Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed with a mild case of Adult ADHD this april, havent gotten any medicine for it but I'm much more aware and knowledgeable about the disorder. How many of you have it? How do you feel about the strengths of ADHD vs its weaknesses? My main issue is zoning out always, and lack of focus in classroom situations.

·
Banned
998 Posts
I was diagnosed with a mild case of Adult ADHD this april, havent gotten any medicine for it but I'm much more aware and knowledgeable about the disorder. How many of you have it? How do you feel about the strengths of ADHD vs its weaknesses? My main issue is zoning out always, and lack of focus in classroom situations.
It's all bullshit. If you're doing something you like do you still lose focus? I'm guessing not. I have the attention span of a fly.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've been questioning on if I have ADD or not (I wouldn't say I have the type with super-high energy all the time, I'd say that's pretty well-balanced for me, but more of the type with the concentration issues), but I try to blame my inattentiveness and clumsiness on my Ne and Ti. I'm just not at all /there/ with the world. And hey, it's okay! :proud: The world needs people like us. cuzwe'refreakingawesome

I could see ENxPs mistyping for ADHD often due to this, just a guess.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am profoundly ADHD-PI.
I would sugest you sit at the front of all your classes/ closest to your teacher. Every time the teacher passes by your desk, you'll be reminded to pay attention. Also, there's kess crap directly in front of you to take away your attention. I would also recomend being the annoying person that always asks "what if this" If you're talking, you're paying beter attention. If you're talking about what is being lectured, you're paying attention to what's being lectured.

It's all bullshit. If you're doing something you like do you still lose focus? I'm guessing not. I have the attention span of a fly.
You guess wrong.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I knew it was fake when I saw an official test question for diagnosing it "Do you have trouble concentrating and staying focus on tasks you find boring or mundane?" lolololol

Ummmm, well short of robots I think that's everyone..... It's a shame add and adhd has turned into such a joke since now the few people who actually have it are looked at as phonies........

How about you people stop bitching and just admit you're lazy? I'm pretty sure that was the method in the 20's and add and adhd were far less of a problem I believe (if it was even "discovered" yet XD )

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
^^I know many kids at school who have easily faked having ADD just for the sake of getting prescribed drugs to sell on the street.

I've been diagnosed with ADD, although I think that the only reason I didn't get diagnosed with ADHD is that I wasn't bouncing off the walls when I talked with the counselor who diagnosed me.

I've always looked at it as a hindrance, in general. I can't really keep my mind focused at all unless I take medication. I'm probably gonna be taking medication until I finish school, for that reason.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I knew it was fake when I saw an official test question for diagnosing it "Do you have trouble concentrating and staying focus on tasks you find boring or mundane?" lolololol

Ummmm, well short of robots I think that's everyone..... It's a shame add and adhd has turned into such a joke since now the few people who actually have it are looked at as phonies........

How about you people stop bitching and just admit you're lazy? I'm pretty sure that was the method in the 20's and add and adhd were far less of a problem I believe (if it was even "discovered" yet XD )
That and Electric Shock therapy.
In the early days, they put "bad" kids on sedatives. These greatly agitated the symptoms.

:crazy:

-------------------------------
I was lucky, my older brother is ADHD (the type that's obvious).
As a result my mother learned more about ADHD. I was Diagnosed at a young age... before I could take any SERIOUS hits to my self-esteem.
Also, I've had several years to figure out how to deal with it...
I mean it sucks, but you do what you gotta do.

I am not lazy at all, that would be a complete and total waste of my talents.
No one I know would dare call me lazy.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Ugh, shut the fuck up about add/adhd already.

If you have it, yay, you can't focus on anything, good job with life.

If you don't, which you probably don't, stop saying you do.

There's nothing interesting about it, I'd rather you tell me you had AIDs than this crap.

·
Registered
163 Posts

There's nothing interesting about it, I'd rather you tell me you had AIDs than this crap.
I find ADHD to be extremely interesting... From a neurochemical standpoint.......
Then again... neurochemistry is just plain interesting...

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
My mind is just a hornets nest of associations, thoughts and ideas. It took me until 16 to start getting the hang of it, and until 25 to control it and shape it into a refined weapon. My son is partly the same, as are all Extroverts with S or N, and even worse pared with a P. ALL of them (that I know of) are being accused of "concentration/focus difficulties" in school. ADD or ADHD speculations etc. I dont think many of them has it. They just get their serotonin from external stimuli, and if acting introvert, the serotonin levels drop and they lose energy and feel bad.

School is IxxJ territory.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
School is SJ territory, preferably ISxJ territory.

ENFJ son gets more hassle than ENFP daughter for absent-mindedness, but both are really bright, and both get it. Neither have ADD

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

I completely agree. I am sick of people romanticizing mental disorders.... Damn you media!

·
Registered
689 Posts

That's just, like, your opinion man.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Sounds like typical ENTP-ness to me. Classrooms aren't very conductive learning environments to our type, at least from my experience.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Stop arguing to argue, people. A wise man once said, "Don't talk about things you don't understand." Grow up.

OP, I have adult ADD and have been figuring out treatment for the last two years--ultimately, what you decide is up to you. If you can still reasonably handle your responsibilities, cognitive therapy might work well for you and you might not need medication.

I don't read the literature on ADHD because I ultimately find it misinformed or formatted to sell. The most helpful things, for me, were keeping regular contact with older people who had ADHD and had been working with it themselves for a longer span of time, as well as journaling about it. I don't like to just "talk" about things, so there had to be an aim to expanding my awareness of the disorder.

As far as the pros and cons go... I feel like there are no true "pros" to having the disorder, but that could be argued by others who have it? It makes me less judgmental but it also makes me more emotional, sometimes to the point of petulance.

An MBTI board might not be the best place, oddly enough, to approach the disorder... Nobody's really interested in neuroscience, only in themselves and why they're special.

·
Registered
409 Posts
ADHD is real and has been proven so. However, I think it's not as much of a disorder as a different way of thinking. ADHD correlates with high intelligence and curiosity.

I find that iNtuition dominant people seem to be much more likely to have it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts