Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in my final year of high school and I am in the common dilemma on what career pathway to choose from. I know what my passion is and that is writing and music. But there are no real jobs in that. That is something I have to work on in the meanwhile while I do something else. The problem is that my interests vary a lot. I was thinking of majoring in Literature, History but I am also considering I.T and Science degrees. I enjoy everything but I need that one thing I know I can build a career on. I wish to really succeed in being a writer or some field in music but like I said there is no real stable career from that. Like you need to do that on your own and at your own pace. I want to know how to go about choosing a career pathway that will bring some kind of satisfaction and stability. What did you consider when choosing? I am not very interested in what career will bring me more dough but what will make me happy down the track. I would be more interested in research based careers. I am not the 9-5 daily job type. If it helps the subjects I am taking in my final year are: English, Further Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and the year before I did I.T: Applications.

So, how would you go about choosing? I think anything I choose should allow me to leave my footprint on this world and bring benefit for myself and others. I know it sounds egotistical but I am more interested in being part of creating something that will give birth to the word. That is why I considered I.T and Science namely the field bionics. I am scared of not being sure when I enter University. I don't want to play around by jumping around courses. How was it when you were in my position? What do you think are the Do's and the Don'ts?

Thank-you!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Do's
1. Select the degree which will put you in the most ideal workplace.
2. Try to figure out how your passion will be able to coincide with your degree.
3. Always make a list of what job is in demand in your country, and see if it's one of your choices.

Don'ts
1. Select a course that will be too challenging for you, or does not really appeal to you in any way.
2. Make anyone else decide for you, it's not their life, it's yours.
3. Hesitate in considering any courses that might give you a spark of interest.

Well when I'm on my crossroad at selecting which degree to take at college. I considered the fact that I'm good at analyzing problems and flaws, and making a solution to work on them , therefore I can say that my passion is problem solving.

I also considered which course is also "in demand" on a yearly basis.

I've also considered my interest which are the human behavior, languages and video games.

So my choices that I wrote when I was taking the entrance exam in college were...

1st: BS Psychology

2nd: BS Information Technology - My reason I chose I.T. for my second choice, because it's always in demand, and also I want to design my own game :p

3rd: AB Mass communication - Learning languages are one of my past time hobbies.

I fancied I.T. but typing and encoding all day doesn't really appeal to me, and may not be fulfilling even though I may earn alot.

Mass communication is nice but is it really what I want? nah.

Psychology is what I chose, considering the wide variety of job opportunities, it also has something to do with people; Interacting with them all the while helping them in some way, sounds fulfilling enough for me.

Your passion isn't bad, also why not use I.T. into good use and let it help you in writing and music, at the same time make a program that will help people with the same passion as yours. Who knows, you might actually make a big footprint in the world that will give benefit to others.

and, like you said

I know what my passion is and that is writing and music. But there are no real jobs in that.
make opportunities for your passion, it will guide you through many things actually.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
For selecting which university and program to take, I picked which gave me more money in the form of scholarships as I was the kind of student to win awards and get recognized that way. I had a couple of biochemistry choices and a Math/Computer Science as my 3 choices when I graduated in 1993. I took the one offering better scholarships and thus began my journey. I ended up changing my second major and type of program as some things didn't quite work out as planned. My final degree: Combined Double Honor's Bachelor of Mathematics with majors in Computer Science and Combinatorics & Optimization.

While I've worked in Web Development for the last 15 years, I'm not sure that many people would have predicted the Web taking off in the late 1990s after the Web had just started in 1991.

Do:
Be aware of what strengths you have to help you get a degree.
Take some courses for fun and some that may challenge you in some way.
Consider that the job you end up with may not be that common when you start.
Consider what skills you develop in getting your degree and how these may be useful in various roles.
Accept the curve-balls of life that may well happen.

Don't:
Think you only have one chance at this. You may change your mind and that is OK!

·
Registered
36 Posts
As a fellow INFP, I can identify with changing the course so often and having too many different goals.

When I was your age, I didn't even have the slightest idea about personality and career management. Back then, I wanted to do something to help others, to make this world better, to do something with a lot of humane values, etc...So I decided to pursue Environmental Engineering. You know, studying something to help the environment just naturally makes sense for INFPs :laughing:

I have to admit that during those 4 years, I did not enjoy the course much. I took more GEs and sometimes found those much more exciting than the core courses. Since I did not enjoy the course much, the gpa was not so good either. It was a difficult time looking for job back then with a not so stellar academic record :dry:

For the time being, I will continue working, doing mundane things to survive before figuring out what I enjoy doing most. I'm doing some research on counselor, psychotherapy and social work. Once I can figure that out, I don't mind going back to school for another degree in Psychology ( if possible). Well I might start late, but better late than never.

What I can suggest is:
1. Visit a really good career counselor (or may be some wise men) to determine your strength, personality, society trend, etc...( I did not find the coaches in my school useful at all to be honest hahaha)
2. The most suitable career, as a coach told me recently, is the one that you really like, the one that your personality is highly suitable for and the one that society needs. This is important because INFP changes his mind in one instant frequently. But INFPs need to do mundane jobs to survive as well.

You are still very very young so don't get discouraged. Everything will be all right even that's not exactly what you plan at first.

·
Banned
122 Posts
I am in my final year of high school and I am in the common dilemma on what career pathway to choose from. I know what my passion is and that is writing and music. But there are no real jobs in that. That is something I have to work on in the meanwhile while I do something else. The problem is that my interests vary a lot. I was thinking of majoring in Literature, History but I am also considering I.T and Science degrees. I enjoy everything but I need that one thing I know I can build a career on. I wish to really succeed in being a writer or some field in music but like I said there is no real stable career from that. Like you need to do that on your own and at your own pace. I want to know how to go about choosing a career pathway that will bring some kind of satisfaction and stability. What did you consider when choosing? I am not very interested in what career will bring me more dough but what will make me happy down the track. I would be more interested in research based careers. I am not the 9-5 daily job type. If it helps the subjects I am taking in my final year are: English, Further Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and the year before I did I.T: Applications.

So, how would you go about choosing? I think anything I choose should allow me to leave my footprint on this world and bring benefit for myself and others. I know it sounds egotistical but I am more interested in being part of creating something that will give birth to the word. That is why I considered I.T and Science namely the field bionics. I am scared of not being sure when I enter University. I don't want to play around by jumping around courses. How was it when you were in my position? What do you think are the Do's and the Don'ts?

Thank-you!

Try to get an intership

1 - 5 of 5 Posts