Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aesthetics (also spelled æsthetics and esthetics) is a branch of philosophy dealing with the nature of art, beauty, and taste, with the creation and appreciation of beauty. It is more scientifically defined as the study of sensory or sensori-emotional values, sometimes called judgments of sentiment and taste. More broadly, scholars in the field define aesthetics as "critical reflection on art, culture and nature."
Lets discuss.

What combination of functions will be more concerned about aesthetics?

In my opinion, there are two aspects of it:
  • your personal, subjective taste, which is probably dictated by introverted function;
  • objective, interpersonal - how you want others to look at you (self image)/your art/etc

In case of the first aspect, I think, everything starts with your Pi and then it goes to Pe for further development.
The second aspect implies an extroverted judging function. For example, if you want your art to be understood by others, you emulate (Fe) people thought process and measure the work objectively, whether others will like it or not (self
Of course, it is not always a good thing, because this way your art might loose some unique traits because you decided that people will not understand it. But many will. Because of the strangeness (remember all the Fi-dom artists)

I think, the important causes of aesthetics are personal preferences (Pi->Pe) and interpersonal reflection (Je). Thus, the most concerned, I my opinion, would be PiFe and FePi

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
I know for a fact that for me, it's Se and Fi that makes me concerned about aesthetics. Ni and Te but Te almost more specifically so, has a mechanical and theoretical approach to understanding the world very far removed from its aesthetic appeals. Te thinks in terms of function, not form.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
My Fe certainly influences my poetry, as I write in a way that allows the reader to connect with it and see the creativity and sense in the poetry. I almost hone it in when it gets too abstract. The annoying thing is that when I write a piece of poetry that is abstract but was very important to me at the time, a few months later I forget how I felt when I was writing it so I can actually struggle to connect and feel like I wasn't really accurately describing my inner thoughts/feelings.

Damn, I have a lot of Fe, I realize I really enjoy putting feelings on things. Looking at the aesthetics of things and personifying them, as if I'm analyzing the body language of the objects and using it to place an emotion on said object. Then I like abstractly connecting them so it all makes sense, like the objects on my desk create a story. Maybe that's Ni-Fe-Ti, I'm not sure though.

So I actually think Ti can develop personal, subjective taste, refining things and developing the precise interpretation to fit a personal story.

·
Banned
660 Posts
It's a combination of Ni and Se for me. I try to emulate my Ni internal images, which is why I'm most attracted to surrealism, as it's the art form closest to what I "see." The entire time, my Se is checking the degree to which that on paper mirrors the internal image I've conceived of. It is created via Te. Extremely technical. I know which pen, pencil, brush, paper, and etc. to use. I know what drawing techniques to use, down how I should hold the utensil at specific points and for specific purposes. I know the rules for each major art movement and even the tendencies of specific artists should I want to mimic them in some way. Basically @ephemereality hit it on the head.

Sense of satisfaction comes from my Fi and I will not post any of my art for the simple fact that nothing I've made has so far managed to satisfy my Fi...the way I'm progressing though that day will come soon.

Reactions: Entropic

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Jung on Si:

A distinction must be made between sensuous, or concrete, and abstract sensation. The former includes the forms above alluded to, whereas the latter designates an abstracted kind of sensation, i.e. a sensation that is separated from other psychological elements. For concrete sensation never appears as 'pure' sensation, but is always mixed up with presentations, feelings, and thoughts. Abstract sensation, on the contrary, represents a differentiated kind of perception which might be termed 'æsthetic' in so far as it follows its own principle and is as equally detached from every admixture of the differences of the perceived object as from the subjective admixture of feeling and thought, thus raising itself to a degree of purity which is never attained by concrete sensation. The concrete sensation of a flower, for instance, transmits not only the perception of the flower itself, but also an image of the stem, leaves, habitat, etc. It is also directly mingled with the feelings of pleasure or dislike which the sight of it provokes, or with the scent-perceptions simultaneously excited, or with thoughts concerning its botanical classification.

Abstract sensation, on the other hand, immediately picks out the most salient sensuous attribute of the flower, as for instance its brilliant redness, and makes it the sole or at least the principal content of consciousness, entirely detached from all the other admixtures alluded to above. Abstract sensation is mainly suited to the artist. Like every abstraction, it is a product of the differentiation of function: hence there is nothing primordial about it. The primordial form of the function is always concrete, i.e. blended (v. Archaism, and Concretism). Concrete sensation as such is a reactive phenomenon, while abstract sensation, like every abstraction, is always linked up with the will, i.e. the element of direction. The will that is directed towards the abstraction of sensation is both the expression and the activity of the æsthetic sensational attitude.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
On the subject of art, I have found a lot of Ni doms like deep, echo-y tones in their music. Personally deeply into drum and bass with such sounds.

Most likely related the most to the perception functions. I have to imagine Fi just responds to the interpretation of the information, as opposed to directly being involved in the process, though my understanding of the function could be incomplete. In an artform, the Ni user would want to project their inner formlessness, which ironically would be translated through extraverted judgment, giving it solidity. I won't dare speak of how an Si user might approach their art for fear of bastardizing the function.

Were I to translate myself into aesthetic, I'd most likely choose interior decorating or something, using a lot of cartoon images and glass. Lots of glass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts