Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching ESTP/ESFP videos today and all the Se talk reminded me of a story from when I was a young girl.

My parents took my brother and I to the batting cages one day. As a clumsy INFJ who has atrocious reaction time to everything, you can already surmise how the situation went.

Now, after missing every single ball up to that point and subsequently suffering the snickering of onlookers, something interesting happened. I became frustrated that I couldn't accomplish something so simple (in my mind) as hitting a speeding ball, which led to my becoming enraged, but instead of the emotion expanding outward, it felt like it shrank down to a pinpoint. I became extremely focused, almost like I could suddenly see what I needed to do in order to make this happen. It was uncomfortable too, I should mention, my entire body was tense like a scrunched-up spring.

The next ball that came flying out of the machine, I cracked it straight and sent it flying.

The last ball that followed that, I actually was able to hit it directly back into the ball server (through the pipe thing).

I think the people watching me actually felt relieved that I was able to at least hit a couple of them. I personally felt like a champion, though. I wonder if this is how Se-doms feel whenever they accomplish Se-things.

So, fellow Ni-doms (INTJs are more than welcome here, too), I was wondering how you tend to experience Se and if you have any Se-related accomplishments or circumstances where you became more acutely aware of using that function in particular.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Oh yes, hitting the ball was always a problem for me. But I've learnt how to focus and hit it. Have spared myself of weird looks and comments.
For me, it takes a lot of effort to focus and be in present time while playing a team sport like handball, volleyball (I still am bad at it, whenever I hit the ball, it flies toward the sky... >_>)...
@SoulSpark : Probably.

I've almost forgot...

Dancing.

Dancing also bothered me. I enjoy music and know how to follow a rhythm, but whenever I'd be around people dancing, I'd feel embarrassed because of lack of dancing skills. Of course, I could move in rhythm, but it still looked bad.
I practiced some basic moves, depending on music genre... And I still practice dance moves spontaneously, by playing songs and dancing for even hours sometimes during weekends (when all the bad emotions are accumulated inside me) in front of a mirror to make sure I don't look like an idiot.

And then I watch Madonna's music videos... :th_love:

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Question for anyone: When something comes flying at me and I automatically hit it with my hand before even realising it's flying at me, is that my inferior Se?
Good question :)

I think it's probably a reflex instinct.

Where I grew up we have cockroaches that are 5cm/2 inches long. They have the knack at flying into a person's face.

I was terrified of these hideous things that I got really good at swiping them away.

·
Registered
25,985 Posts
I was wondering how you tend to experience Se and if you have any Se-related accomplishments or circumstances where you became more acutely aware of using that function in particular.
Every time I'm able to successfully wield a spoon to transport food to mouth is a satisfying win.

·
Registered
INFJ 3w2 Sx/So
3,373 Posts
There was a period of my childhood when I would just toss this rubber ball against my bedroom wall (it was made out of cinder block, so I wasn't breaking anything) and see how many times in a row I could catch it. It was a good thinking/alone time activity, and doing it for such a long time made me develop really fast catching reflexes. When it comes to sports in general, I would say that I'm... adequate. But, yes, the INFJ aloofness does get the better of me, which frustrates any Ss that I might be playing with.

I think that my most notable experiences with Se would be in regards to sexuality. For as long as I can remember, it's been my Achilles' Heel, and it's gotten me into trouble in the past (particularly when I was going through depression and attempting to use Se to get away from my poisoned Ni). When it comes to things of the sexual/sensual variety, I feel them very, very strongly. As I said, it's always been a thing in my life, but I'm still hoping that it will ease with age at least somewhat.

·
Registered
149 Posts
So, fellow Ni-doms (INTJs are more than welcome here, too), I was wondering how you tend to experience Se and if you have any Se-related accomplishments or circumstances where you became more acutely aware of using that function in particular.
When I become aware of using Se, I usually suffer and things are ugly I may be eating a lot, has got a horrible temper, constantly impatient, hyper-aware of my looks (suddenly I'm UGLY), can't stand majority of texture of clothing, temperature isn't right, sounds are annoying, bad smells and plenty of other ugly feelings which I can't explain to anyone.

Good things: I can dance. My drawings get better, the pencil suddenly comes alive. I love that feeling!

BUT if I decide to use a medium, I always make a bloody mess. There are two canvas boards somewhere in the garage giving evidence to my "adventurous" Se.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Se for me is related to focus and being present in the moment. It's not easy, but the older I get, the smoother the access to Se. Meditation helps the most, I think. Everything changed for me once I started meditating regularly.

I played sports growing up (tennis, soccer, track) and was generally pretty active, so had more opportunity to develop Se. However, I can still veg out with the best of them. Guilt and shame about being lazy is stupid to me. If you enjoy it, it was time well spent. Of course, moderation is advised.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts