Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been obsessed with accents, male or female. I just want to learn their language or have that accent. Russian accents are the best.

Do you like accents? Do you have one? Shit like that.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Can’t say I’ve ever paid much attention to them, unless they get in the way of understanding what the person is saying. I’m mainly of scottish descent and the accent blows my mind, quite humourous at times. Dodged a bullet there.

I don’t understand the whole accent being attractive thing, it’s a part of who they are but it doesn’t tend to be something that stands out for me.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
I wish I did.

I have the American News anchor "accent". I 'd like to have a Southern drawl.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I had a Chicago accent when I was a kid, but then moved away and now I have the "they could be from anywhere in the US" non-accent that you hear out of newscasters, movies, and the like. It's kinda boring, but good for remaining anonymous and not constantly having to talk about where you're from every time you meet someone new.

I'm really sensitive to sounds so an accent can be a deal breaker. I dated a girl from New Jersey once, and it was brutal. But, I was really into her so I spent like three months basically giving her speech therapy until it was tolerable. When we'd go to NJ though it would allllll come back. Sigh. Strangely, an accent doesn't add to a person's attractiveness for me, but it can detract.

@Richard I don't think you dodged a bullet, bud. The Scottish accent is a constant source of enjoyment. I would love to have it.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I find accents fascinating because they are obviously different from what I normally hear. I actually have a Dominican friend with a thick accent that is really evident when he struggles with pronouncing some words. I find the pronunciation slightly amusing.

·
Registered
244 Posts
My dad was an engineer who managed teams and fixed auto-pilot systems in airplanes, so we would travel often and stay in different countries for prolonged periods of time.

I lived in Atlanta for three years when I was very young and picked up a southern accent while I was there. Afterwards, we moved to England and Scotland for a few months. It didn't change my southern accent, but I did learn how to mimic a British accent, much to everyone's amusement.

There were short trips to other countries like Germany, France, and multiple times, Japan, but I never developed any accents from those.

Now that I've been back in Thailand for about ten years or so, I'm getting this weird Thai accent mixed up with all my other accents. I don't even know what accent I have anymore.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
You could if you wanted...just have to live there for it not to sound forced. I lived in central Virginia for a year and accidentally developed one. Freaked the hell out of my friends and family in CA.
if I moved there I would pick it really fast purposely.

I had a friend from VA. I didn't know him when he first moved here but he said everyone laughed so hard at him that he lost his accent in like 2 weeks.

I never even knew he was from the south until he told me XD

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
From what I can tell, I have a midwestern American accent with a hint of Canadian. I've been told my accent is somewhat lyrical too. Picked up various ways of speaking from moving across the country, living and vacationing in Canada, and singing in different languages.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Slight Boston accent. 1/10th of Ben Affleck's. I don't think anyone anywhere likes Boston accents.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts