Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any other infps on here who were adopted? I've been reading around a bit, and it seems that the personality issues that adopted people deal with are quite similar with what most infps struggle with.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I`m not, but I would like to eventually adopt at least one of my future children. Not sure how would an adopted child with an INFP parent deal with personal issues, though. Then again, if I think about it, if there really is a similarity between them, it might even turn out pretty well, after all INFPs understand INFPs the most.

(Yes? No? Maybe?)

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm adopted myself. I've always wondered if that had something to do with my personality. I love my family but I don't feel the huge emotional connection that I feel that I should feel for them. How old were you when you were adopted? I was adopted before I was born so if my parents hadn't told me I may have never known. But I don't know how much knowing that has affected my development as a person or not.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Personality "issues"
might come across a little offensively here, especially when you generalize it towards our entire type. I understand your post was out of curiosity and not malicious intent though, but I'm sure that scared away a few responses.

I have done a bit of research in regards to adopted children, but primarily in the sense of behavioral misconduct and future deviant behavior (often criminal). From my interpretation, many of the cases I glanced over were primarily ES__ types, although I'm sure that is biased based on the simplicity of finding people with more.. noticeable, traits.

Anyways, what particular traits in did you feel closely resembled INFPs? Just curious about the link~

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personality "issues"
might come across a little offensively here, especially when you generalize it towards our entire type. I understand your post was out of curiosity and not malicious intent though, but I'm sure that scared away a few responses.

I have done a bit of research in regards to adopted children, but primarily in the sense of behavioral misconduct and future deviant behavior (often criminal). From my interpretation, many of the cases I glanced over were primarily ES__ types, although I'm sure that is biased based on the simplicity of finding people with more.. noticeable, traits.

Anyways, what particular traits in did you feel closely resembled INFPs? Just curious about the link~
Huh? wasn't really talking about behavior misconduct. I haven't heard so much along those lines. But I know most adopted people always feel out of place, and they have really big trust issues. They also have a lot of difficulty connecting with their adopted parents in some cases, and have abandonment issues, too. That's more along the lines of what I meant.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm kinda the other way around. I'm not adopted (actually, I'm the spiting image of both my parents, who could easily be siblings) but from an outsider's perspective, it's like I never met my parents.

I grew up completely different from absolutely everyone in my family and pretty much brought myself up alone. Nowadays, really, I barely talk to my parents although both are quite alive and well. Dunno, I think adopted, although might have difficulties connecting to their families, at least are aware that their parents took them in. In my opinion, no greater act of love.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Huh? wasn't really talking about behavior misconduct. I haven't heard so much along those lines. But I know most adopted people always feel out of place, and they have really big trust issues. They also have a lot of difficulty connecting with their adopted parents in some cases, and have abandonment issues, too. That's more along the lines of what I meant.
I was adopted and do experience what you mentioned. and I am an infp. but I wasn't aware of any correlation.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm adopted myself. I've always wondered if that had something to do with my personality. I love my family but I don't feel the huge emotional connection that I feel that I should feel for them. How old were you when you were adopted? I was adopted before I was born so if my parents hadn't told me I may have never known. But I don't know how much knowing that has affected my development as a person or not.
I don't feel a connection to my adopted parents either. My parents told me I was adopted (it's obvious because we don't look anything alike) but they won't give me any of my birth information. It's aggravating. I was also adopted at a young age, I think I was 6-12 months old.

I think adopted, although might have difficulties connecting to their families, at least are aware that their parents took them in. In my opinion, no greater act of love.
this isn't always the case.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I was adopted by wonderful loving parents who gave me an enormous amount of love and every chance and every opportunity in life to make it. The have done such a good job that even now I have no inclination at all yet to figure out who my biological parents are.

However, my adoptive parents are (my father has passed away though) quite Sensory types and I am an N so there have always been major problems of mutual understanding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts