Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you absent minded or not? Lately ive been getting a lot of 'old proffersor' jokes thrown around at me because i manage to forget my lab reports, books, notepad in various places around college quite often. Not just in college, even at home or at the poolhall also...

I couldnt care less about the jokes but it got me thinking

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Sometimes.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Excuse me. INFP interrupting again (I can't stay away from you ISTPs, I love you). I believe no matter how absent minded you think you are, unless you have full-blown Alzheimers, you can't hold a candle to the idiocracy of the INFP (i.e. driving off with the gas pump still attached to the car). If that helps any, heheh

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Touche, salesman.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Pretty much everyone, everybody has momentary lapses and what not. It is very common. Now if it happens too frequently or too often, intensely, then maybe there are some underlying health problems, or you have ADHD.
No big deal if you experience it occasionally. We can only handle so much at a time and there are always others things that might be more interesting or that are already occupying our minds.
Maybe you aren't getting enough sleep.

Ever hear of "psyhchological refractory period?"

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no, im not -that- absent minded at all and yes, ive had a lot of trouble keeping someone off my mind to the point that i cant even do anything college related but that isnt an excuse. It may have affected this, hmmm.

I was just wondering if this is more general to the istps or not. And i dont mean while your under stress

·
Registered
743 Posts
My books do tend to look pretty scruffy (as do I) but I don't really forget things too often.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
I think we tend to underestimate our Ti and assume that we use Se naturally. Combine that with the use of Ni and yep, we can be just as absent minded as the next INJ.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I leave my keys at the checkout line in grocery stores pretty frequently, but I usually remember by the time I've taken five steps toward the exit.

I lose pens and sometimes I don't remember where I left my coffee cup or my phone... but I'm approaching 40, and I have a kid - so I think that's just part of the territory.

My biggest problem is I'm disorganized - so what could be seen as me being absent minded is really just my lack of organizational skills. I know GENERALLY where everything is and how to put my hands on it - it just may take me a little more time to get to it than it would someone with those natural skills.

Another problem is that I don't pay good attention to things people say to me - so I might have "heard" a story about my best friend's brother, but I didn't retain it, so when it comes up again I'm often lost - "Brian? Who's Brian again? Ohhhh... right... your brother. Yeah, he did the thing with the stuff, right?" I don't think I'm fooling anyone anymore, all my friends know I don't listen. I *care*... but it really would be best if they'd email me those stories, or send me pictures.

I think people probably consider me absent-minded because I don't remember all the tiny details of stories they've told me, but the deal is - I didn't FORGET what they told me, I just never heard it in the first place.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I loose my wallet on a regular basis. Drives my ESFJ husband nuts. He swears he's going to invent a clapper to attach to my wallet (I won't carry a purse), with a car alarm. Saw something for car keys that may work.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I am absent minded and forgetful under times of stress or when I really don't want to do something so I'll keep "forgetting" about it. Also, when I am doing something that isn't my regular routine then I tend to forget things as well. I remember a long time ago I used to work in the city and when the train schedule switched I was lost in the sauce. I left my keys on the bus, left my wallet home...ugh I was all over the place. My focus ain't worth a damn either. If there is something else that looks more fun I'm going to drop what I was doing to go check it out. Maybe I have ADD...who knows.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Another problem is that I don't pay good attention to things people say to me - so I might have "heard" a story about my best friend's brother, but I didn't retain it, so when it comes up again I'm often lost - "Brian? Who's Brian again? Ohhhh... right... your brother. Yeah, he did the thing with the stuff, right?" I don't think I'm fooling anyone anymore, all my friends know I don't listen. I *care*... but it really would be best if they'd email me those stories, or send me pictures.

I think people probably consider me absent-minded because I don't remember all the tiny details of stories they've told me, but the deal is - I didn't FORGET what they told me, I just never heard it in the first place.
Haha, I did the same thing this weekend. My brother was talking about going to a lecture, and I asked, "What lecture?", and in an annoyed voice, he said, "the lecture at the DIA...we just talked about this yesterday!" Then, the light bulb went on. Oh, yeahhhh....

I do tend to be absent-minded in that respect

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
I'm older than you and I sometimes misplace my keys and cell phone too. But it's not forgetfulness, it's really just lack of remembering.
If you were to set your cell phone on the kitchen counter and then immediately tell yourself "I set my cell phone on the kitchen counter" you'd have no trouble remembering where you left it. The problem is that you were in a hurry to go to the bathroom (or wherever) and didn't take the time to actually make a mental note of where you left your cell phone. I find that if I tell myself where I put something, then it's no problem.

I also have a technique for finding something I've misplaced, I simply ask myself where would I leave it? Then I start looking in those places. I know there are only so many places that I'd leave my phone, so I start looking there. On a few occasions I've had to call my cell phone from my house phone just to hear it ring. I found it slipped down between the couch cushions.

My memory is quite good, especially if I exercise it.
You know those guys who can remember pi to 50,000 places, they sometimes forget where they put their keys too!

I leave my keys at the checkout line in grocery stores pretty frequently, but I usually remember by the time I've taken five steps toward the exit.

I lose pens and sometimes I don't remember where I left my coffee cup or my phone... but I'm approaching 40, and I have a kid - so I think that's just part of the territory.

My biggest problem is I'm disorganized - so what could be seen as me being absent minded is really just my lack of organizational skills. I know GENERALLY where everything is and how to put my hands on it - it just may take me a little more time to get to it than it would someone with those natural skills.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I hate this state of absent-mindedness, it makes me appear stupid all the time. And I don't like to appear stupid.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Am I absent-minded? Hmm... well, I just opened this window twice, closing the first one after reading it, and ended up browsing the second window, thinking "what is this thread about?"

Yeah, I know I forget things so I force myself to recheck everything, to the point where it's compulsive. And I'll still forget everything else. Very reminiscent of getting blackout drunk, just in everyday sober life. xD

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I have quite a bit of the crazy old professor tendencies, such as completely forgetting what I was doing as I am doing what I forgot. A good example is id walk out to the kitchen to grab a drink, but as soon as I stand up Id completely forget what I was doing. Luckily caffeine and food solves this problem.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I hate this state of absent-mindedness, it makes me appear stupid all the time. And I don't like to appear stupid.
YES! My roommate is golden about helping me out with this, but she talks to me like I am two and then smiles knowingly. I have taken to ignoring her and stalking around the apartment until I remember what I forgot... but she quickly picked up on that, too.

Is this a product of P thinking? My mind races (jumping from topic to topic) in abnormal patterns and I know what I mean, but few people comprehend my correlations until I explain it to them. Maybe I just should sleep more and that is a suitable explanation of its own.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts