Personality Cafe banner

Which of the following applies most to you?

• Professionally diagnosed with ADHD hyperactive-impulsive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Professionally diagnosed with ADHD inattentive (commonly called ADD)

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • Professionally diagnosed with ADHD combined

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Suspect presence of ADHD hyperactive-impulsive

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Suspect presence of ADHD inattentive

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Suspect presence of ADHD combined

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No confirmed or suspected ADHD

Votes: 14 29.2%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello INFP's! How many of you have been professionally diagnosed with ADHD or suspect that you have it, based on symptoms you've observed? Whether you have ADHD or not, I can certainly use your answer in the poll above! Thanks in advance for those who respond!

Here is the National Institute of Mental Health's description of the three kinds of ADHD: NIMH · Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)

If you're wondering what I intend to do with the results, check out my blog post here: MBTI Correlation Project - Blogs - PersonalityCafe

Tag me or quote me if you want to get my attention on this thread. If there's an option you would like to select, but isn't available, let me know and I'll enter your information manually if possible.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hello INFP's! How many of you have been professionally diagnosed with ADHD or suspect that you have it, based on symptoms you've observed? Whether you have ADHD or not, I can certainly use your answer in the poll above! Thanks in advance for those who respond!

Here is the National Institute of Mental Health's description of the three kinds of ADHD: NIMH · Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)

If you're wondering what I intend to do with the results, check out my blog post here: MBTI Correlation Project - Blogs - PersonalityCafe

Tag me or quote me if you want to get my attention on this thread. If there's an option you would like to select, but isn't available, let me know and I'll enter your information manually if possible.
I deal with it every day it's pretty ridiculous, but i don't take any medications.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I suspect I have it maybe did have it, a mild form of predominately inattentive type perhaps.

I heard somewhere that you can't diagnose an adult with ADHD you can only diagnose the child and so have to look back to school reports and stuff like that to see what comments you got from teachers and what you struggled with.

Now that sounds like BS however I certainly did get a lot of comments where I seemed to struggle in a lot of areas, physical Education and sports, posture, handwriting, concentration (sometimes), making careless mistakes, spelling, mathematics, having few friends, difficult communicating with the other kids, being very quiet, struggling to do and complete simple easy tasks.

That last one became worse during high school where I had a lot of difficulty with practical subjects such as Cooking, Chemistry, Science and technical subjects, but I was a bright and capable student in every other area and it was the same in primary (elementary) school as well. It could have easily just been a self confidence problem and for a large part it was probably exactly that.

Googling Adult Inatentive ADHD symptoms I came across this Adult ADD / ADHD: Signs, Symptoms, Effects, and Treatment

• “zoning out” without realizing it, even in the middle of a conversation.
  • extreme distractibility; wandering attention makes it hard to stay on track.
  • difficulty paying attention or focusing, such as when reading or listening to others.
  • struggling to complete tasks, even ones that seem simple.
  • tendency to overlook details, leading to errors or incomplete work.
  • poor listening skills; hard time remembering conversations and following directions.
I'd have to say I relate very strongly to most of those with the exception perhaps of the second one which I only really relate to some of the time, and the 5th one for me doesn't lead to incomplete work just a lot of careless mistakes. I probably especially relate to the first one I tend to zone out in a group conversation my mind wanders and I don't even realise it until I am wondering what we are talking about.

These attributes though are common in many people and probably something common to a lot of INFP's as well, so it's difficult really to say if I actually relate to ADHD.

I took a test on psych central the questions aren't that great but I score in the 'mild adhd possible zone'

Attention Deficit Disorder (ADHD) Test - Psych Central

You scored a total of36

You appear to suffer from mild attention and concentration difficulties according to your responses to this self-report questionnaire. You should not take this as a diagnosis of any sort, or a recommendation for treatment. However, you may want to look into seeking further consultation with a trained mental health professional if you are experiencing any difficulties in daily functioning due to these difficulties or if you'd like a more in-depth answer.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
You scored a total of 70

It is highly likely that you are presently suffering from adult attention deficit disorder, according to your responses on this self-report questionnaire. You should not take this as a diagnosis of any sort, or a recommendation for treatment. However, it would be advisable and likely beneficial for you to seek further diagnosis from a trained mental health professional immediately.
According to that test, I have ADD. I wouldn't take it too seriously though, unless I was officially diagnosed. I think I just have an disorganised and "dreamy" personality. My mind tends to wander a lot but I don't think what I have could be classified as a disorder. Teachers often commented on my handwriting, attendance, participation and focus in class, and my ability to meet deadlines...although I always get good grades in the subjects that I'm interested in. If I do have ADD, it's obviously not severe because I'm able to manage it without medication and/or therapy.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
You scored a total of 67

You appear to be suffering from a moderate amount of attention and concentration difficulties according to your responses to this self-report questionnaire. You should not take this as a diagnosis of any sort, or a recommendation for treatment. However, it would be advisable and likely beneficial for you to seek further diagnosis from a trained mental health professional soon to rule out a possible attention disorder.

I've looked into this a lot and reckon it's pretty likely I'm suffering from inattentive variant. In a years time I gain my independence and I plan to deal with that then to avoid my family caring about it too much. That sounds cold, but I genuinely can't bear the thought of them trying to support me in things like that. It's really weird.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Results of your
Attention Deficit Disorder Quiz​

You scored a total of 82

It is highly likely that you are presently suffering from adult attention deficit disorder, according to your responses on this self-report questionnaire. You should not take this as a diagnosis of any sort, or a recommendation for treatment. However, it would be advisable and likely beneficial for you to seek further diagnosis from a trained mental health professional immediately.

____

:laughing:

·
Registered
INFP, 4w5 sx/sp
1,193 Posts
I've been professionally diagnosed with ADHD, inattentive subtype.

Just for fun, I'll take the quiz. XD And ooh, look! I even got a cool picture.
You scored a total of 70

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have been professionally 'diagnosed' with ADHD. I even took the 'medication' with no effect. However, it is my mind and I can get a hold of it through meditation, but I can't get rid of the INFP curse of day dreaming. Meditation just makes that worse. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I was professionally diagnosed a few months ago. I'm on 72mg of concerta. It definitely helps work and stuff, but it causes quite a bit of anxiety.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have been professionally diagnosed with ADHD (inattentive) as well. I take adderol to help me focus in class and on tasks I need to complete. When I am off my meds, I am highly unproductive and figure out thinking problems slower.

Reactions: SalvinaZerelda

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
I have always been told I have attention deficeincy in one way or another. <.< I suspect I have inattentive ADHD, HOWEVER...^^ I intend for it to stay undiagnosed and NO I don't want medication.

My focus is perfect and I can sustain it for days if something really interests me. I lose it within seconds especially if someone bores me with minor detail in a subject I care nothing for.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
ADD-inattentive has been a major curse all my life. However, because if my age and the state of knowledge about ADD in my country when I was young, it took me until 2008 to finally be able to give my demon his name.

·
Registered
751 Posts
You scored a total of 63

You appear to be suffering from a moderate amount of attention and concentration difficulties according to your responses to this self-report questionnaire. You should not take this as a diagnosis of any sort, or a recommendation for treatment. However, it would be advisable and likely beneficial for you to seek further diagnosis from a trained mental health professional soon to rule out a possible attention disorder.

High score. I would suspect I have ADHD, whenever I get frustrated and can't escape the source of my frustration e.g. on the phone with an irritating or idiotic customer at work I become majorly fidgity; an automatic mechanism to be stimulated by something other than the problem. I do feel my mind is impaired and that there is something wrong with it - most of the time anyway. I am considering getting medication and seeking a professional diagnosis however numerous individuals/parties/groups over the years have said I have talents as a writer and should work on developing them (independent of each other.) Would medication cause an erosion of whatever mental mechanisms bring these supposed skills out? I don't want to depreciate the only noteworthy thing I can bring to the table.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Definitely ADHD inattentive type [ADD], was diagnosed and stuff early on.. but I also have hyperactive-impulsive moments every now and then..
I can be very spontaneous and attention-loving for an introvert.. haha. o.o

People get annoyed at me because they think I'm not listening, when I am.. but I have to "multi-task" or compare their information to the topic while I am learning/listening sometimes, or else my mind will start wandering back to the stuff I usually am thinking about. x.x
I almost need people to get straight to the point or to say something interesting..
or else I will transform what they said into something entirely different.

Learning can be a head ache, but also so damn fun as a result of my ADD.
I seem like the most idiotic person in the world, but I just have a hard time describing the stuff I have learned.. sometimes because what I like is obscure, sometimes because what I like is too subjective, sometimes because I worry about what people will say or think too much..
I found that I have to hyper focus on the stuff I like or I will be a complete space cadet. ;-;

The way I see it, I have two extremes.. ADHD inattentive and OCD.
I use OCD to balance out my ADHD because otherwise I would be spaced out all the time.

·
Registered
917 Posts
You scored a total of 63

not totally convinced as im sure at least some of my repsonces are infp not adhd, also sure i've taken this test before at some point not sure what i got then though

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Results of your
Attention Deficit Disorder Quiz​

You scored a total of 49

You appear to suffer from mild attention and concentration difficulties according to your responses to this self-report questionnaire. You should not take this as a diagnosis of any sort, or a recommendation for treatment. However, you may want to look into seeking further consultation with a trained mental health professional if you are experiencing any difficulties in daily functioning due to these difficulties or if you'd like a more in-depth answer.

This is new. :3 Lol, I've never thought I have ADHD. I think it often exaggerates our behaviour and makes us think that we have mental disorders when they're only little weaknesses.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts