Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aims Community College - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

this is one of my possible future colleges I want to attend before transferring an associates degree to a university. The program I want is in computer science, hopefully with lean towards software engineering. My question is some programs are accredited but mine isn't. However the Wikipedia site says the college is accredited.

What exactly does it mean when a college is accredited but your program isn't? I want to be certain on which school I choose because I will be moving in accordance and possibly moving my full time job as well. This is the only college close to my current location that offers a computer science degree so if this college isn't right I will have to move. Any advice or knowledge is greatly appreciated.

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
Aims Community College - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

this is one of my possible future colleges I want to attend before transferring an associates degree to a university. The program I want is in computer science, hopefully with lean towards software engineering. My question is some programs are accredited but mine isn't. However the Wikipedia site says the college is accredited.

What exactly does it mean when a college is accredited but your program isn't? I want to be certain on which school I choose because I will be moving in accordance and possibly moving my full time job as well. This is the only college close to my current location that offers a computer science degree so if this college isn't right I will have to move. Any advice or knowledge is greatly appreciated.

I don't know much about this, so...

Yay, google.

Frequently Asked Questions about College Accreditation

What particularly struck my eye was this passage further down the page:

''Once a school has been accredited, it is likely (but not certain) that all its degrees will be regarded as accredited, whenever earned.''

Maybe you can check directly with the school in question. Ask at the help desk, sorta thing.

·
Mastodon Hunter
8,093 Posts
Why don't you talk with the school adviser?

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
Generally schools will have two accreditations or more, one being regional and the other being the national bare minimum that most schools can get even if they're awful.

From what l know the HLC's accreditation is regional, but l would ask your adviser about the program not being accredited specifically and also ask the school you want to transfer to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts