Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I discovered I'm pretty intuitive. But I can't tell whether this is a gift or a curse. I have trouble listening to my intuitive "gut feeling" about people or situations. I get this false sense of hope and tell myself "No, you're wrong, things will be different this time. Stop thinking it will turn out bad." Or "This person isn't manipulating me, I am just being paranoid" But 98% of the time..... My gut feeling is validated and my self talk has been proven wrong.

I seem to tell myself I am just guilty of self-fulfilling prophecies, but I think this is just my crazy self talk again. I am just so tired of being right with my predictions of things from the beginning, but following through with them anyways hoping I'm wrong. But I am never wrong.

Why is it so hard for me to listen to myself? Do any other INFJs have this issue as well?
Is there some something I can work on to help build the confidence that I need to listen to myself, or whatever it is I may be lacking in this case? I sometimes think it's my (slightly selfish) desire for something good in life, that I'll ignore what my mind/body is telling me

·
Registered
930 Posts
Hi oldsOul-
A good tip that someone once gave me is to take in what your intuition is telling you & then look for cues in the environment/ person's behavior to back up whay your intuition is telling you. This seems to be working for me. What used to trip me up is my intuition would be trying to tell me something and then I would feel guilty that perhaps I was being too quick to judge or judging someone without facts (and boy do I hate being on the receiving end of that), and then get burned because I let my guard down. Now, providing there is no real danger involved, what I try to do is if I get a vibe about a situation or a person, I just try to sit with it and see how it plays out while taking care not to let myself be vulnerable or trying to convince others about my gut feeling (putting energy into trying to convince people who just don't get it usually has been wasted energy in my experience). I just give it time and space while being protective of myself at the same time. So then if I am correct, I know in my own mind that my intuition was spot on, but I am not dismissing people automatically without getting to know them first, nor am I putting myself in harms way by being too trusting or open before getting to know them. Seems to be working pretty well. Hope that helps & good luck

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I used to have the same problem

My solution is a balance of thinking logically versus following my intuition

My intuition feeds me raw data and I use my thinking to analyze it

Sounds weird, but that's the best way I can explain it, other than simply saying 'trust yourself'

·
Registered
802 Posts
I agree with the previous two posts. I also doubt myself a lot, but especially doubt my intuition. If I can't see evidence, then I don't want to make decisions based only on a feeling. But what I've found is that often there is evidence to back up my feelings. I'm still learning to be more observant about my surroundings and to learn to recognize evidence when I see it, but with practice I'm getting better, and I'm sure you will, too.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
I love our intuition. I use it whenever I can in sports, competitions, or games.

The trick is to know what you need to do... without actually knowing it. Thinking is the enemy of intuition. It causes you to second guess yourself. You need to "feel" your path.

Intuition can only be utilized by not hesitating, and not thinking. The longer you wait, the longer your pure intuition is cloude by doubts and rationalizations.

Intuition comes as a rhythm. And unless you give yourself to that rhythm... the oppertunity will slip away.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
somebody needs a STUBBORNESS INJECTION!!!! :p

now for real...you need to develop your I, as someone else already said, its very good to keep a good balance between rational thinking and intuition...first try guessing how easy things will go...I mean easily predictable things, I know it sounds crazy but you will develop your intuition that way

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I love our intuition. I use it whenever I can in sports, competitions, or games.

The trick is to know what you need to do... without actually knowing it. Thinking is the enemy of intuition. It causes you to second guess yourself. You need to "feel" your path.

Intuition can only be utilized by not hesitating, and not thinking. The longer you wait, the longer your pure intuition is cloude by doubts and rationalizations.

Intuition comes as a rhythm. And unless you give yourself to that rhythm... the oppertunity will slip away.
Wow, your post was spot on.

When I was first starting to take the dive into trusting my intuition I discovered that I had to wait to tell people about my hunches until they had been realized. It is hard enough for INFJs to trust it to begin with let alone someone who does not have it as thier main function and the pressure of our Ti reminding us of what others would say if we were to tell them is bad enough. I basically started conducting my own secret experiments where I would see Ni and then watch, wait and remember to not get hard on myself when I saw things things that discuraged it from turning out to be true. I would simply take them in as info not, as abosolutes.

After a while I started seeing things happen that I had wanted to happen. Now I have been experimenting with willing/working with Ni to make the things I see with Ni work to my or someone I am trying to help's advantage. It often feels much like a prayer or projected love when I am taking action. I will often feel like I am majorly connecting with them and communicating with them on an extremely deep level. I sit back and watch all the extroverted things happen and play along with them all while waiting for the perfect times to act in accordance with my will/work. Ir feels alot like a dance. My life feels so much more rich, purposeful, and less lonely. I have gained alot of confidence by doing this. It is all about the loved ones. After all we are called the protectors for a reason aren't we? :tongue:

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Listen to what Yoda says in "The Empire Strikes Back." :laughing:

But really, he does say some good, wise things on this topic. :happy:

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
After a while I started seeing things happen that I had wanted to happen. Now I have been experimenting with willing/working with Ni to make the things I see with Ni work to my or someone I am trying to help's advantage. It often feels much like a prayer or projected love when I am taking action. I will often feel like I am majorly connecting with them and communicating with them on an extremely deep level. I sit back and watch all the extroverted things happen and play along with them all while waiting for the perfect times to act in accordance with my will/work. Ir feels alot like a dance. My life feels so much more rich, purposeful, and less lonely. I have gained alot of confidence by doing this. It is all about the loved ones. After all we are called the protectors for a reason aren't we? :tongue:
It's so nice... to watch quietly... and then say that little sentence... or do that little act, which changes everything around you.

Maybe you are at work and you convince everyone to stop picking on the office-loser. Maybe two people are on the verge of a fight and you stop it with just a few words, or a joke. From what I've noticed.... people generally don't fight around me. I haven't seen two people fight (outside of Martial arts sparring) in years... because I tend to balance out a room when I am there.

People generally take my opinion very seriously. And my key-phrase has become "Just trust me"... because so often, I don't have the words to describe why I like a particular course of action.

It's unfortunate though... my intuition guides me through so many things... but my intuition is worse with women. I think it's because emotions cloud our insight.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
It's so nice... to watch quietly... and then say that little sentence... or do that little act, which changes everything around you.

Maybe you are at work and you convince everyone to stop picking on the office-loser. Maybe two people are on the verge of a fight and you stop it with just a few words, or a joke. From what I've noticed.... people generally don't fight around me. I haven't seen two people fight (outside of Martial arts sparring) in years... because I tend to balance out a room when I am there.
Its my little secret game. People have no idea that I am actually hard at work while in social situations. They think I am just being shy or something. Its cool though not everyone is cut out for this kind of work and it is better that they just relax and reap the rewards. I reap the rewards of there social work too though. They plan the events, invite me and work to get all the people there by calling them (something I have a strong aversion to). They also keep the chit chat going when I am at a loss of something productive to say.

It's unfortunate though... my intuition guides me through so many things... but my intuition is worse with women. I think it's because emotions cloud our insight.
Ugh, this is true. Romantic stuff is a hole nother ball game. It is a big jumble of emotions that I cannot step back from. This is why I think trust in a relationship is so important to us.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this is kind of off topic... But does anyone know the best way to get intune with your intuition? Separate it from all your other thoughts and be able to identify it and work with it? Is it just one of those things where one needs to let go of all attachments to parts of reality and instead accept reality for a whole and open yourself up to it and become intune with how you interact with it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts