Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
Some of us are old enough to remember what things were like before the interwebs.

Are we better for it? Or slightly unprepared to handle these changes in a mature way?
Those are excellent questions, so I'm going to forego making a joke about techno music.

My opinion is that there's really no way to measure that. I think that ultimately there is nothing either inherently good or bad about a tool, it is a question of its use. I would say we are completely unprepared, but that is because there's no way to anticipate how millions of people will react to anything.

·
Registered
INTP
7,037 Posts
Surely they said the same of all new major technologies.

Radio transmission must have been huge when was first made accessible to the masses with wireless sets and all that.

The rise of the newspaper printing press will have opened up world of news to people.

Motorcars almost literally broadened our horizons. As did air travel.

Guns made it more efficient to settle disputes. Now we have nukes and the worst disputes don't even happen.

But to me, all those things are just part and parcel of what I consider to be 'the world'. The internet became a 'thing' when I was about 14 (although it didn't become a 'huge thing' until I was maybe 18ish). I think it's now just another part of what humans consider to be 'the world'.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Don't be afraid of techno. I know that new, strange things can seem inferior to the way that things used to be, but the music industry is growing and with it will come more advanced forms of audio entertainment. First techno, then dubstep -- you need to come to terms with these things before the next big breakthrough in electronic instrumental.

Those are excellent questions, so I'm going to forego making a joke about techno music.
I wasn't strong enough.

I'm not old enough to really remember what it was like before all of this technological advancement, in that I do remember what it was like but I wasn't really old enough at the time to understand what was going on. I was born in '91, though, so I do remember what it was like before smartphones, before computers were really a popular thing, before instant messaging and all that.

I'm strange compared to the rest of my generation in that I'm not all too fond of any of that. I hate texting, I hate talking on the phone, I don't keep up with social media. I hate the idea that privacy is vanishing and that no matter where I am or what I'm doing someone can always interrupt me. You can get rid of your phone but then you deal with the social backlash of, "WHERE WERE YOU??? I TEXTED YOU YOU DIDN'T RESPOND."

I'm sort of glad that I was never used to life without these advancements because I'm sure I'd be more annoyed than I already am. When you start receiving social invitations on Facebook instead of in person I think that's a problem.

As for whether or not people older than myself are better for it, I think that depends on how they view it and how they use it. On one hand I think you could have an appreciation for more traditional forms of communication but on the other hand you can't ignore that learning how to use the technology of today could give you more opportunities, both entertainment wise, social wise, or career wise.

I thought I might add something constructive as long as I came in here to make a funny.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Mature enough?!?! Are you kidding!? Bring on the sexbots!!! (I haven't quite made up my mind yet but I've got it narrowed down to either Betty Page or Betty Rubble once these hit the market...I may have to get both.)

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Well, of course, you have set up a four-box diagram here, with categories Well-Equipped-Unequipped and Valuing-Devaluing. So you get well-equipped valuers,well-equipped devaluers, and so on.

It's not as if an category is superior all the way around. Well-equipped valuers can be a bit overzealous about how in tune they are with the new. Well-equipped devaluers are good at criticizing, but don't keep up with the times, which hurts their bottom line. Unequipped Valuers are your enthusiasts who might spread bad information around. Unequipped Devaluers are buckets of "fuck this, fuck that, I don't understand that, fuck you."

And of course there are many,many sorts of people besides the examples I gave who could fit in the buckets. So that's my answer:there are different sorts of people, and yes, age is a factor, but it can be a good or a bad factor.

·
Not a Robot
2,152 Posts
I think that like with everything, there are those who will adjust well and become better when new tools are introduced, and there are those who won't. I still don't think the internet has realized its fullest potential. It will be interesting to see how people adjust as it grows.

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
I still don't think the internet has realized its fullest potential. It will be interesting to see how people adjust as it grows.
I agree, and I don't think it ever will, due to the burgeoning regulatory influence and corporate incentive to keep the Internet shackled. Ultimately, I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing that it will never reach its full potential because powerful tools make powerful weapons. Stuxnet targeted a nuclear reactor. So, yeah, I kind of shudder to think what exciting new way they'll think of next to use the Internet.

·
Not a Robot
2,152 Posts
I agree, and I don't think it ever will, due to the burgeoning regulatory influence and corporate incentive to keep the Internet shackled. Ultimately, I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing that it will never reach its full potential because powerful tools make powerful weapons. Stuxnet targeted a nuclear reactor. So, yeah, I kind of shudder to think what exciting new way they'll think of next to use the Internet.
All true. And still, whatever horrible thing they think of, it will probably be really interesting. If we aren't too dead to be interested.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts