Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last few weeks I've been feeling somewhat empty and slightly depressed, something which I haven't felt for several months. I think that part of the feeling comes from wanting to get a few things off my chest, so to anyone who reads this; I appreciate it.

My problems started exactly 3 years ago when I moved to a new city to study at a university there. I didn't know anyone there as my old friends from high school either stayed or moved to other cities to study. Back then I wasn't particularly good at socializing and mostly made new friends through the friends I already had. I didn't develop any close friendships during the first few weeks like most people did. To make a long story short I gradually became more isolated, more depressed and more lonely as time went on. I still had some contact with my old friends, but spending month after month alone did a lot of damage to my self-esteem and my life felt very mechanical and heavy. My emotions just seemed to disappear as well, I almost never felt happy, sad, angry or anything at all. I just felt empty.

After 2.5 years however I decided that I had to do something to pull myself back up. I thought a lot about my situation and why my social life had developed so poorly. The last 6 months of my bachelors degree was kind of a turning point for me, as I put my depressing experiences behind me. I worked on my social skills, I regained self esteem and made a couple of new friends.On top of that I also got good enough grades to be admitted into the Master's program that I wanted. The only thing that went well while I was depressed was the actual studies.

So, next week I'll start my Master's Degree program in Economics. It is at a new university(but in the same city) so in one way it feels like a new start. However I am also worried that my social life is going to end up the way it did while I took my Bachelor's degree. This is despite having learned a lot from my experiences over the last 3 years. Right now I'm feeling a bit down and deflated. Maybe it will go over once I get started, but I'm not sure.

So that was a long story I guess, but I've never been able to talk about this before. I guess I had to blow off some steam sooner or later.

Reactions: HandiAce

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
You pulled yourself out of a bad social situation once, you now have the skills you need to do that again if you get back into that situation.

This is the same reason why millionaires can go bankrupt and with a few years become millionaires again...they know how to do it now. That's also why people that win the lottery often go bankrupt - they never learned how to handle money properly on their own.

Try not to worry too much about it, you'll be ok.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Try to avoid thinking negative. Your words on something, and what you think have an impact on what happens.

Reactions: Husgark

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
My girlfriend has been dealing with depression for 11 years, and says the only thing that has helped has been exercise. The only problem is, the depression is fairly deep and causes her great lethargy. Due to this, she doesn't exercise. It's an endless cycle to her, though I try to encourage her in all ways I can.

My suggestion is to exercise if you can, before the depression gets any deeper (and you lose even more energy). I wish you the best of luck!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My girlfriend has been dealing with depression for 11 years, and says the only thing that has helped has been exercise. The only problem is, the depression is fairly deep and causes her great lethargy. Due to this, she doesn't exercise. It's an endless cycle to her, though I try to encourage her in all ways I can.

My suggestion is to exercise if you can, before the depression gets any deeper (and you lose even more energy). I wish you the best of luck!
Exercising helped me a lot when I was recovering from depression in the past. I'm still exercising at least a few times every week, and I definitely won't stop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.