Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'd like to know what you would do if for example, an opportunity was given to you (for example your dream job/dream university/dream sth) but given against equity. In my case, I applied for a foreign exchange student program to Japan but I wasn't accepted.

The story goes like this: I found out that my friend, who also applied for the exchange program, was chosen to be in it. But there was something that left me uneasy. Before the selection, there should be an interviewing the applicants; to my surprise, there wasn't at all. When we applied for this program, the coordinator said we should wait for an notification of the interview schedule. Obviously, I was expecting to be interviewed. My friend got accepted without an interview as if it was just given to her. What if I didn't find out about my friend's acceptance? I would be left hanging and hoping, then if such were the case and that I asked about the interview, I be shocked that she got accepted without any of us getting interviewed! In actuality, how I found out was because my other friend (who also was my classmate) asked about 'did you get accepted in the program?' and my friend who applied said 'Yes, the (coordinator) e-mailed me about it.' I was left confused of course, 'There's no interview???'. I asked her to really confirm it to the coordinator.

Not to sound bitter or maybe I do but this is based on my observation: The coordinator for this student exchange programs is close with my friend. She already applied before but wasn't able to pursue it because she misunderstood the tuition wavers/scholarship and other technicalities, but for this application, she will pursue it with or without scholarship. From this broad observation, my conjecture is it's as if this application was like 'given' to her and the other applicants are just holding on to hope because the coordinator and my friend were close. There was no interview at all. Interviews are means of proving yourself that you are up to it right? Could this be nepotism?

My friend right now seems to be in a moral dilemma lol. But she will pursue it.

Now, my question is...would you guys take the opportunity (for me it is going to Japan as an exchange student) with the case as such? For me, it's like a dream to go to Japan...but if I were to be the one accepted with such case...........................I would..........accept it but feel so bad and angsty...as if it would haunt me as long as I live or not.......but feel so bad and angsty too oh god.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ya get what ya get and ya don't get upset.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts