Personality Cafe banner

Abstract Thinking and the ISFP

[ISFP] 
7K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  MilkyWay132 
#1 ·
How interested are you in abstract thinking outside of Myers Brigg? How does Ni fit into your interactive style and perception? I ask you because I am considering the thought that I minght be an ISFP, instead of an INFP; however, while I like practicality in ideas, I find great enjoyment in participating abstract reasoning anf speculation.

#2 ·
How interested are you in abstract thinking outside of Myers Brigg? How does Ni fit into your interactive style and perception? I ask you because I am considering the thought that I minght be an ISFP, instead of an INFP; however, while I like practicality in ideas, I find great enjoyment in participating abstract reasoning anf speculation.
Hi, I like your avatar,

I like abstract thinking in creativity/artistic creativity, psychology and philosophy.

My Ni is very strong in my cogntive functioning.

My Fi is the strongest.

I'm kind of an exception to the rule in some ways.

I come across as an INFP.

My S/N is borderline and goes back and forth even though I'm primarily Sensing.

You might be something like me.

I also like practicality in ideas.

:happy:

#3 ·
Thanks your avatar elicit a feeling of serenity in me.
Yes I love the disciplines you listed and I am not at odds when it comes to abstract concepts, yet I am most centered when I focus on the present momment and its infinity of it. I could see how I could have a well developed Ni. Since it is the tertiary function on the ISFP profile, it could explain why wish to regard myself as an intuitive.

#4 ·
Yes I love the disciplines you listed and I am not at odds when it comes to abstract concepts, yet I am most centered when I focus on the present momment and its infinity of it.
I could see how I could have a well developed Ni. Since it is the tertiary function on the ISFP profile, it could explain why wish to regard myself as an intuitive.
I tend to live in the moment more through my actions,but my thoughts will sometimes wonder about the future.

Actions can speak louder than words sometimes, right?:laughing:

Have you tried taking a cognitive function test? Maybe that would help? They have one on this site and it's free.
Of course, it's understandable that you would want other people's opinion who are ISFP's and possilbly INFP's for the sake of more "personal" data.

The free tests aren't always completely reliable especially if you're a complex person. :happy:

You sound like you might be ISFP with a well developed Ni, as you already stated.

I mean, just because you can get lost in your thoughts or have a great imagination doesn't mean you're thinking about the future or not being primarily practical or realistic about things.

#5 ·
Yeah, it's probably a good idea to try taking the test that joy recommended.

For me, I just don't have much interest in abstract thoughts. I like to think about things in the physical world, that I can see, taste, hear, touch; things that I can build a picture of in my mind, even if they're not right in front of me to observe.

I can think abstractly if I need to, but I much prefer thinking about the physical world.

#6 ·
I value practical matters out of anything theoretical that I study. I may not do any kinesthete's work, but I want to understand how something could apply to the real world.

I have this tendency, when I am interested enough in a subject, to get down to the very roots of how things work. This is why I like Linux as an operating system on a computer because I can get a feel for how a computer operates by knowing how to use the open source.

With all things philosophical, I don't like discussing philosophy for the sake of philosophy, only to find answers. On certain topics of philosophy, I get interested when I can share my view if I feel it is appropriate.

#8 ·
If it helps my partner is ISTP. So his personality is similarly Ti/Se/Ni/Fe. The thing I notice is most of the time he is very aware of sensory data from outside of himself (so he cares mainly about things in the real world and talks about practical things) but then on occasion he becomes really imaginative and invents something (Ni). But it is only for a brief time. I am predominantly Ni oriented and am inside my imagination ALL the time which he finds "head in the clouds" and impractical. If you feel the same way as him about INTJs that might be a clue!

:tongue:

#10 ·
Sometimes the only way I can communicate an idea or feeling is through metaphor. I never considered myself as good in abstract things (except music) but I guess that counts too? I used to write songs or whatever you'd call them literally and metaphorically.

Reactions: joyrjw
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.