Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I really wish I could gather all 12-year-old and 17-year-old xNFPs under my wing and tell them things I really wish someone had shared with me at that age.

Especially in the light of a recent thread about ENFPs "aging like fine wine," I'm curious what words of wisdom you'd share with other ENFPs who aren't as far along as you in that Life Journey business. Or what you wish you could time-travel back and tell a younger version of yourself.

Is there anything you know now that you wish you'd known 5, 10, 20 years ago?

(Apologies if this thread has already existed. I wouldn't know how to search for it.)

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
1) You might feel ridiculously socially awkward right now, but it will get much better as you get older.

2) There are people out there who will understand you and care about the same things that you do.

3) I know you're dying to grow up and be free, but cherish your childhood while you still can.

4) True love exists : )

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@vivacissimamente -- All of those. So true.

12-year-olds: You'll be way less shy one day. People will take you seriously. I know this sounds totally impossible to you now, but seriously, your face will not be covered in acne for your entire life. And even if it were, it's not worth being this upset over. There are more important things in life than being attractive, and you're already a billion times better at those things than the "popular kids" are anyway. Never be ashamed of being a peculiar, imaginative kid with weird interests. Peculiar, imaginative kids with weird interests are the best.

17-year-olds: So you love someone and they're smart and they're a good person -- that doesn't mean they're always right. If you really feel in your core that you're right about something, you probably are. Sure, be polite and tactful, but don't be afraid to stick up for your unpopular opinions, don't try to live someone else's dream, and don't let people tell you your life choices are naive and stupid if they're not harming anyone and you know they're right for you. You're smarter than you give yourself credit for.

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
1. Take care of yourself, and not just others.
2. Don't let others discourage you; stay true to yourself.
3. Be respectful even when being disrespected.
4. Defy the odds.
5. Don't give assholes a second thought.
6. Keep laughing no matter what.
7. Make sure you're receiving as well as giving.
8. Don't become a crutch for others.
9. Fart in public... I guarantee it'll supply you with unforgettable memories.

And last, but certainly not least:

10. Stick it to tha man.

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
Lol @Ace Face

Stop procrastinating and get yourself organized before it seriously bites you in the ass. Wait and see if that guy/girl actually has the qualities you've projected onto him/her before you become emotionally tangled. Think about project based careers. And don't over think everything, pick a door and walk through it (you can change your mind later - and you most likely will).

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
Ooh, also, make a list of the 100 things you want to experience in your life (short and long term goals) and start checking them off. Don't make them all too lofty like climbing Mount Everest. They can be things like trying out for a play, downhill skiing, skinny dipping, learning the guitar and writing a song, jumping off the high dive, doing a spoken work performance, wading in a public fountain, learning how to use a pottery wheel, white water rafting, writing a play etc...

Keep the list and revisit it and add/subtract. You'll be amazed at how many things you actually accomplish in terms of adventure and learning new skills. Everyone else can specialize, we live for new experiences.

·
His Majesty
12,625 Posts
Remember:Many kids your age aren't mature enough to handle you. So just wait it out until you become an adult. Once adulthood comes.... You will be irresistible.

It's okay to be affectionate.

REAL men are tender towards others.

Don't be too afraid to speak up for yourself. But do it graciously.

It's cool to have friends older than you ;)

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@The King Of Dreams So true. Got involved with a community radio station when I was sixteen. Befriending people in their 20s-40s really changed my outlook on life for the better. I finally knew people who could talk intelligently about things I cared about. Even now, I hang out with a lot of people twice my age.

·
His Majesty
12,625 Posts
@The King Of Dreams So true. Got involved with a community radio station when I was sixteen. Befriending people in their 20s-40s really changed my outlook on life for the better. I finally knew people who could talk intelligently about things I cared about. Even now, I hang out with a lot of people twice my age.
Thanks a lot. And it's true. One of my besties is 74 (INFJ) and we've been friends since I was 12! So it's true what they say about us. We can mature very early.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
-Don't shy away from adults; there is likely an adult NF that you know who can provide you wonderful advice for learning to thrive in a heavily ST/NT environment and helping you build self-confidence.

-Consider all advice before rejecting it. What seems like a stupid idea could really benefit you in the long run.

-Find the value in 'constructive criticism'.

-Live, laugh, love. Screw what other people think of you. Embrace who you are and have fun!

-Recognize that organization and hard work will help you reach those crazy dreams; find a way to organize that works for you though.

-Don't jump in relationships too fast; learn how to use Se with people and recognize patterns they exhibit... this can save your ass from getting taken advantage of and/or hurt. This can also help you see the friends you don't think about when you are lonely.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Focus more on how you perceive yourself rather that how others perceive you. It's not the end of the world if everyone doesn't approve of you. Learn to laugh at yourself, and i mean often. Don't take your life or thoughts so seriously. If you make mistakes, its o.k. Accept we are all flawed. Don't hold back your ideas because you feel others won't understand and relate. Scream them out to the world, someone will eventually listen ;) Don't ever hold back on your dreams and goals. If you believe it, you can make it a reality. Travel if you can. Pick and choose who you trust, carefully. Don't dismiss your Ne, especially if its telling you something strongly. Choose to love over hate, but don't be a doormat. Speak your mind, loud and clear. Keep your friends close, enemies closer. Try not to rush into relationships, play the field, date lots, don't settle for anything less than you deserve. Don't take life or people for granted. Build lasting friendships, respect your parents-grandparents. Employ yourself as soon as possible. Pay yourself first. People can't make you happy, you have to do this yourself. Find something you're passionate about, stick with it. Visit the poor, it will make you appreciate what you have. Explore, discover, and take crazy wild adventures. Spend time in nature, with animals if you love them. Do simply things that leave lasting memories. Don't believe you need a partner to complete you, people don't complete other people, they're merely an extension of everything you love. Love yourself first and foremost. I have this urge to say wear sunscreen ;) Hah!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Seek God and you will find Him. Seek truth, because the truth will set you free.

God is Love. When you love, you are close to God Who is Love.

God is Merciful. Be Merciful to yourself and to others, and you will be close to the God Who Is.

All if Gift. God puts much goodness in your life. Be thankful and grateful always for all the good. God allows bad too. But He bestows generous graces to help you grow from all the bad. So accept the bad that comes, and know that there are great life lessons in it, especially designed for the deepest needs of your soul. It starts with acceptance though. You will waste much time if you resist. So always accept reality. And at the same time, live in joyful hope.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Don't rush into college because you think it's something you have to do following high school. Take a year or two to figure out a plan and go to college on your own terms. You may decide it's not something you want to do at all, and that's fine - it's not right or necessary for everyone. Waiting gives you a chance to feel in control...if it's just something you feel like you have to do, you'll skip classes when you don't feel like it, forget homework, procrastinate to the end of time....and your grades will suffer. Better to wait and suffer parental annoyance than force it and waste time and money.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts