Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you feel nostalgic? How often do you want to go back to to the past and change everything? Despite knowing you may change things?
I almost always feel this way. I hate thinking about the past, but everything reminds me of something. I associate the college I go to with my ex where we were when I took a picture or looking at the spot where I snuck a kiss because I didn't want anyone to see. I associate old music with my childhood, I look at my family and everyone getting older and the only thing I think of is their inevitable death. I'm detail oriented when it comes to myself and the clothes I wear or the way my hair looks It drives me crazy if something is sticking up or pocking out (and by the way I'm sure I'm thinking it looks way worse then what I think it looks like.) I feel like I lost myself although I can't even tell because I'm not sure if its me maturing or if me being brainwashed and feeling what other people are going through or If I'm subconsciously doing what they are doing. I really love to just be the happier me that exist at some point. Or the me that I always wanted to be, but the craziness that is me won't let that happen. Some point I can be okay with myself and the way I am, but most days I am.

NOTE: This was totally not the thing that I was planning on typing this just came out.

This is me with grammatical mistakes and all it feels refreshing....

Whatever =/ are you guys feeling like this or felt like any of this at some point?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I used to have regrets and want to change the past......but the older i get i realie that the past has made me who i am today. the good the bad the ugly.......it has made me wiser, more compassionate and ever learning. i think that feelings that are associated with places and people, whilst bringing us back to....and some times reliving those moments.......can be a good thing. you can revisit these places or people at times in your life when you are ready to heal a wound and confront those memories. some times it is good to remember pain......it allows us the wisdom to choose a different path in the future.

i believe that you are the amazing person you are today (and i am sure you probably are.....i mean you are INFJ to start with :tongue:) because of and thanks to your past......however fractured it may be :happy:

·
Registered
801 Posts
It's funny you should mention it...yes. I think as we mature we go through different phases of life discovery. First, we try to be like everyone else - to fit in. We do as expected in terms of our parents...we are like playdough, we are molded by what we are being taught and we think we are going to live forever. In adolesence we tend to fight that a bit...more like playdough that's drying up. We realize we can make our own decisions (good or bad) and we start living life according to the way we see it. Of course we make mistakes along the way but that's the entire point of growing and learning. Eventually, we get to a point where we realize that life stands still for no man. We start to ponder what we'd go back and change if we could, we relate more to our elders and we recognize the value in the lessons they tried so desparately to teach us. In the end however, I have few regrets as I have grown to like who I am and all that I understand. I look back now and see how naive I was but that was all part of the beauty of maturing into the woman I am today. I'm sure there's more to come and I'll even look back on today and wonder what the heck I was thinking. Our insignificance and decreasing span of life we have left to live tends to sober us up.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Sometimes I have phases like that as if your brain goes over a series of linked events that usually produce a learned outcome or some type of growth. Or on the other hand it can be a reminiscence of a time that is associated with a place, music, smell, etc. linked to an emotion you are feeling at the moment.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I get very notstaligic. Smells and songs especially take me back to (generally) fond memories and I can reminisce for ages. I wouldn't want to change a thing about my past but I would love to go back and relive it, or even just watch over myself going through all those experiences again. I was so much more dynamic in my youth - quite the societal rebel (though I never rebelled at all against my parents and I was lucky that they totally let me go live and learn from my own experiences). I miss that about myself. I don't know how I can get it back. With age comes responsibility. I have a job and husband and, soon, a child to think about. I can't let that independant, rule-challenging misfit out much anymore :frustrating:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
depression: looking at the past
Anxiety: looking to the future

I think because of our Ni we want to predict whats going to happen so its only natural. Sometimes just being content with the present is really difficult.

·
Banned
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used to have regrets and want to change the past......but the older i get i realie that the past has made me who i am today. the good the bad the ugly.......it has made me wiser, more compassionate and ever learning. i think that feelings that are associated with places and people, whilst bringing us back to....and some times reliving those moments.......can be a good thing. you can revisit these places or people at times in your life when you are ready to heal a wound and confront those memories. some times it is good to remember pain......it allows us the wisdom to choose a different path in the future.

i believe that you are the amazing person you are today (and i am sure you probably are.....i mean you are INFJ to start with :tongue:) because of and thanks to your past......however fractured it may be :happy:

Well thank you. :happy: I typically never escape the nasty nostalgic feeling that I usually get. Although my experiences made me who I am today I cannot look back and appreciate it instead it either makes me feel dumb or puts me a a mood or something along those lines. Even little memories from my childhood does the same to me. Who knows maybe one day I'll get to a place where I can feel that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts