Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I've noticed that I have a dependency on social media and I constantly feel the urge to check it. I feel it affects my quality of life and happiness in a negative way, and I really want to quit. Every time I try, I end up relapsing and check it again.

Are there any tips to greatly reduce usage or stay off social media?

Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I really want to quit. Every time I try, I end up relapsing and check it again.
Social media--or rather antisocial media--is definitely a good thing to want to quit. It can be difficult, though, since it fulfills an innate desire to feel connected to others. Ironically, it actually destroys connections with others. You end up knowing what someone you met three years ago (and haven't talked to since) had for breakfast, but you don't know what your closest friends truly feel is important, and you never get a chance to communicate with people on a deep level. Everyone's too busy posting stupid videos.

But you know all that already, or you wouldn't be trying to quit. Good on you for realizing that this so-called connectedness of the internet-era is just a big corporate lie. They hijacked our true friendships and replaced them with shallow feeds, "likes", and advertisements. Now if only everyone else could figure that out.

It's not all bad, though. You don't necessarily need to quit Facebook or whatever you're using. You do, however, need to make a concerted effort to get and give what you and others need: true connection. I.e., don't just "like" a thing and keep scrolling. Ask the person about it. Talk about it. Even better, send a PM just to talk and see how they're doing. Rekindle old friendships with real, authentic messages. Don't just scroll around looking for memes, pictures of dinner and dogs, and political vitriol. That's a complete waste of time.

As for how to beat an addiction, if that's truly what it is, that's a different beast altogether. There are a lot of aspects that go into it. What it really comes down to is your decision, each moment, to do what you know is right and good for you. It's not willpower, which runs out, but something deeper. It's a knowing that, each time you decide not to waste time reading someone's angry monologue about how that other political party is so bad, you become a slightly better person. And all of those occasions will add up, over time, to huge benefits. Learning how to make the right decision when you have a simple choice may be the single most important factor in reaching your full potential as a person. If you're interested, Jeff Olsen's The Slight Edge is a great book to explain this and help you make the right decisions when you'd really rather not.

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
How do you beat it? I recently got another job and I fill my time with productive things. I'm waiting for my second job to start so I won't have time to waste on unimportant things since my time will be limited. I usually replace addictions with another addiction, but at least one that benefits me...like I'd rather work 80 hours than waste 80 hours on the Internet. I also joined a gym. I'm spending less and less time now on the Internet and occasionally get on during breaks but it doesn't consume my life like it used to.

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
I'm about to quit Perc here as well. A lot of toxic posters on here who love dishing it out but wanna cry to the mods when I hand their asses back to them. This place isn't like how it once was.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Hi there! I've noticed that I have a dependency on social media and I constantly feel the urge to check it. I feel it affects my quality of life and happiness in a negative way, and I really want to quit. Every time I try, I end up relapsing and check it again.

Are there any tips to greatly reduce usage or stay off social media?

Thanks!
either delete your account or maybe like don't bookmark the page or sign out so you'd have to sign back in. that might be a bit of a deterrent. besides that you will need to use your willpower. maybe set specific times you will allow yourself to log in?

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Excellent choice! I'm far from addicted but I still spend too much time on it.

My husband recently installed a website-blocker to keep him off of certain websites while he is at work so he wont be tempted.

I would suggest using something like this, gradually at first, and then decreasing the allotted time more and more until you don't even think about it as much.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,447 Posts
Delete / terminate your accounts. Flush your bookmarks / cache / histories - et al. Divert your attention elsewhere - perhaps, indulging in phone conversations - rather than Tweeter™ / Fauxbook™ statuses.

There is much do get addicted to love; start a garden - and smell the roses.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I'm about to quit Perc here as well. A lot of toxic posters on here who love dishing it out but wanna cry to the mods when I hand their asses back to them. This place isn't like how it once was.
Where do all these toxic posters come from? I never seem to come across them on this site and it's one of the more "healthy" forums I've visited. Debates, sure, but toxic discussions? I'm good at avoiding it, I guess?

@5tarrynight
Good for you. Some people don't notice if they spend more time on social media than they would like, so it's great you want to take action to adjust it. (I try to not spend too much time on this site to keep a balance, not that you guys aren't all great!)

Things that help me:
- set a time to do it, and stick to it
- set a certain AMOUNT of time, and don't surpass it
- set rules for things that are more important, and put those first. (Ex. Family, chores, another enjoyable activity.)
- determine which aspects of SM you enjoy more than others and the time it takes for each individual aspect. (Uploading may take longer than messaging, for e., so if you only have a few mins before another task, you'd want to choose the latter.)
- let your friends know you're making a goal of this, so they don't take it personally if you make fewer or shorter comments.

·
私を愛して
ESTJ; LSE; 3w4; Sp/Sx
14,683 Posts
Addicted to Social Media
When I'm consciously thinking about something I want to quit all I'm doing is thinking about it which actually leads to a higher chance I will continue with the same issue.

The best remedy for quitting is to stop thinking about it; non stop.
Do something else, get outside, get distracted; and eventually you will forget all about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts