Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are other INTPs addicted to Fe? I feel like it's almost like drugs for me and I will do almost anything (within reason) to feel alive.

Heavily emotive music is the easiest (and safest) way for me to feel alive. But there are other things too like looking down the edge of a steep cliff. Then there are more reckless behaviors. Drugs, alcohol. In my profession these things almost seem recreational. Perhaps they are for most people. I've stayed away from these, except for social drinking, as much as I can because I can easily see that I would become addicted to the heady feeling it would give me.

The fact that I can feel at all is fascinating to me. The fact that I can feel my heart pounding in my chest, or that I feel warm or that I'm crying for some reason I don't understand. I want to feel, and I want to keep feeling.

I feel like it could cause me to easily become hedonistic or nihilistic if I ever allowed myself to be completely unrestrained. It's interesting because I know I would never go that far, yet it is also mildly concerning because I can see it within me.

Similarly people that heavily use Fe, like INFJs, are incredibly addicting to me. Depending on the amount they exude, being around them can range from comforting to giving me the same "high" effect. It becomes an addiction, a compulsion at that point. And it's incredibly worrying. The human form is even more concerning because then my brain shuts down completely.

Any others that feel this way?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
nihilism from Fe is an interesting idea

I wonder if all Fe users are secret nihilists.... or is that just an INTP thing? Like in a Rick from Rick and Morty kind of way.

But yeah Fe has ways of influencing me in less than controllable ways. For better or worse.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Are other INTPs addicted to Fe? I feel like it's almost like drugs for me and I will do almost anything (within reason) to feel alive.

Heavily emotive music is the easiest (and safest) way for me to feel alive. But there are other things too like looking down the edge of a steep cliff. Then there are more reckless behaviors. Drugs, alcohol. In my profession these things almost seem recreational. Perhaps they are for most people. I've stayed away from these, except for social drinking, as much as I can because I can easily see that I would become addicted to the heady feeling it would give me.

The fact that I can feel at all is fascinating to me. The fact that I can feel my heart pounding in my chest, or that I feel warm or that I'm crying for some reason I don't understand. I want to feel, and I want to keep feeling.

I feel like it could cause me to easily become hedonistic or nihilistic if I ever allowed myself to be completely unrestrained. It's interesting because I know I would never go that far, yet it is also mildly concerning because I can see it within me.

Similarly people that heavily use Fe, like INFJs, are incredibly addicting to me. Depending on the amount they exude, being around them can range from comforting to giving me the same "high" effect. It becomes an addiction, a compulsion at that point. And it's incredibly worrying. The human form is even more concerning because then my brain shuts down completely.

Any others that feel this way?
What you're describing doesn't seem like it has anything to do with judgement and is almost purely based on perception.

What you're experiencing might be Si, assuming you're an INTP (heh, that rhymes).

When I think of indulging in Fe, I'm thinking more of things like, for example, the pride and satisfaction one feels when sharing logical and theoretical content to others as you're demonstrating your intellect to be acknowledged and valued by the environment, proving yourself correct or others wrong, or patriotism, the unconditional love for one's country, a concept comprising history, culture, language, etc. (which is independent from the state/government ruling said country. If they do fucked up shit in the name of the country, I don't stop loving the country, I resent them for dragging the country through the mud; the mud is no inherent part of the country).

The fundamental psychological desire to be acknowledged and valued for my talents, skills, positive traits, contributions to the environment, etc., drives me to improve myself in all of those things in order to be acknowledged and valued for them, which gives me an extreme amount of satisfaction.

Connected to Si, I also occasionally fantasize about power in a very megalomaniacal way, imagining myself in positions of great power, accomplishing great things, such as, for example, a superintelligent scientist who changed the world with a new discovery/theory, the head of a great empire that is spreading liberty throughout the world, or even a godlike entity with physics-defying superpowers.

As much as I get off on these head trips, I don't actually pretend I'm any of these things or that I'm even close to accomplishing them as of now, as that would be irrational and immature narcissism.
Speaking of immature narcissism, I used to fantasize about these things considerably more when I was younger, and used to be the type of person who'd shove their intellect into other people's faces nearly every chance I got, and it felt so good every time until I gained enough social awareness to realize that doing that won't make them acknowledge or value my intellect in the slightest, only motivating them to catch me off guard and/or trip me up when I'm at my worst, assuming or pretending that's my "true" intelligence, portraying me as a pseudo-intellectual poser just to spite me because I made them look like idiots, whether or not they actually were idiots, or even pretty smart themselves.

However, I still believe in somewhat achieving these fantasies as much as is realistic, and manage to get into positions that can back up the standards to which I hold myself.

It feels like achieving these goals is a significant part of what makes my life worth living, and it's these goals not being achieved, among enough other factors by themselves, that rule out any consideration of nihilism-based suicide.
Another thing that keeps me from ever considering suicide is my intrinsic curiosity for how the future will turn out and what it holds for us.

What do you think?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Endogeny: Very interesting... However I cannot relate to it at all. Perhaps you thought it might be Si because I mentioned that I enjoyed feeling my heart beating? When I'm in this state, I don't fantasize. Frankly, I don't think at all. I only feel. What do you think it is?

·
Registered
987 Posts
I HATE feeling out-of-control emotional like you are describing, so can't relate to that. I'm also really bad at it. It tends to be negative when it goes out of control. I keep a tight grip on Fe to avoid loss of control.

However, I do love watching people who have good use of Fe in action. They weave magic with words when they talk to people and it is fascinating. There are a lot of xxFJs among my favorite characters in fiction. I'm a sucker for the pure, idealistic hero.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh that is very interesting... If Se is what I'm always experiencing when I'm stressed... then perhaps I am an ENTP...

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Fe is a Judging function and none of what you've described seems to have anything to do with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts