different angles as well.

So in summation: Ne/Ti naturally sees from different angles, yet has difficulty applying it to external world, Ne/Te goes with what is easiest, but can easily effect their external world.
Your summary is so right.
The problem is,without Ni, or Si, Ne/Ti will end up being indecisive. You're seeing things at too many angles which overloads your decision making.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ni is usually attributed ability to view things from multiple perspectives, to create multiple interpretations and multiple meanings to anything. But even types with Ni will express themselves as if they committed to one decision rather than listing all possibilities that they see. Usually before committing to that one decision they will think through all possibilities that they can conjure in their head, and then pick one that they see is of highest probability being true.
I disagree on Ni having the ability to see multiple perspectives. Ni is a closed minded view of things. It's coming from your inner world. What this creates is a flow of ideas or visions. It's not so much of an ability to see things at different angles.... It's just that Ni creates multiple ideas. It's not a holistic view of things thus dominant Ni users (like myself) tend to be sloppy and make silly mistakes

Regardless, Ni is an important aspect of leadership. A leader needs to articulate visions for change

·
Registered
889 Posts
Eh, I don't know. I prefer to get as many different points of view as possible before I make a decision. If new information comes in that contradicts my decision, I'll almost always take it in whether I change my position or not.

So, from my limited understanding of MBTI so far, I would speculate that it's Ti processing whatever extroverted source of data collecting. Se can tell me numerous things about the world at hand but, Ti is what makes the decision based on that information.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Ne is the best function to create new, different views of things. And Ni is the best function to incorporate many different views into one decision, because Ni itself doesn't follow single trails of thought, but whole bundles of thoughts - it's just mostly unconscious.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I believe it depends on the person. I find that some people at a healthy level will admit another's perspective while another healthy person will perhaps integrate it.
Taking the statement that some people just don't care may mean more like, "they don't find other's perspectives stimulating or beneficial", whereas some traits like Ni benefit from the other perspective.

I don't know if you can force someone to care without speaking or fulfilling a piece of their own fascination.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ne is the best function to create new, different views of things. And Ni is the best function to incorporate many different views into one decision, because Ni itself doesn't follow single trails of thought, but whole bundles of thoughts - it's just mostly unconscious.
So basically you need both Ne and Ni to be a good leader who can see things at different angles.... and then make a solid conclusion based on Ni....

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have this nice analogy on Ne vs Ni

Imagine you are at a lunch buffet . There's lots of food!
  • With Ni, you hold on to your plate and take the best food from each serving. You be picky.
  • With Ne you take many plates and grab as many servings as you can. You don't care whether it's taste good or bad, you just want to try it all.
So in conclusion, Ne's are fat.....

lol... just kidding :laughing:

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
So basically you need both Ne and Ni to be a good leader who can see things at different angles.... and then make a solid conclusion based on Ni....
Judging functions may play a bigger part.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts