15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello ENFPs and ENFP experienced

What are your opinions on ENFP in romance and relationships

-How do i show my love to them
-How do they show their love
-How can i tell if they have feelings
-How do i tell if they are getting bored or become less interested
-Do their relationships last long, do they take it seriously and try to make it work
-What do they think of marriage
-What would drive them to propose
-Are they clingy
-Do they like a clingy partner
-If there is something bothering them in their relationship will they talk about it with their partner
-What makes them happy
-What makes them tick
-What turns them off
etc etc etc

Anything is helpful, im very curious ESTP

thank you in advance for replying *takes off hat and curtsy bows*

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
I'm an INFJ. I have ENFP friends. I hope you get more qualified responses soon - - but because I haven't seen any yet - here ya go (all just mho)

How do i show my love to them: compliments, affection, gifts, service, any attention you can

-How do they show their love: service, affection, compliments, 'checking in on you'

-How can i tell if they have feelings: they get hyper around you, they try to 'crack your shell', or they get 'shy around you'

-How do i tell if they are getting bored or become less interested: they become busy, busy, busy/unavailable

-Do their relationships last long, do they take it seriously and try to make it work: They are die-hard idealists and can't ever really leave relationships (usually), they are known to come back after break-ups too

-What do they think of marriage: those I know believe in it very deeply

-What would drive them to propose: ready to dive into forever with you/you've talked about it together and both feel you're ready

-Are they clingy: when they're sad, or insecure or scared you're losing interest - yes

-Do they like a clingy partner: probably not

-If there is something bothering them in their relationship will they talk about it with their partner: they will think they have already talked about it, but will tell their friends way more than their partner thinking the partner 'should just know what they meant' - -

-What makes them happy: laughing, kissing, being the center of attention, making others happy

-What makes them tick: feeling important, feeling noticed, engaging other people and being able to tell those people like them, sharing their heart and getting others to do the same, championing a good cause

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Words, lots and lots of words but action following through with the words that one says. Talk to us and show genuine interest in us.
Well I can't speak for all ENFPs so I'll write it from my perspective...We show love by spending time with you, giving our all...I guess I don't know how to describe it but we usually show our love through actions.
We'll usually be quite obvious we'll like to be around you joke around want to talk to you all the time xD
We will pretty much not say it but we'll try to avoid you more and more as you might try to grasp on to us we will usually become more unavailable and try to be antisocial (or at least I would) we'd be nice about it but make excuses xD
-Do their relationships last long, do they take it seriously and try to make it work
I believe our relationships last long as we're not ones to just go into a relationship for the hell of it. We will do everything in our power to make a relationship work even if it's not worth it. We're definitely people who will stick through thick and thin
Marriage is personally to me one of the most sacred bonds one could have. I want to get married once in my life without any divorce I want to be with someone I will truly see myself living with for the rest of my life. I view marriage as a very serious topic and I believe in it deeply.
When we feel we're ready and we know that you want it to although I'd want the guy to propose I'd definitely hint at it xD or get him to know somehow xD but definitely when we know you're the "one" we would
-Are they clingy
I don't think I am however only when I'm upset or I feel like I have nothing more to hold on to about a person. But usually I'm anything but clingy as I don't like clinginess in even a partner
Nope not at all we like our personal space...we're one of the types that needs our time alone and we need our space to just figure out things on our own.
-If there is something bothering them in their relationship will they talk about it with their partner
Definitely although I'd ask around from friends seeing what their take on it is and then try to figure out how to fix whatever's bothering me. But if it's something serious I would talk it out.
-Are they the type to
Hmm we're the type to probably overextend ourselves when we like someone however we're pros at avoiding confrontation and will avoid it at any cost. Whenever there's a problem we'll try to ignore it but I guess when time comes down to the situation needing to be handled we will handle it pretty well xD
-What makes them happy
What makes us happy being the center of attention, making the world a better place, laughing, being spontaneous, being around people we love, daydreaming xD
-What makes them tick
What makes us tick dishonesty, clinginess, not being given enough attention (that's a contradiction but yea xD)
Hope I helped kinda sorta xD

·
Registered
750 Posts
Notice..we are all appreciative of your dashed questions haha. Moving on, here are my early theories on your questions. Remember I can only speak on how I see these questions, everyone's answer may make you worse off then you were before haha. Just wanted to say that!

-How do i show my love to them: Genuine attention to detail regarding your life and what makes you tick and affection
-How do they show their love: Same as above
-How can i tell if they have feelings: Eye contact and touching you
-How do i tell if they are getting bored or become less interested: Diminished responses and void of emotion in conversation
-Do their relationships last long, do they take it seriously and try to make it work: When I make my mark, it is permanent and intended to last forever. I never go into any relationship with a mind frame of temporary. If I like you, I want you in my life as long as you want to be in it.
-What do they think of marriage: I think it is a noble cause, but I have learned not all are worthy of it's cause.
-What would drive them to propose: 100% crazy brave love
-Are they clingy : This is an unhealthy co dependent stereotype..if anyone exhibits this...pass.
-Do they like a clingy partner: No
-If there is something bothering them in their relationship will they talk about it with their partner: If open communication and trust is established, yes it is only natural for me to share my thoughts/feelings on the relationship.
-Are they the type to
-What makes them happy: Laughing, stability, trust, adventure, talk of unknown, freedom of expression
-What makes them tick: curiosity, search for higher calling, noble causes
-What turns them off: soul crushers, narrow mindedness, wasteful living

Reactions: Pucca and syker6

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Be interested in their life, thoughts, feelings, initiate affectionate physical contact, make them laugh, play, be there for them, do not judge them, be loyal
See above
I laugh a lot when I like someone, meaningful eye contact
This is hard for an ENFP to do, when they're really in, they're in, and if they are getting bored they'll find a way to spice things up themselves. If there's a deeper issue that boredom is a secondary consequence of you will be able to tell - the enthusiasm won't be there, their responses will be truncated, "a wall goes up" - an ex :wink:
When mature and healthy, yes to both
Yes, with the right person. No to settling.
Love.
-Are they clingy
Shouldn't be if they're healthy.
Probably not. willing to adapt to different styles of relationships, yes, but clingy by anyone's standards of clingy - not okay.
Yes, but it may take some time for them to process and decide what they want to say. Trust must be there and they must know their partner is open to communicating. It will come out in one way or another.
-Are they the type to
-What makes them happy
Play, laughing, learning/doing new things, lightheartedness with a foundation of stability and trust
-What makes them tick
fun, principles/values, understanding anything and everything, keeping boredom at bay, family/friends, generosity
-What turns them off
closed-mindedness, unkindness/inconsiderateness, fun suckers, superficiality

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
How do i show my love to them?
Attention, attention, attention. When they are around, seem excited and enthusiastic: about them, what they're interested in or talk about, what you're doing together...just be excited and enthusiastic with them.

How do they show their love?
See above.

How can i tell if they have feelings?
This is a very difficult one because ENFP's tend to seem like they have feelings even when they don't. They also tend to have trouble telling if someone has feelings for them.

How do i tell if they are getting bored or become less interested?
You can tell if you don't see them around as much. They tend to gravitate toward their passions and when these change so do their patterns/where they spend their time.

Do their relationships last long, do they take it seriously and try to make it work?
They definitely take relationships seriously and if things work and stay interesting they will make it last. However, if there's something really important to them that's missing in the relationship they might just write the whole thing off and leave the relationship. Some things are non-negotiable to an ENFP, though what these specific things are depend on the particular ENFP.

What do they think of marriage?
I would say that ENFP's tend to be the marrying types but some feel bored and suffocated in marriages, though this depends on the ENFP and the expectations of their partner.

What would drive them to propose?
Only love. ENFP's don't marry for convenience, personal gain, tradition, because it "makes sense", etc.

Are they clingy?

It depends on the ENFP. This varies greatly.

Do they like a clingy partner?

Some can't stand a clingy partner (and tend to find almost every partner clingy). Others love the closeness as long as their partner doesn't seem to lack self esteem (this and other kinds of negativity bring the ENFP down). I guess this really depends on your definition of clingy. Some people think wanting to be really close equals clingy, others think clingy is only when there's an unhealthy dependency. I don't think anyone likes the latter but some people love the former.

If there is something bothering them in their relationship will they talk about it with their partner?

It depends on the ENFP. This varies greatly.

What makes them happy?
Like stated way above: attention and someone matching their excitement and enthusiasm.

What makes them tick?
Feeling unappreciated will get under their skin. So will someone being a buzzkill repeatedly.

What turns them off?
Taking the imagination, fascination, or mystery out of things. ENFP's like having a sense of childlike wonder about things and it's a turn off when someone makes them too practical and unsentimental.

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
How do i show my love to them
Displaying interest in and being respectful of their lives/dreams/interests/past. Being there for them when they're going through a rough time. Saying "I love you."

How do they show their love
Same as above, except we go overboard with it.

How do i tell if they are getting bored or become less interested
Conversation doesn't flow well. Laughter doesn't happen much or is forced. (I'd be careful about assuming disinterest when an ENFP is being flaky/busy. While we do often flake/get busy when we don't particularly like someone, we'll also flake or get busy for other reasons.)

Do their relationships last long, do they take it seriously and try to make it work
Some ENFPs have flings and some don't, but I think it's fair to say that all of us care a lot about having deep, fulfilling connections with people.

Do they like a clingy partner
Ew.

What turns them off
Superficiality, cruelty, and willful ignorance. And boring people.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Holy crap I love the ENFP section. So much to learn about what it means to feel.

So, as an ISTP, i'm fairly distant. Would an ENFP notice that I'm taking time out to pay attention to them? I don't initiate conversation unless its conveinient (ie: break room, smoking area, bus stop), or I have a particular interest in them.
Should I try to convey that?
Is it good to move along quickly? (escalate to sex within a month?)
When should I move on?

I don't have an issue with pursuing a female because I know as a male, it is my responsibility to take a woman but I have a hard time just knowing how to go about the initial stages. Sorry for somewhat derailing the thread.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Holy crap I love the ENFP section. So much to learn about what it means to feel.

So, as an ISTP, i'm fairly distant. Would an ENFP notice that I'm taking time out to pay attention to them? I don't initiate conversation unless its conveinient (ie: break room, smoking area, bus stop), or I have a particular interest in them.
When should I move on?

I don't have an issue with pursuing a female because I know as a male, it is my responsibility to take a woman but I have a hard time just knowing how to go about the initial stages. Sorry for somewhat derailing the thread.
Very simple directions: Make eye contact, smile, keep it short and direct, then ASK! Feel free to read on with the example I have provided below. If not that is cool too.

Here is how I was snagged:

Light banter conversation at a low key pub, I wasn't really paying attention because I thought the attention was on my friend. I laughed at a joke, the next thing you know I hear, "well what are you laughing at?" I look over to the person speaking and I see..smile..stare..and boom I was hit with an ISTP gaze.

The next thing you know I was chit chatting casually and he abruptly says "I want to take you out"....I say, "Yeah right haha" He says, "No I am serious, can I have your number"

The rest you will have to figure out, but we are pretty upfront with everything. Just read her body language and you will quickly figure out what you are dealing with.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts

When should I move on?

RedFraggle answered the initiating question very well :) We're open to getting to know new people, so casual dates aren't too difficult to secure so don't be intimidated! Beyond that I would say no, don't try to move things too quickly. Definitely make sure they know you're interested, but without pressure. If they want to take things farther, they'll let you know, maybe aggressively ;). If you feel they aren't very enthusiastic about seeing you/spending time with you after a while, move on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It has nothing to do with intimidation. It's just identifying that she is interested. I tend to be oblivious, and believe that those making eye contact and smiling are just being polite and engaging you with conversation. It makes it especially difficult if the person is an extrovert because they are always talking and smiling with others.

So frustrating.

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
It has nothing to do with intimidation. It's just identifying that she is interested. I tend to be oblivious, and believe that those making eye contact and smiling are just being polite and engaging you with conversation. It makes it especially difficult if the person is an extrovert because they are always talking and smiling with others.

So frustrating.

A key thing to pay attention to is whether they are giving you either significantly more or significantly less attention than they give to everyone else. Also, if you notice them looking at you from across the room (when they think you're not paying attention).

Actually, a look and a smile from across the room is one of the best ways to flirt. It's "expected" that you'll smile and give eye contact to someone you're actively engaging with, but giving it to someone out of the blue indicates that there's something special about them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A key thing to pay attention to is whether they are giving you either significantly more or significantly less attention than they give to everyone else. Also, if you notice them looking at you from across the room (when they think you're not paying attention).

Actually, a look and a smile from across the room is one of the best ways to flirt. It's "expected" that you'll smile and give eye contact to someone you're actively engaging with, but giving it to someone out of the blue indicates that there's something special about them.
What? Why would someone smile at me out the blue? Isn't that just being polite? People smile at me all the time but I never think anything of it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Someone looking over at you multiple times or for a prolonged period with a smile? They're probably not just being polite.
Probably just something on my face or my eyebrows are uneven.

·
Registered
750 Posts

So frustrating.
You are right, but when I like someone I stay near the one I like the most. Even when I am trying my hardest not to let him know the magnifying affect he has on me, I still gravitate to him. But it would never have happened had he not taken the bold stance that he did and asked me out.

He said he was trying to flirt with me the whole time when he met me. I am aloof and oblivious and think most guys would rather talk to the more obvious hot girls.

Reactions: Pucca

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thats a problem. I won't pursue unless I have a level of certainty. I don't wanna put myself out there just to shot down. I can only deal with these emotions every so often ya'know?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Maybe this why you should make your move, these emotions are shifting you. Come on! So she shoots you down. Come back here and bitch me out if that happens, I can take the blame. I think your instinct is telling you something, just a hunch.

·
Registered
48 Posts
There isn't anyone in mind. Its just for future reference. Most cases I have nothing to talk about.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I see love in a lot of ways so this is always felt if it is meant. In fact, I'm prone to seeing love that might not even really be there!

This varies I think by the individual. I show love by being thoughtful and helpful and there for you. I also like body language and physical closeness. Verbalizing love is really awkward for me actually.

I was going to say this was obvious, but honestly I can avoid actually outwardly showing pain. But then again I can go into a big cryfest. So I would assume we all have feelings. For me, body language often gives them away. I will fidget, turn red, grimace or smile, etc...

I become distracted or resort to "small talk" like the weather or movies etc. I will always TRY to be interested in whatever way I can. So can be difficult to tell.

Serial monogamist here. I put in my ALL to make relationships work. All previous relationships I've had have lasted about a year longer than they should have. Except for my current one. Which I left him (ISTP) and then took him back and we are engaged.

Marriage = commitment. I am far less interested in the ceremony or the wedding part of marriage. I wasn't even interested until my fiance entered my life.

True, passionate love

-Are they clingy
Hmmm depends on what you think is clingy. My ISTP fiance probably still thinks I am clingy. But I can go weeks without seeing eachother (we travel for work). It is around week 4 that I have a rough time. Really, we ENFPs are very independent I think. I like going into my cave and having alone time and doing my thing. I can be extremely introverted at times.

Personally, I have had one and I did not like it. But some may. I liked good conversation and attention - to a point. It is nice to be needed and wanted. But sometimes it is just like - go away! :p

Usually I will. Sometimes I will avoid because I fantasize that the person will react poorly. I think about things really thoroughly before I bring things up. And it is frustrating when it is thought that I am just over-dramatizing and reacting without thought. Nothing I say to my partner is spontaneous when it comes to anything really important.

Usually I will try and solve whatever is bothering me on my own before bringing it up and involving the other person. If it is brought up, it means there is an actual problem for me. Please do not dismiss it! It is so frustrating not to be taken seriously.

-What makes them happy

Love love love. Projects, doing (accomplishing actually) things, peace, nature, beauty. I am actually extremely sensual and love things that I can "feel" the essence of life. Not being nitpicked or criticized. Learning is also fun and exploring and trying new things.

-What makes them tick
For me, it is all about living a life full of love. Expressing love and putting love into everything. That sounds sappy but I really do think that is the essence to me as a human being.

-What turns them off

Competitiveness, criticizing, nitpicking, real prejudice, rules and definitions, sheeple, the "man", no allowance for whys, people who can't take responsibility for their lives and choices, inaction and blame, disregard for intrinsic value in things. Off the top of the head... :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts