Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently read an article on the affect of blood type on a persons personality. I've been trying to study the validity of this theory in relation to the Myers-Briggs personality types. I'm an female ISTP with a type B blood type, and I have 2 other ISTP friends. One is a female type A, for sure, and I think the other one is a Type O (male). Would anyone else be interested in exploring the differences in ISTPs with different blood types?

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Personally, I do not believe that blood types have any impact on ones Personality development but it's solely environmental. Even twins will not share an identical personality.

I actually don't know my blood type, kind of the useless information I disregard about myself every time I find out. Though, if you're to encounter any validity in your theory I'd certainly be interested in what it is.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Personally I think otherwise, but I have come across a text linking the two. "Overall, even when associations are found between blood type and personality, they tend to be relatively low in magnitude." Even with this though, the supposed personalities associated with specific blood types aren't very specific like MBTI descriptions. A solid link *would be interesting.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
I've recently read an article on the affect of blood type on a persons personality. I've been trying to study the validity of this theory in relation to the Myers-Briggs personality types. I'm an female ISTP with a type B blood type, and I have 2 other ISTP friends. One is a female type A, for sure, and I think the other one is a Type O (male). Would anyone else be interested in exploring the differences in ISTPs with different blood types?
I don't even know what my own blood type is. I think it's red.
Well I did know at one time, but I can't remember what it is now. I think it was B or maybe C, wait a second aren't those vitamins?

There are a total of 30 blood group systems, but only 16 different MBTI types.

I think I'll have a Bloody Mary, I'm sure it will affect my personality.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Calling shenanigans on blood type affecting personality type. To me it is the same as saying one's birth date affecting their personality type; or the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow. :3

also: o+

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are a total of 30 blood group systems, but only 16 different MBTI types.
I was thinking of the 4 major types - A, B, O and AB only.

My A blood type ISTP friend is like the woman that posted on one of the forums that she isn't as active as some of the others of us, so she wonders if she's an ISTP. She likes to be spontaneous, but she isn't the daring, outdoorsie, trying anything at least once type of person. She also doesn't seem to always be offending people with what she says like I do. She's more polite.

My O blood type friend is more competitive. He thrives on extreme type activities. Riding 100 mile bicycle races up mountains and such. Racing dirt bikes competitively. etc.

A few of the differences that I've noticed.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I'm skeptical about the idea.
My blood type is B

Reactions: Ducati_hottie

·
Registered
247 Posts
I don't think blood type has anything to do with personality, but for purposes of data collection, I'm O-negative (universal donor, good to have around in a group of reckless ISTPs :cool:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it is just a theory. or should I say a conspiracy theory. It all started when my dad had a triple-by-pass and a blood transfusion. After he got home my mom swears he was a different person. And I have to agree now that I've been around him daily for 6 months. He's totally different. I've read other experiences as well like this, where people have totally changed after getting a blood-transfusion. Although there's no credibility to any of them. And I'm sure the Industry will make sure there never is. You would going up against some really high stakes. I will probably disappear for even suggesting that there is a link between the blood and a persons personality. I just wish I made my Dad take the MB test before, and then after. But who would have ever thought... I never did... before this happened. I'm sure there's probably a million other explanations. But this is the most logical one I've come up with so far.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Well it is just a theory. or should I say a conspiracy theory. It all started when my dad had a triple-by-pass and a blood transfusion. After he got home my mom swears he was a different person. And I have to agree now that I've been around him daily for 6 months. He's totally different. I've read other experiences as well like this, where people have totally changed after getting a blood-transfusion. Although there's no credibility to any of them. And I'm sure the Industry will make sure there never is. You would going up against some really high stakes. I will probably disappear for even suggesting that there is a link between the blood and a persons personality. I just wish I made my Dad take the MB test before, and then after. But who would have ever thought... I never did... before this happened. I'm sure there's probably a million other explanations. But this is the most logical one I've come up with so far.
When you receive a transfusion of someone else blood, your body doesn't keep it very long, it is still a foreign substance and you body will do its best to eliminate it from your system. Sure, if he was administered blood that had traces of drugs or hormones, he may have experienced a temporary change in personality or behavior because of those chemicals being present.

It was the heart surgery that changed him, not the blood, the heart change is permanent. Your heart is intricately linked to your nervous system. I've also read about people changing after having had a heart transplant.
Research open heart surgery.

·
Registered
247 Posts
My ex father in law changed significantly after his open heart surgery. He talked to his doctors about it and they said it was very common, and to be expected. He also suffered a great deal of memory loss, has almost no short term memory left, went from being a staunch atheist to being very active in the Baptist Church, has weird tantrum episodes... and this is not unusual for heart surgery patients, from what I've read and from what the doctors told my ex FIL.

I've known many people who have had blood transfusions with no change in personality. What AEIOU said - your body doesn't keep the new blood very long, and your blood type doesn't change after a transfusion.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
My INFJ mom: O+
ISTP dad: O-
Me and my siblings (ISTP, ISTJ, INTJ): O+

We're all very different personality-wise, and we essentially share the same blood type.

Reactions: Ducati_hottie

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
My ex father in law changed significantly after his open heart surgery. He talked to his doctors about it and they said it was very common, and to be expected. He also suffered a great deal of memory loss, has almost no short term memory left, went from being a staunch atheist to being very active in the Baptist Church, has weird tantrum episodes... and this is not unusual for heart surgery patients, from what I've read and from what the doctors told my ex FIL.

I've known many people who have had blood transfusions with no change in personality. What AEIOU said - your body doesn't keep the new blood very long, and your blood type doesn't change after a transfusion.
The short term memory loss indicates changes inside his brain. Some damage occurred. A prolonged lack of oxygen to the brain during surgery or possibly some small blood clots traveling to the brain.
Interestingly, brain health often mirrors heart health, because they both need a generous supply of blood to function optimally. If the arteries in your heart are clogged, then so are the arteries in your brain.
I suspect that you already knew that, but what some people don't realize that exercise benefits not only your heart/body, but your brain too.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
^I think it may also be the affect of anesthesia. My step-father had his kidney removed, and his short term memory is crap. The doctors mentioned something about the anesthesia being a factor.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Well, the personality change couldn't have been due to changing to a different blood type. I don't think your blood type changes, even with a transfusion. In fact, except for type AB (universal recipient), people can only receive blood of their birth type or O-.

For example, I'm an A+, so I can only receive type A blood or O- (universal donor).

* Upon 5-second research, I see that it IS possible for blood type to change...but only with bone marrow transplants.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Little to no effect. The japanese do have a theory about it, but all the evidence to the contrary..well, you know. ;)

I don't think our blood type effects our brains too much, we're just caught up in type.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
^I think it may also be the affect of anesthesia. My step-father had his kidney removed, and his short term memory is crap. The doctors mentioned something about the anesthesia being a factor.
Well, you may be right, I don't know. But I would expect the effects of anesthesia to wear off.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Well, you may be right, I don't know. But I would expect the effects of anesthesia to wear off.
I think it is too much exposure to it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts