Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Read Only
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just figured out that I have ADHD. I exhibit all the symptoms. Ever since first grade I remember being told that I was a bad listener. I didn't have the ability to focus and sustain mental effort. I couldn't stand having to listen to the teacher talk and preferred reading the textbook. This continued until it started to affect my academic performance in 5th grade. I remember failing two math tests and getting average grades for the first time. I didn't notice this in 6th-9th grade. It was almost like it didn't exist then. Only recently have things changed. The past two weeks have been some of my worst. I am a sophomore in high school and I genuinely am unable to concentrate. This is extremely frustrating as I can't motivate myself to complete homework as my level of mind-wandering is at an all-time high. My thoughts are similar to a delicate chain that easily breaks. This may be just due to puberty and adolescence but I recall having a higher level of self control in 9th grade. I find it hard to attribute such a shift just to adolescence instead of taking it as an indication of an underlying disorder. I am extremely impatient and cannot bear to take my time on anything. If I don't feel like I am continuously shifting tasks then I feel manic. This manifests itself even in my visualization. I see myself doing random hand movements or doing something very repetitively. Its like having to watch a GIF forever. I suspect I have a combination of ADHD and OCD. There seems to be an overlap of their symptoms. This really sucks. Any thoughts or tips? I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
ESTP 7w6 so/sx
88 Posts
Tips? Consult a professional, they can help give you behavioral programs and/or medications to help with your focus. Thoughts? You sound like a really nice person.:smile-new:

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Talk a parent/guardian and/or a school counselor about your concerns. They can get you tested and help you get disability accommodations in school.

Consider telling them only your symptoms instead of mentioning ADHD—people sometimes see "self-diagnosis" as suspicious, as if you'd looked up a specific condition and are now trying to fake it. Also I had a similar problem in school and I don't have ADHD—trouble listening and preferring to read the textbook is a symptom of an auditory processing disorder. And the stimming you describe is a symptom of autism. So you may have something else and no ADHD or something in addition to ADHD.

But do mention the specific condition you have in mind if you find people trying to label you with weird symptoms/diagnoses that don't apply to you. Sometimes doctors get things wrong and misdiagnose people, which could be a disaster for you.

·
Read Only
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like good advice. I used to read voraciously as a child and I recall being able to focus with ease then. I was homeschooled since sixth grade and basically stopped reading one starting. I haven't read any books apart from school text books for a few years.
I haven't exercised consistently for a long time. Could this have something to do with dopamine levels which would in turn affect my concentration? This also affects my understanding of academic disciplines. My understanding is mostly intuitive and not deeply conceptual. Therefore I can get near perfect scores on tests despite in my view not being able to adequately explain concepts. Reading used to be enjoyable, easy, and natural. In 5th grade I was tested to have a reading level three grades above average. Now its kind of like a nightmare. I just sit there with the textbook waiting for a flash of insight or understanding sometimes. My younger brother is autistic. Maybe there is a genetic component to all this. I've also noticed my creativity and imagination decline in the past year or so. It seems that with me greater abstraction with age leads to diminishing creativity. I can no longer think the same way I could as a child. I can learn quicker but have lost all practical focus. Not socializing for some years has created a gap between myself and my peers. I've become an introvert with social anxiety. I used to be a very diligent student and perfectionist in nature but now I've evolved into the laziest person I know. I will talk to my high school counselor. I just fear not being taken seriously.

·
Read Only
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crap. The possibility that I might have Autism is driving me insane. Are people with autism at a distinct neurological disadvantage when it comes to their intelligence and brain connectivity?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Crap. The possibility that I might have Autism is driving me insane. Are people with autism at a distinct neurological disadvantage when it comes to their intelligence and brain connectivity?
Self diagnosis is often faulty and possibly harmful. If you’ve not been professionally diagnosed, tell your parents your concerns and ask for a consult concerning it.

Mindfulness is an extremely cheap and effective way to train yourself to be present in the moment and gain better focus. You might try researching and utilizing that, as it can be beneficial to anyone but especially to those who feel unable to focus well.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I've also realized I almost definitely have inattentive type ADHD -- though I'm unsure if it's mild or moderate. Once things get a bit better in my area COVID-19-wise I'm going to go in and see my doctor about it. The only problem is I also have Essential Tremor (diagnosed) so if they wanted me to go on medication I'd have to find one that doesn't make that worse -- or preferably even helps with both.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I just figured out that I have ADHD. I exhibit all the symptoms. Ever since first grade I remember being told that I was a bad listener. I didn't have the ability to focus and sustain mental effort. I couldn't stand having to listen to the teacher talk and preferred reading the textbook. This continued until it started to affect my academic performance in 5th grade. I remember failing two math tests and getting average grades for the first time. I didn't notice this in 6th-9th grade. It was almost like it didn't exist then. Only recently have things changed. The past two weeks have been some of my worst. I am a sophomore in high school and I genuinely am unable to concentrate. This is extremely frustrating as I can't motivate myself to complete homework as my level of mind-wandering is at an all-time high. My thoughts are similar to a delicate chain that easily breaks. This may be just due to puberty and adolescence but I recall having a higher level of self control in 9th grade. I find it hard to attribute such a shift just to adolescence instead of taking it as an indication of an underlying disorder. I am extremely impatient and cannot bear to take my time on anything. If I don't feel like I am continuously shifting tasks then I feel manic. This manifests itself even in my visualization. I see myself doing random hand movements or doing something very repetitively. Its like having to watch a GIF forever. I suspect I have a combination of ADHD and OCD. There seems to be an overlap of their symptoms. This really sucks. Any thoughts or tips? I would greatly appreciate it.

I used to suspect the same thing. The question you need to ask yourself is , “now what?”

If you have ADHD, then what? What happens next? What steps can you take to alleviate the symptoms of the suspected condition?

The main tips for me to get more organized 1) keep a daily to do list
2) break tasks into manageable size chunks (i.e. make dot points for essay —-> write one paragraph etc)
3) Make questions for words or statements that have been read (if a statement on a page says “the hypothesis is significant to research”, we ask “what doesn’t hypothesis mean?” ——> “what does significant mean?”)

Question and ask what each word means, and then you have attended to each detail in a statement read. ADHD means you have trouble with details but if you question the material and break it up into single words, you are more likely to pay attention to details. You can do the same with everything in life. Break things up into manageable chunks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts