Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Siiiiiigh. I do not know my type. I was hoping to get an outsider's opinion.

About Me:

I have come to the conclusion that I am an introvert. I need my alone time to recharge and think (although I do sometimes feel energized when talking to people... weird. I'M WEIRD). I like being around people, having laughs, good times, etc. But I think that stems from the fact that I have a strong desire to connect with people. For instance, sometimes I'll be on the metro and just have a strong urge to talk to someone. Ironically, it is quite difficult for me to do so. I can become pretty shy and self-conscious and I tend to feel pretty defensive when meeting people. I don't want to give people the chance to hurt me (how cliche). I like to analyze my behavior and past experiences. It takes me a few days (or weeks, months) to digest things and form an opinion. It's hard for me to understand how I feel in the present. I feel that it is easy for me to see multiple sides of a situation, which also makes it hard for me to make definitive judgements. Obviously, I have gut reactions to things and have an opinion about everything, however, I do not like to express it until I know all of the facts. I feel like everything is constantly changing and evolving, including myself (which makes it difficult to pin down a type for myself). I sometimes feel overwhelmed by how much I don't know and understand... I want to understand people and their subsequent relationships to others & the world. I think that I do come off as a thinker a lot of the times and I guess I am.... I do think a lot haha. But I don't really see myself as being totally logical and rational. While I have a tendency to be more on the analytical side (rather than just accepting) and am able to see what is logical and what is not, my actions tend to reflect how I feel. I get stressed and blow up easily. I sometimes think that I don't feel enough sympathy for people. It's something I have struggled with, especially recently. When i really think about it though, I do feel empathy for people. People's struggles really do affect me (I am tearing up right now typing this, thinking about it) and I sometimes have an overwhelming desire to just pick people up and help them. But it's hard for me to express that desire. I think that I sometimes have a lot of feelings but no mode of communication. I daydream a lot... thinking about the future excites me. But at the same time I am a very nostalgic person (Si?), I have a lot of "remember when..." conversations with people. I don't really understand the N/S functions too well. I do know that I am introspective person, although sometimes I think I try to push it away. I don't know, I feel that I have a lot of underlying psychological issues that can distort my perception of what my type could be. I have a lot of dreams, but am kinda lazy... I think this comes from the fact that I can be a perfectionist at times. I want so badly to follow my impulses but I get scared of failing. I'm pretty indecisive about stupid things (should I buy Charmin or Angel Soft toilet paper? Blue or yellow? Hmmm... what a conundrum) but I like to think that when it comes to big decisions (like where to go to college for example), I know what I need. Although, I do think that sometimes I am afraid to follow my heart (esp. with relationships) because I don't want to be wrong. I can be a bitch to people sometimes. I'm quite honest and expect the same from others. But it is because I care and love people that I'm honest. I like to think about what others are thinking/feeling.

Something else: So I'm in the process of choosing a phone and I noticed that I have been making the decision based on logic. What does that say about me? Gahh, but I just don't relate to the T types. Maybe I just dont want to . who da fuck knowz.

Yeah, so I could probably go on forever, but really who would want to read that? I feel that I am quite paradoxical and it takes me a while to get to the "real" me. Sorry for being so self-centered! But please, your feedback would be much appreciated

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Try not to get into too many details about yourself. I struggle with the same.

A good way to determine whether you are an IXFP or IXFJ is what you do for the sake of doing. An IXFJ deep down has a desire to connect to others. Their actions are based around relating to other people, pleasing them, getting a reaction out of them, making sure that when they are ready to talk, they are heard and acknowledged.

IXFPs are more interested in having values, but for their own sake. They don't need to share or impose them on other people. For them, it's more of having their own ethical code to follow. Usually these values are liberal like in politics.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
You are an INFJ my friend, and I am absolutely certain of it.

Reactions: streetlightfancy

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try not to get into too many details about yourself. I struggle with the same.

A good way to determine whether you are an IXFP or IXFJ is what you do for the sake of doing. An IXFJ deep down has a desire to connect to others. Their actions are based around relating to other people, pleasing them, getting a reaction out of them, making sure that when they are ready to talk, they are heard and acknowledged.

IXFPs are more interested in having values, but for their own sake. They don't need to share or impose them on other people. For them, it's more of having their own ethical code to follow. Usually these values are liberal like in politics.
Yeah, I tend to ramble, especially when I'm talking about introspective stuff. I think I naturally use Fe more than Fi, because it is hard for me to really know how I feel sometimes. But I don't see myself as a people pleaser at all, and I have heard that is a very NFJ trait. True?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Yeah, I tend to ramble, especially when I'm talking about introspective stuff. I think I naturally use Fe more than Fi, because it is hard for me to really know how I feel sometimes. But I don't see myself as a people pleaser at all, and I have heard that is a very NFJ trait. True?
People pleasing is an FJ trait, but it can be for any feelers really depending on what you value.

You mention difficulty knowing exactly how you feel. Fi users usually are good at knowing how they feel at any given moment. Perhaps you think so much about pleasing people, but you are aware of how things will/might effect a community and what others will/might think about about certain actions. Consider IXFJ.

As for the S/N part. Are you more reliant on reviewing facts and concrete details or forseeing things through focal points that are not related to the immediate world around you? Try not to think too hard about this one. Usually, INFJs will know that their way of perceiving things is not from reviewing things that actually happened in the real world.

And remember, being a sensor does not mean you are not novel.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As for the S/N part. Are you more reliant on reviewing facts and concrete details or forseeing things through focal points that are not related to the immediate world around you? Try not to think too hard about this one. Usually, INFJs will know that their way of perceiving things is not from reviewing things that actually happened in the real world.
The S/N distinctions are difficult for me to grasp. I review past experiences frequently, however, I am a total daydreamer. It is easy for me to understand how and why people will react (which I think makes me quite realistic - an S trait). I feel like it's hard for me to really discern which function I naturally use more.

·
Registered
782 Posts
you do seem like an INFJ to me. introvert, pretty intuitive, feeler, and the FJ is pretty apparent too..just in terms of what i read in this post. i may be wrong though.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
The S/N distinctions are difficult for me to grasp. I review past experiences frequently, however, I am a total daydreamer. It is easy for me to understand how and why people will react (which I think makes me quite realistic - an S trait). I feel like it's hard for me to really discern which function I naturally use more.
S is facts, N is relations. It being easy to understand how and why people will react is seeing the relationship between behavior and result and making predictions, seeing cause and effect. That's N,... Ni to be more specific.

Most of what you´re writing points at Ni actually. Since you´re obviously an F, that makes you an INFJ.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
thinking a lot of how and why questions is actually an N trait
do you ever look at people and just automatically start thinking why they did this or that? do you frequently experience a need to figure out how something works? would you say that you are curious and rarely bored when by yourself? these are signs of Ni in work, dominant function of INxJ. When Ni is working INxJs tend to drift off a little and so to S's it appears like we are daydreaming but in fact our mind is just analyzing connections between things it perceived, establishing cause-effect relationships. There is nothing unrealistic about it but it will make you disconnect from the now, from the moment periodically & more so than somebody who is an S.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts

About Me:

I have come to the conclusion that I am an introvert. I need my alone time to recharge and think (although I do sometimes feel energized when talking to people... weird. I'M WEIRD). I like being around people, having laughs, good times, etc. But I think that stems from the fact that I have a strong desire to connect with people. For instance, sometimes I'll be on the metro and just have a strong urge to talk to someone. Ironically, it is quite difficult for me to do so. I can become pretty shy and self-conscious and I tend to feel pretty defensive when meeting people. I don't want to give people the chance to hurt me (how cliche). I like to analyze my behavior and past experiences. It takes me a few days (or weeks, months) to digest things and form an opinion. It's hard for me to understand how I feel in the present. I feel that it is easy for me to see multiple sides of a situation, which also makes it hard for me to make definitive judgements. Obviously, I have gut reactions to things and have an opinion about everything, however, I do not like to express it until I know all of the facts. I feel like everything is constantly changing and evolving, including myself (which makes it difficult to pin down a type for myself). I sometimes feel overwhelmed by how much I don't know and understand... I want to understand people and their subsequent relationships to others & the world. I think that I do come off as a thinker a lot of the times and I guess I am.... I do think a lot haha. But I don't really see myself as being totally logical and rational. While I have a tendency to be more on the analytical side (rather than just accepting) and am able to see what is logical and what is not, my actions tend to reflect how I feel. I get stressed and blow up easily. I sometimes think that I don't feel enough sympathy for people. It's something I have struggled with, especially recently. When i really think about it though, I do feel empathy for people. People's struggles really do affect me (I am tearing up right now typing this, thinking about it) and I sometimes have an overwhelming desire to just pick people up and help them. But it's hard for me to express that desire. I think that I sometimes have a lot of feelings but no mode of communication. I daydream a lot... thinking about the future excites me. But at the same time I am a very nostalgic person (Si?), I have a lot of "remember when..." conversations with people. I don't really understand the N/S functions too well. I do know that I am introspective person, although sometimes I think I try to push it away. I don't know, I feel that I have a lot of underlying psychological issues that can distort my perception of what my type could be. I have a lot of dreams, but am kinda lazy... I think this comes from the fact that I can be a perfectionist at times. I want so badly to follow my impulses but I get scared of failing. I'm pretty indecisive about stupid things (should I buy Charmin or Angel Soft toilet paper? Blue or yellow? Hmmm... what a conundrum) but I like to think that when it comes to big decisions (like where to go to college for example), I know what I need. Although, I do think that sometimes I am afraid to follow my heart (esp. with relationships) because I don't want to be wrong. I can be a bitch to people sometimes. I'm quite honest and expect the same from others. But it is because I care and love people that I'm honest. I like to think about what others are thinking/feeling.

Something else: So I'm in the process of choosing a phone and I noticed that I have been making the decision based on logic. What does that say about me? Gahh, but I just don't relate to the T types. Maybe I just dont want to . who da fuck knowz.

Yeah, so I could probably go on forever, but really who would want to read that? I feel that I am quite paradoxical and it takes me a while to get to the "real" me. Sorry for being so self-centered! But please, your feedback would be much appreciated
Thanks everyone. I think I have narrowed it down to INFJ and INFP.
You are an INFJ my friend and I am certain of it. This almost perfectly describes Ni (introverted intuition) which is the lead function of an INFJ. If you were an INFP, then you wouldn't have to gather all of the data, just data from multiple sources. Your intuitive function is more focused and not so scattered and all over the place like Ne (extroverted intution), the fuction that an INFP would use as their secondary function. You use Ni my friend, and there is no question about it. That means that by process of elimination your secondary function is Fe (or extravered feeling). You = INFJ

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Thanks everyone. I think I have narrowed it down to INFJ and INFP.
You may be thinking that because just the last letter is different they´re very similar, but they´re not. The J/P difference is huge. These 2 types are completely different from eachother.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The only thing I can be sure of is that you're an intuitive. Pretty much everything else is open to interpretation. You seem a bit more 'bouncy' than an INFJ, and a few minor things in mannerisms might point to ENFP. However, I can't form a decent opinion off of one paragraph.

The only helpful thing I can say is that instead of focusing on where and when you think, and where you feel, or about what - focus on how you do it. Determining whether you use an extroverted feeling function or an introverted feeling function will be hugely helpful in determining your type, likewise with thinking, sensing, and intuiting.

There's a ton of info on this forum about functions, so just do some digging and you'll figure it out soon enough.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only thing I can be sure of is that you're an intuitive. Pretty much everything else is open to interpretation. You seem a bit more 'bouncy' than an INFJ, and a few minor things in mannerisms might point to ENFP. However, I can't form a decent opinion off of one paragraph.

The only helpful thing I can say is that instead of focusing on where and when you think, and where you feel, or about what - focus on how you do it. Determining whether you use an extroverted feeling function or an introverted feeling function will be hugely helpful in determining your type, likewise with thinking, sensing, and intuiting.

There's a ton of info on this forum about functions, so just do some digging and you'll figure it out soon enough.
Thanks. I know that I like to go out and socialize more than the stereotypical introvert, but I never thought I would be considered an extrovert. My Fe is more dominant than my Fi for sure, which probably knocks INFP off the list. Anyway, thank you again for your input.

·
Registered
535 Posts
You are an INFJ my friend, and I am absolutely certain of it.
^This.

That description of yours is screaming Ni, with some Fe and a bit of Ti thrown in. Read some descriptions of Ni, and you will see how much it corresponds to your post.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's weird, I have read many descriptions of Ni and it is hard for me to see that cognitive function in action in my life. So it's surprising that you all are saying that there is a lot of intuition use happening. The functions have always been a little difficult for me to understand and appropriate.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
It's weird, I have read many descriptions of Ni and it is hard for me to see that cognitive function in action in my life. So it's surprising that you all are saying that there is a lot of intuition use happening. The functions have always been a little difficult for me to understand and appropriate.
You probably have a strong F.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Thanks. I know that I like to go out and socialize more than the stereotypical introvert, but I never thought I would be considered an extrovert. My Fe is more dominant than my Fi for sure, which probably knocks INFP off the list. Anyway, thank you again for your input.
I tried to explain to you what Ni was earlier in the page. You definitely use it though. However, that's strange that you say that your Fe is stronger than your Ni because that would make you an ENFJ. ENFJ's use Fe more than Ni, and INFJ's use Ni more than Fe. That would make you an extrovert.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts