Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My typical routine is work,study for a couple of hours after work, then spend the rest of the entire day surfing the web. I never watch TV, I just surf the web like a madman searching for something i'll never find. Today for example after getting up I worked out in the garage ( because my sunday morning beach buddies all partied the night before and flaked out). Then I went to the local coffee hangout and studied for 2 hours or so. And now for the last 5 hours I have been sitting on my computer watching documentaries, youtube, playing flight simulator, etc... I usually get fed up with the amount of time I spend on the computer because I start thinking that I should be doing something else, whether it's studying or hanging out with friends ( who are all married and have kids now so that's out of the picture anyway) and I turn off the computer only to walk by my ipad and get hooked on that for another who knows how long. So here I am again back on my computer. I feel obsessed and it kind of bothers me. Is anyone like this ?

·
Registered
129 Posts
One of these other many ISTJ threads, says its not about spending a lot of time on the net - it is to our minds research.
I think more often than not, it is.
May research on how to renovate your garage for example and you may have converted into a rumpus room and have a model aeroplane overhead that leads you to the flight simulator and so on.

It is all connected. As someone that parses lots of information and then can usually summarise it concisely - its my method for learning and relaxation. I do not find it relaxing, if it is forced upon me or I can't see some use for it.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Yes, way more than I'd like. And yes, it can be an addiction of sorts in that it is pleasant, grants rewards to your brain, and can interfere with what you really should be doing. Basically, it's an unhealthy trap to fall into and you don't want to stay there, or it will become a habit - a well worn path in your brain that is hard to break.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'll join in and say that I'm addicted to on the internet a lot also. Assuming I don't have any work to do on the computer, most of my internet/computer time is either gaming with my e-friends or doing research about something that has my interest.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I was like that when I was depressed, and I think the lack of doing anything else unless I absolutely had to was a symptom in itself.

You seem to spend a lot of time studying and working, though. Not enough productivity in your downtime? What's missing?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was like that when I was depressed, and I think the lack of doing anything else unless I absolutely had to was a symptom in itself.

You seem to spend a lot of time studying and working, though. Not enough productivity in your downtime? What's missing?
I think you nailed it. It's my downtime that frustrates me because I spend all of it on the web. My Internet surfing does not interfere with my daily duties though. I get up early and slam out what I have to get done. Once I am done with work and after my brain shuts off from studying is when I surf the web the rest of the day. I realize its my way of decompressing but I get frustrated because I feel like I should always be doing something productive.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
After a stressful 8 hour work day, I usually spend my evenings unwinding through internet surfing. Especially on sites like PerC. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I finally bought a TV (I haven't had one for a year) and ended up getting a smart TV. Which made me realize its using the internet. The internet, I cannot escape you.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I think you nailed it. It's my downtime that frustrates me because I spend all of it on the web. My Internet surfing does not interfere with my daily duties though. I get up early and slam out what I have to get done. Once I am done with work and after my brain shuts off from studying is when I surf the web the rest of the day. I realize its my way of decompressing but I get frustrated because I feel like I should always be doing something productive.
Think of it as "scheduled recharge time" and pin some test scores up to enjoy. :wink:

·
Registered
248 Posts
I do not think that an addiction to the internet is that bad... the world is advancing, and the internet becomes more and more important; having an easier time navigating through it as well as preferring to spend time there is turning into an advantage.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I was pondering this the other day. I didn't really use the internet much until 1998. After I was out of college. What did I do before that? Hiking, biking, reading magazines, books, going places, doing stuff with friends, family and boyfriends. But I remember most of my time I spent at a library, bookstore and reading in my bedroom. So nothing has really changed, just the medium. I am still a researcher and learner at heart. :)

Edited to add: I recently moved to a new county, and needed a new library card. I didn't use my old libraries much, but wow, was I spoiled! Two nearest me were quite new and large and beautiful. One was the second largest in my state. I would go there on occasion and just wander. My new one looks unchanged for the past 30 years. Small. Ugh.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts