Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm most likely an ENTP, and I'm majoring in Accounting, and I"m taking my second Intermediate Accounting course right now. (There's Int. Acct I and Int Acct II)

Despite studying for 3 hours the night before the exam, I got a 30%...not an F, a SUPER F.

In I,termediate Accounting I, I failed the class with a D the first time, and BARELY scraped by with a C- the second time...and that was with a TON of extra credit. (oh and maybe cheating?) heh heh

I'm realizing that my problem is my inability to remember random, constantly changing rules and GAAP procedures. The detail and extreme level of organization and self-discipline that Accounting entails is slaughtering me. I've got dyslexia, which makes appreviations like BPO and PBO always mixed up in my mind, as well as numbers such as 6 vs 9, etc.

I'm not stupid though, I never even bought the textbooks for all of my Stats, Econ, Calculus, Physics, etc courses...and still consistently got the highest scores in class. The professors had no clue why, since I always rolled in late every day.

(I'm also majoring in Econ, and my major GPA for it is 4.0. For Accounting, it's more like 2.0, at best....pretty big difference.)

Then my roommate, who's also into MBTI, pointed out that a HUGE percentage of Account(ants/ing majors) are STJs.

So did you guys find Accounting easy? Or is it just tough for EVERYONE. How did you survive? How well did you do?

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Accounting is pretty easy. Easy enough that I find it a bit boring. Physics? Not so easy.

Reactions: Sela

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Accounting is pretty easy. Easy enough that I find it a bit boring. Physics? Not so easy.
Were you an Accounting major or did you take only a few classes for another business major? I found that the first few courses were mind numbingly easy. The Intermediate courses are feared as the weed out courses...

Reactions: Sela

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
As part of a business major. Most of the actual accounting experience came into play after opening my own business--that's when I had to go back and relearn those accounting principles.

·
Registered
421 Posts
It seems from your post that you're having trouble memorising a whole bunch of 'rules' down to the details. It seems that your Accounting course doesn't really need 'problem solving' but just application of memorised rules.

I've heard from my friends that Accounting is one of those subjects where you just have to keep on practising it as just 'reading' the required material isn't enough. You have to apply them again and again until you can do it without 'thinking' almost (I think they were saying this in particular about financial accounting while your course appears to be more about the theory?).

Find out what your learning style is (e.g. visual, doing, listening etc.) and try to learn your notes that way. You can use different tools to help you memorise e.g. associating particular colours with particular parts of your course if you are a visual learner.

I searched up a page about learning styles for ENTPs (otherwise search for learning styles of whatever other type you might be):
ENTP Learning Style
^ From that link it appears that the content you have to learn for the Accounting paper is one of the worst for ENTPs so good luck with trying to somehow fit it to your learning style e.g. it says you like to 'learn with others' so perhaps make/join a small study group and have discussions about potential applications of the theory?

This also brings up a point in which everyone's preferred learning style is different. If it is indeed linked with personality then I doubt what ISTJs tell you about how they learn best will be the best way for you.

e.g. compare the ENTP learning style to the ISTJ learning style here: ISTJ Learning Style
It appears that ENTP and ISTJ learning styles are almost the opposite of each other :crazy:

From memory, I think Accountants were high on the list of careers for ISTJs.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I am an accounting major, but my Intermediate Accoutning classes really focused on working through solving problems. We did not really have to memorize much--we got most of our grades through solving homework problems correctly and showing our work, so the average grades ended up being around a B. I got an A. I am not sure how much I learned though, I will be doing a huge amount of studying for the CPA exam when I get around to doing that.

Accounting can be pretty hard to actually study for. I have found with similar courses, such as business law, I would need to do my readings on time, and maybe I would have to reread/skim-read through the chapter and memorize huge chuncks of the material a few days before the test and then review the material a couple of times to make sure it is locked into my memory. I would imagine that to do well on accoutning, you would also have to keep up to date on the assigned accounting problem, and review them a lot in the week before the test to make sure you can do similar problems. No striaght memory-work would do if you don't understand the concepts. Though I would expect ENTPs would be good at understanding concepts.

Keep in mind the accoutning is more realted to law than it is to the subjects that you listed (economics, statistics, calculus, physics, etc.) To some extent, those classes are a lot mroe conceptual than accounting is. So if you had ttrouble with learning stuff liek history or law, then maybe you would have more trouble with accounting.

Do you find accoutning to be interesting enough to major in though? It maybe be good to have in the business world, but if you really don't like accounting, you could always do other stuff that would look just as impressive (like, being a computer sciencce major or a math major. .. ).

·
Registered
324 Posts
Back when i was just starting college i had to take an accounting class for the major i was going for at that time. Unfortunately it was anything but productive i failed the class. Lol....i have never been to good with numbers. So it depends on the person strengths if they would do well in an accounting class. For me it did not work out.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
kitty brings up some good points. Also consider that once you do get hired on at a firm, there are levels that you go through until you make partner, and in the upper levels there is not much actual bookkeeping. It's more about client relationships and understanding the laws and how they impact a firms finances.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
... plus if you have to do any accounting duties, the place you work at will have a certain way they want it done and will more than likely show you what they want done, how they want it done, and so forth. Not to mention that they probably have computer programs that deal with a lot of the stuff.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am an accounting major, but my Intermediate Accoutning classes really focused on working through solving problems. We did not really have to memorize much--we got most of our grades through solving homework problems correctly and showing our work, so the average grades ended up being around a B. I got an A. I am not sure how much I learned though, I will be doing a huge amount of studying for the CPA exam when I get around to doing that.

Accounting can be pretty hard to actually study for. I have found with similar courses, such as business law, I would need to do my readings on time, and maybe I would have to reread/skim-read through the chapter and memorize huge chuncks of the material a few days before the test and then review the material a couple of times to make sure it is locked into my memory. I would imagine that to do well on accoutning, you would also have to keep up to date on the assigned accounting problem, and review them a lot in the week before the test to make sure you can do similar problems. No striaght memory-work would do if you don't understand the concepts. Though I would expect ENTPs would be good at understanding concepts.

Keep in mind the accoutning is more realted to law than it is to the subjects that you listed (economics, statistics, calculus, physics, etc.) To some extent, those classes are a lot mroe conceptual than accounting is. So if you had ttrouble with learning stuff liek history or law, then maybe you would have more trouble with accounting.

Do you find accoutning to be interesting enough to major in though? It maybe be good to have in the business world, but if you really don't like accounting, you could always do other stuff that would look just as impressive (like, being a computer sciencce major or a math major. .. ).
I did struggle with History. Everyone was puzzled at how I could possibly get a C in history but an A+ in AP Calculus in high school - I really just can't remember details at all. I can only arrive at the details with systems and working it out with internal logic.

Right now in Accounting, we're going over Pension Accounting, and I've just about had it. :confused: All these regulations, actuarial estimates, arbitrary rules, and constant changes, exceptions in procedures.... most of the time, it's all about doing things exactly the GAAP way, if there's a few possible ways to do something. The problem is, when I logic my way through Accounting problems, I end up arriving at an alternative conclusion rather than taking GAAP's stance.

I'm also always forgetting where and what to put what in journal entries, etc. Some things GAAP decided should be in Net Income, others under Comprehensive Income, and I always get mixed up about Unrealized/Extraordinary/etc Losses/Gains, the details of Pensions that go under Retained Earnings, etc. etc.

Sigh, I don't have any trouble at all with Economics. It just comes naturally and intuitively to me, yet everyone else seems to struggle with it.

... plus if you have to do any accounting duties, the place you work at will have a certain way they want it done and will more than likely show you what they want done, how they want it done, and so forth. Not to mention that they probably have computer programs that deal with a lot of the stuff.
That's another thing that actually discouraged me from pursuing Accounting as a career. I'd rather be the one making the decisions rather than carry on following random procedures dictated by policy. Though I agree that computers should take care of the more mundane tasks.

But 40-100 hour work weeks following someone else's directions in an office until I retire worn-out, wrinkled and arthritic at 65 if I'm lucky...er, no thanks. It's true that there's the possibility of working up to VP, then CFO, then possibly CEO, but it's never a guarantee, I'm still putting my labor investment in the hands of others rather than working for myself, and still having to jump through hoops just to have any say at all in the operations of the company.

I've got a few product ideas that I'm looking to pitch to VCs, as well as a few ideas for businesses that I'm considering test driving on a small scale. Although I'm also looking into teaching English abroad - get paid to go to Africa, Nepal and Russia? :cool:

In any case, just having an Accounting degree will be useful for all those pursuits - so it's not a total waste. It's kind of nice to know I won't have to go through the whole CPA rat race everyone else in my classes will.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Ok, I'm most likely an ENTP, and I'm majoring in Accounting, and I"m taking my second Intermediate Accounting course right now. (There's Int. Acct I and Int Acct II)

Despite studying for 3 hours the night before the exam, I got a 30%...not an F, a SUPER F.

In I,termediate Accounting I, I failed the class with a D the first time, and BARELY scraped by with a C- the second time...and that was with a TON of extra credit. (oh and maybe cheating?) heh heh

I'm realizing that my problem is my inability to remember random, constantly changing rules and GAAP procedures. The detail and extreme level of organization and self-discipline that Accounting entails is slaughtering me. I've got dyslexia, which makes appreviations like BPO and PBO always mixed up in my mind, as well as numbers such as 6 vs 9, etc.

I'm not stupid though, I never even bought the textbooks for all of my Stats, Econ, Calculus, Physics, etc courses...and still consistently got the highest scores in class. The professors had no clue why, since I always rolled in late every day.

(I'm also majoring in Econ, and my major GPA for it is 4.0. For Accounting, it's more like 2.0, at best....pretty big difference.)

Then my roommate, who's also into MBTI, pointed out that a HUGE percentage of Account(ants/ing majors) are STJs.

So did you guys find Accounting easy? Or is it just tough for EVERYONE. How did you survive? How well did you do?
drop it while you can. it will only get worse.
use your gifts god gave you.

Reactions: dagnytaggart
1 - 12 of 12 Posts