Personality Cafe banner

Which of the following applies most to you?

• Professionally diagnosed with ADHD hyperactive-impulsive

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Professionally diagnosed with ADHD inattentive (commonly called ADD)

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Professionally diagnosed with ADHD combined

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Suspect presence of ADHD hyperactive-impulsive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Suspect presence of ADHD inattentive

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Suspect presence of ADHD combined

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • No confirmed or suspected ADHD

Votes: 11 35.5%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ENFP's! How many of you have been professionally diagnosed with ADHD or suspect that you have it, based on symptoms you've observed? Whether you have ADHD or not, I can certainly use your answer in the poll above! Thanks in advance for those who respond!

Here is the National Institute of Mental Health's description of the three kinds of ADHD: NIMH · Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)

If you're wondering what I intend to do with the results, check out my blog post here: MBTI Correlation Project - Blogs - PersonalityCafe

Tag me or quote me if you want to get my attention on this thread. If there's an option you would like to select, but isn't available, let me know and I'll enter your information manually if possible.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Strongly suspect ADD, though I do think it may have been ADHD when I was younger - the hyperactivity seems to have lessened with time. The doctor who has treated me since I was two years old suspects an ADD diagnosis as well, but back when I was little (before I learned ways to cope), it wasn't really something that was being diagnosed. And I was in gifted&talented at school which provided me with smaller class sizes and more individualized attention and more active/unconventional lessons, so I think a lot of the fall-out from the ADHD was mitigated. And then I just learned to cope. I was lucky enough to be smart enough to get by in school until those coping skills were developed.

At this point I have figured out enough of how I work that I don't find it necessary to get a diagnosis. I do fine. The ways I work are often unconventional, but they allow me to get things done. I also self-medicate with caffeine to assist me with focusing and calming myself.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I've been diagnosed with inattentive ADD. I take medication for it but it's still quite a problem. I've got a pretty high IQ but I have to work much harder in school than most because I can't concentrate. I've been taking medication but it's likely I'll never be able to finish college unless I have a ridiculous amount of medication and a personal tutor...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I can't exactly remember what my doctor had told me (as in type of ADHD) but I remember that he did say I had a mild case of ADD where it wasn't so much hyper but I couldn't stay focused at something, I would get bored and start daydreaming about other things and keep my mind busy on other things. I don't take medications because of the side-effects that it gives to some people. I still struggle with this where when I have an assignment or a task I need to accomplish, someone has to tell me it has to get done before a certain (exact) time or else consequences will be given. And I would wait till the last minute and go into my hyperactive mode where I won't stop till I get it done before the time is up.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've never been professionally diagnosed but I've had many people ask me if I have it. *shrug* I think it's because like so many ENFPs, I go off on tangents when I tell stories or explain something or discuss something, etc. I'm also very exciteable when I'm interested in a topic...or when I'm in a good mood I'm bouncy and cheerful. And I'm always quite boisterous. :D
I have trouble concentrating on things that do not interest me, but I would've thought that would be true for many people. I don't think that means all those people have ADD/ADHD. I think people are quick to diagnose others as having ADD/ADHD. I'm not saying that it doesn't exist, but that I think people over-diagnose-- if that makes sense.
Finally, I can't sit still. I have to move around--or at least doodle. I fidget and shift positions frequently. If I'm in a room with lots of things that can be touched, then I touch everything. I'm one of those people who touches everything anyway (whether I'm bored or not, whether I'm paying attention or not). If there's a sign that says "Do not push button" or "Wet paint, to not touch" that's a surefire way to get me to actually touch it. Though, if the sign wasn't there, I'd probably push it anyway.

·
Registered
ESTJ 3w2 sp
3,087 Posts
Personally I have a hard time believing so many people have ADHD. I think Ne-doms get diagnosed with it because our functions can mimic the symptoms. However I really don't know :/ I have been diagnosed with inattentive ADHD. I don't and haven't taken meds for it but I am considering doing so.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Personally I have a hard time believing so many people have ADHD. I think Ne-doms get diagnosed with it because our functions can mimic the symptoms. However I really don't know :/ I have been diagnosed with inattentive ADHD. I don't and haven't taken meds for it but I am considering doing so.

Left brain = Logical (Sensing/judging)
Right brain = creative (intuitive/perceiving)*

Creative minds are at home in their imagination.. It's natural that intuitive perceivers would be ADD/ADHD.
I wouldn't assume that we simply appear ADD, because of functions mimicking symptoms. But rather, I believe (although likely overdiagnosed), that ADD/ADHD is simply a way of expressing what is common to creative minds, in a way that everyone can understand.

Essentially, to wonder if we are misdiagnosed because of mimicking functions.. That's somewhat like finding a yellow feather, and wondering if it came from a duck, or if they simply have feathers that are identical in all ways.

*Note: This isn't to say that all sensors are uncreative, and all intuitives are more creative.
Many of the greatest musicians are ESFPs. They are creative, right brained people.. ESFPs vary a bit, but many border on being intuitive sensors. I'll explain more later.. I'm watching the season 3 finale of White Collar. :D

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I've never been officially diagnosed, and I am not even sure I would constitute my behaviour as any form of ADD. But! My report cards always said: "Sirène is easily distracted/distracts others around her" or "rarely participates in class discussions" (which was usually because I was daydreaming). Like some of the others have said in this thread, I do have trouble concentrating in classes. If I happen to be studying something I have no interest in, I absolutely cannot focus. Even when I like the topic I have to constantly stop my mind from wandering. But it's especially hard for me to absorb any information related to something I have zero interest in. My teachers have consistently been frustrated with me because they know I am capable of more, but I just can't seem to muster the concentration/focus needed to participate in and complete tasks effectively.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Definitely have ADD. I always wondered why coffee would make me exhausted, but apparently that's a major warning sign since stimulants have the opposite effect on people with the disorder. Of course, I was diagnosed the month after I graduated high school so it didn't exactly help as much as it could have. :frustrating:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Definitely have ADD. I always wondered why coffee would make me exhausted, but apparently that's a major warning sign since stimulants have the opposite effect on people with the disorder. Of course, I was diagnosed the month after I graduated high school so it didn't exactly help as much as it could have. :frustrating:
Yes..I should be avoiding sugar and caffeine especially for this reason. Glad I listened..sips coca cola. But this is also why I have stayed away for any sort of highly stimulative drug. No one understands the effects for me. I find myself saying "You don't get it, I am total opposite of how everyone reacts to this shit"

Reactions: cue5c and Owfin

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Left brain = Logical (Sensing/judging)
Right brain = creative (intuitive/perceiving)*

Creative minds are at home in their imagination.. It's natural that intuitive perceivers would be ADD/ADHD.
I wouldn't assume that we simply appear ADD, because of functions mimicking symptoms. But rather, I believe (although likely overdiagnosed), that ADD/ADHD is simply a way of expressing what is common to creative minds, in a way that everyone can understand.

Essentially, to wonder if we are misdiagnosed because of mimicking functions.. That's somewhat like finding a yellow feather, and wondering if it came from a duck, or if they simply have feathers that are identical in all ways.
I have ADD (despite being an opposite type from ENFP), and let me tell you, it doesn't feel like creativity at all. It feels like I'm broken, like I cannot direct what I think about. What I mean is, in your normal life, people divide mental energy almost unconciously on a little bit here, lots of focus here, etc. But with ADD, you have to do a manual override of this process. Imagine having to conciously think, "Arm, move 2 degrees left, one degree up", and you have a pretty good idea of what it's like controlling your attention with ADD. Without medication, I have to continuously repeat in my head "Okay, I'm gonna do this. This thing. This thing." so that I don't divert my attention to random shit. Concerta makes it natural, normal.

ESFPs vary a bit, but many border on being intuitive sensors.
How? They are intuition inferior types. Try an ISP or an ESJ for a truly more intuitive sensor.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
How? They are intuition inferior types. Try an ISP or an ESJ for a truly more intuitive sensor.
A lot of the times, inferior functions show up more than tertiary ones. It's funny you'd say this, because you especially come off as an "intuitor", whatever the hell that means, along with a lot of my ISTJ friends. It wouldn't surprise me that ESFPs come off that way because of inferior Ni.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I have ADD (despite being an opposite type from ENFP), and let me tell you, it doesn't feel like creativity at all. It feels like I'm broken, like I cannot direct what I think about. What I mean is, in your normal life, people divide mental energy almost unconciously on a little bit here, lots of focus here, etc. But with ADD, you have to do a manual override of this process. Imagine having to conciously think, "Arm, move 2 degrees left, one degree up", and you have a pretty good idea of what it's like controlling your attention with ADD. Without medication, I have to continuously repeat in my head "Okay, I'm gonna do this. This thing. This thing." so that I don't divert my attention to random shit. Concerta makes it natural, normal.

Sorry for any nonsense in there.. I was quite literally half asleep when writing it.

Anyway, I completely forgot to address that. Sorry..
Outside of general intuitive's ADD. (I'll call it "Diverted attention", seeing as it's quite often more of a case of internal thought, rather than a complete lack of attention to anything.)
There is a legitimate attention deficit that is cause by a chemical imbalance in the brain.. I think there's a massive test that would tell you what is off balance, but I can't remember entirely what the issue is.
I wouldn't be entirely shocked if it's low Dopamine, though.. I haven't researched enough on this, so I'm obviously just ignorantly spitballing this. But anyway..
Dopamine is what sends the signals to the neuroreceptors. So logically speaking, that would decrease focus and more.

As for the ESFP thing.. Basically what I was trying to say, is that despite them being Se dominant, ESFP musicians (at the very least), seem to use the inferior intuition to bring something new to the musical table.
I could be blithering nonsense right now, I don't know.
I know that a very very large amount of musicians just put out generic crap that makes me want to puke.. But there are some that seem to step outside of the boundaries of what everyone else has done.
Perhaps I'm just wrongly trying to associate all creativity and unique thought, to intuition.. I don't know.. I should probably start getting more than 4-6 hours of sleep. hahaha
Basically I tend to think of the functions kind of like this.
E/I: Social interaction types
Si/Se: Mental focus (Past, present), and memory
Ni/Ne: Mental focus (Future), and creativity
Fi/Fe: Moral compass. Fi = Independently decided moralism, Fe = Trust in collectively decided belief.
I used law as an example. Fi perspective = I don't care what they say, This is right/wrong. Fe perspective = the majority of the world agrees that this is right, obviously it must be true.
Neither way is wrong, because it's all about how it fits. Fi on TJs is works. Fi = independence, J = grounding.
Fe on TPs is perfect, because TPs are known to step outside of all boundaries, and try new things.. But Fe is what grounds them.
It all works perfectly.
Te/Ti: Thinking styles.. I don't know enough about Ti to really go in depth on this subject.. I'm still learning though. After all, I only learned what MBTI is, less than a year ago. :)

So basically, we need one of each of these to have complete personalities.

Oh.. And thank you @cue5c for helping me with that bit.. I was at a loss on how to explain it. hahaha

Reactions: Owfin

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
A lot of the times, inferior functions show up more than tertiary ones. It's funny you'd say this, because you especially come off as an "intuitor", whatever the hell that means, along with a lot of my ISTJ friends. It wouldn't surprise me that ESFPs come off that way because of inferior Ni.

I'm really glad you said this, because I've noticed this as well.
I have an ISTJ sister who, although being quite detail oriented, has creativity and does music and business stuff!
I'd imagine it simply comes from having overall well developed personalities. See! ISTJs.. They take care of EVERYTHING. hahaha

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I'm really glad you said this, because I've noticed this as well.
I have an ISTJ sister who, although being quite detail oriented, has creativity and does music and business stuff!
I'd imagine it simply comes from having overall well developed personalities. See! ISTJs.. They take care of EVERYTHING. hahaha
Yeah, it bugs me when people mention how soulless and boring ISTJs are. I have a feeling they don't know what the hell they're talking about. :tongue:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm officially diagnosed with ADHD combined, thus hyperactive, impulsive and inattentive... Lately I tried to live without medication, while writing my thesis for uni... :( Big disaster! So today I took the pills and look: I've been so productive on this forum. :p

I think I'm actually ADD, without the hyperactivity... although I can be hyperactive, most people think I am pretty calm.
I used to be creative/impulsive/fun to be with, but lately I'm just struggling. It's not funny at all, at times I'm so desperate I don't think I will ever finish this stupid thesis... I'm pretty smart (some psychologists used the word 'gifted'), but I feel like this has increased the pressure. I feel like I have to be the perfect gifted student, but I'm not... I disappoint myself every day. I dream of doing a PHD, but I doubt I could handle it without tutoring. And most university professors don't understand ADD, all they see is an unmotivated or incapable student.

But my husband says his life would be so boring without me. :D And people call me funny, sensitive, creative, original, etc. Well, I think I have to make the best of it...!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts