Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want this thread to be a thread where we discuss meaningful presents to give INFJs'.

So I start off by telling my case.

I have an INFJ friend wich has his birthday coming up soon. And I was thinking of buying him a painting wich has a meaningful message/ symbol in it, that only we two can understand.

But paintings is very hard, both to give and also to hang up on the wall if you dont like it.
So meaningful but also a bit playful and funny would be a perfect gift I think.

So...

What can a present thats also shows appreciation to a good friend be?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How big is the painting? Does it come in poster form? Cause if it does you could get a different size, and posters can be rolled up/stored and moved around easier than paintings.

It sounds like a great gift for an INFJ.
Its a reproduction of a painting wich I will get a frame to, and its normal sized.
Do you have any other suggestions on gifts by any chance?

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Décor can be a bit more complicated as a gift as most people are anally retentive regarding how they style their home. You can usually get away with smaller items, partly because they can be tucked away or are just generally not so prominently on display, but larger items, like what you may be talking about, are usually either hit or miss.

That said, what I'd regard as one of the best gifts I've ever given was actually a large painting for a girl I was dating -- she LOVED it. Probably still does even though we broke up, it was that good :p.

So if you have a strong gut feeling and you genuinely believe what it symbolizes to you may also hold significant meaning for them as well, then just go for it. High risk, high reward.

Wish I had some other ideas for you to mull over, but I'm kind of brain dead right now. Good luck with whatever you decide, I could use a considerate friend like you in my corner.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I love Urban Outfitters' photo tapestry. Search - Urban Outfitters

I bought 3 to reward myself. "Moonbean" is in my living room behind my entertainment unit. "Purple Mountain" is on my dining room wall. "Country Gate" I use it as my headboard in my bedroom. I have "Paris Window View" and "Pacific Coast Highway" in my wish bin but I run out of wall space for them (unless I rotate them).

I love how they give me a sense of outdoor when I am indoor. INFJs many are homebodies. These outdoor scene tapestries are great for an introvert.

Personally I am particular about things therefore I'd rather buy stuff I want. Books, clothing, accessories, jewelries, prints are too hard to choose well. Some people have a knack at matching a gift with the recipient by observing what he or she uses or sets up the living space. If you don't have this knack, stay away from gifts too personal.

Over the years one of my BFFs had gifted me with clothing items she loved. It's hard to say to her that I don't wear LL Bean style or anything that makes me look like a soccer mom. ;-)

Mostly I'd tell ppl that gift certs are perfectly fine. It's the thought that counts.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I didn't think I'd be able to add here but I find it funny that I am the opposite of what @chanteuse wrote. I don't like practical gifts if the person knows my interests and hobbies. So if someone knows me, a good gift could range from concert tickets to a wall hanging, it just would relate to something I like or something we did together, i.e. personalized / personal.

I like little home tchotchkes as well. That might change if our home gets over cluttered with them though. Who knows. For now, a cute fridge magnet makes me smile.

Your painting idea sounds great to me.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
A door. To walk through!

:D

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
If someone insists on giving me something, I prefer practical stuff like water purifier, rice cooker, blender, vacuum cleaner, a vacation, gift certs etc.. I honestly don't mind practical gifts I can use. I actually don't like decorating gifts that only collect dust over time because my place is quite full of the small decor items I was given over the decades by friends and family members. I feel bad to donate them.
Which reminds me, I need a telescope. It's practical, sure, but it allows me to dream and fills my 5th wing needs.

Realistically speaking, I generally take care of my stuff I need. I want stuff that means something to me or to our relationship. That's why I plan in advance my gifts to others, and I cannot give out "generic presents". And I hate to receive generic presents. Stick to something symbolic and cheap. Or buy me a treat, let's go drink something, tickets to a show, that's better than some stupid gift I'll keep stored somewhere without ever using it.

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
I think it depends on the individual (as opposed to type). For me, my fav gifts were a membership to a fav place and another was a book of poems (but all the effort that went into it was what got me). But if an infj isn't into poetry and is more into paintings, then the painting is the way to go. I like paintings too but I find things like art work, jewelry or music to be very personal so it depends on how well you know them .

·
Registered
149 Posts
I like gifts that has some kind of an emotional value. Like handmade jewelry (don't like to wear them much but I treasure such gifts.) I love when my students give me handmade thank you cards/birthday cards. Even when I give gifts, there is a personal touch to them. I sometimes present paintings which are my own.

What I don't like is expensive gifts. I don't know (honestly) how to respond. From my part, I can't put a price for friendship or love. That's how I give and that's how I'd like to receive.

No books! I read a lot but I also want to select my reading. Books are the worst gifts one can give me. Unless that person knows exactly what I've been searching for.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love meaningful gifts where the symbolism isn't immediately obvious:)

As as to the gift idea, what does their place look like? Can you get an idea of their style from how it is currently decorated? Is the color scheme of the painting going to fit in a particular room?
First I want to point out that the quote you have by Victor Hugo, is the best thing I have read in long time. So thanks for putting his words out here!

Also a big thank you for your advice! :)

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
First I want to point out that the quote you have by Victor Hugo, is the best thing I have read in long time. So thanks for putting his words out here! Also a big thank you for your advice! :)
Aww I'm glad you love the quote. It really spoke to me, so no surprise it would do the same to another INFJ! :kitteh:
What do you guys think of an exclusive shaving set? My friend is really about suiting up and stuff, so I think he would see it as a booster.
I love the sets with the old style straight razor! We don't have any Art of Shaving stores nearby, so when I'm out of town, I love wandering around in them, smelling the gorgeous, musky scents of the creams and the leather strops.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
The painting sounds like a great idea. Honestly, you're a fellow NF so my advice is to just follow your intuition. It also sounds like you're close friends with this person so sounds like you know what you're doing.

·
Registered
24,382 Posts
How adverse are you to the idea of showing up somewhere publicly with an oversized or tailored to fit trench coat wearing only provocative undergarments underneath?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts