Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night I was reminded that I don't ever have to grow up if I don't want to.
I had a movie marathon of my two favorite movies of ALL time,...The Neverending Story and The Labyrinth.

This dog still scares the shit out of me...

David Bowie is so cool...;)

Even to this day everytime I watch them they are a total escape from real life and I love the creativity that went into making them...

What are your favorite movies and why??

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Hmmm, I am certain I will have a lot more to add, but there are two that come to mind.

Field of Dreams - It's an emotional story about soul searching, hopes, and baseball. There is a moment that gets me every time when Moonlight Graham crosses the line to save a child's life, but he can never go back to playing the game.

Contact - The idea of finding and communicating with alien life is enough to draw me in, but the approach of this one, possibly because of Carl Sagan, is different. From the moment I saw a trailer for it, I knew I had to see it the day it came out. It questions religious beliefs that limit exploration, open thought, and development. It challenges Earth-centric attitudes. I could die happy if we could find evidence of intelligent life out there. I firmly believe it exists/existed, but I know the chance of finding it in our small window of existence is minuscule.

While writing those two I thought of more, but I am not going to ramble all day.

4,757 Posts
Contact - The idea of finding and communicating with alien life is enough to draw me in, but the approach of this one, possibly because of Carl Sagan, is different. From the moment I saw a trailer for it, I knew I had to see it the day it came out. It questions religious beliefs that limit exploration, open thought, and development. It challenges Earth-centric attitudes. I could die happy if we could find evidence of intelligent life out there. I firmly believe it exists/existed, but I know the chance of finding it in our small window of existence is minuscule.
I *loved* that movie. I wished the ending was more of a mystery alien-wise, like they'd not shown that end scene.

*spoliers for a movie I don't remember the name of lol*
There's movie that I love, love talking about - it's called mission to mars or something. I can't remember, it came out some point in the 90s. Anyway, they do the coolest thing - they get to Mars and then this random door opens up in the middle of the red landscape. And it's just this empty, black mystery. It's one of my favourite moments in a movie ever. The sheer possibility of what could be there makes me shiver. Then they ruin it but showing these stupid aliens. But wow, that moment of uncertainty takes my breath away.

Oh and, not at all related, but that certain plot twist from V for Vendetta - you know the one - was painful. It killed me. I hated it and love it so much at the same time.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Harvey - I absolutely love this movie because it's about kindness. It's a wonderful movie. It doesn't hurt that Jimmy Stewart is in it. :)

Donnie Darko - There's a certain feel to the movie that makes me feel good. The storyline and soundtrack are wonderful.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Makes me feel like love is easier to find.

Lost In Translation - It's just amazing.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Nothing comes to mind as to ABSOLUTE favorites,but here are some that i really like:

*City Lights*

The Seventh Seal

Breathless

Immortal Beloved

A Place In The Sun

Yesterday,Today and Tomorrow

Pan's Labyrinth

The Matrix (trilogy)

The Maltese Falcon

The Public Enemy

The Godfather PT.2 (1 is excellent also,but deniro's performance cinches it for me)

Taxi Driver..

·
Registered
607 Posts
The Breakfast Club for me too!! Also:
The Big Lebowski
Fight Club
The Hangover
The first and second Matrix
dammit, (hesitates to admit it) I also loved Titanic, cried every time I saw it
In recent times, for dramas, I really loved The Hurt Locker and Winter's Bone

Baaastian! What's my naaame? :) I know a guy named Sebastian. That's what's going through my head every time I see him.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I will always love The Princess Bride. Also Arsenic and Old Lace, it's so incredibly hilarious. And Philadelphia Story.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Edward Scissorhands still haunts me with ithe soundtrack and everything...Edward reminds me of myself for some reason...well certain aspects anyway...
I loved that movie too, jdep was unforgettable...

Reactions: Rather Unusual

·
Registered
242 Posts
Fight Club: I really like the anti-materialist/counterculture philosophy in it, also perfect acting, cinematography, director, script, everything.
The Truman Show's a close second.
Also I have to mention American Beauty.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
A Mighty Heart

The Song Remains the Same

Platoon

the imaginarium of doctor parnassus - Very symbolic film, eerily also the one Heath Ledger died while filming.

There are more but no time.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts