Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How old are you fellow ISTJ's and how old were you when you found out about Myers Briggs and that you are an ISTJ??? and how did you come to find out about Myers Briggs and do the test?

Me, I am 44 and I found out this year at the age of 43.

And I wish I knew this stuff when I was 17!

·
Registered
504 Posts
I was bored one day and decided to take a personality test. MBTI the first test that came up in Google, I think, so I took it. That was when I was 20. I am now in my early 20's.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I am currently 18. I found out about MBTI when I was either 14, or 15. My friend who was taking psychology (an INTP) introduced it to me..

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm 21 and I first found out about the MBTI when I was 8 (my INFP ex-stepmom is a therapist and is into the MBTI :tongue:). She typed me as an ISTJ but I don't think I actually took the test until middle school.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm 19, and I found the test on a job site this year.

Been getting ISTJ in several tests - S and J varying, but my I and T have always been 80-100%.

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
How old are you fellow ISTJ's and how old were you when you found out about Myers Briggs and that you are an ISTJ??? and how did you come to find out about Myers Briggs and do the test?

Me, I am 44 and I found out this year at the age of 43.

And I wish I knew this stuff when I was 17!
i found out this year, i'm 18.

Reactions: niss

·
Registered
35 Posts
I may be the senior member here, I'm 58.

During the 1980's, Bill Moyers with PBS presented a series of interviews with Joseph Campbell. The series was called The Power of Myth. I thought it was fantastic. It's available on Netflix.

From there I read Campbell's famous book "The Hero with a Thousand Faces." I consider this one of the best books I've ever read.

That book & other works by Campbell led me to Carl Jung, the German psychologist. I've read a bit more than half of his collective works. I found his writing facinating.

There will some who know that the genesis of MBTI lies in the work of Jung. He's the one who came up with the four classifications.

It was some time later that I came upon MBTI. It was a great thrill for me when I did. Now I have the opportunity to explore these ideas here on this website.

Thanks to all of you.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
39, and about 10-11 years ago, although I can't remember the exact site/URL.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I'm pushing Graeb1 hard as I am 47. I discovered personality typing through a Sunday School class for young marrieds, which means I was probably around 25. I thought it was interesting, but not really earth shattering--although it did explain some of the problems SWMBO and I were having. (It was a name type personality chart that put you on a grid, with the four corners being named phlegmatic, choleric, melancholy, and sanguine.)

Fast forward about ten years, and I discovered Keirsy. It was free then, but it really, really read your mail. Positives and negatives, it was a no holds barred self discovery device. Because it talked about where I really lived, I sat up and took notice. SWMBO, the eternal optimist, thought to herself that there might be hope for her SO afterall, so she left a few self help books around and scheduled a few counseling sessions.

Fast forward to today. I've not arrived by any stretch of the imagination. It's a journey, after all. However, I have learned a lot about myself and have become someone that I am proud to shave. I'm still learning, but I've found that by being connected to my own feelings, I can impact others, encouraging them to pursue positive change in their lives. Most of this last has been done in person through individual interactions. I've discovered that people are really cool and I enjoy most interactions with them.

I thank God for SWMBO. I hope all of you find the SWMBO living inside of your SO.:happy:

Ok, I'll stop for now...I'm all over the map, as usual.:blushed:

·
Registered
308 Posts
I am 20 and I first took the Myers-Briggs test at school when I was 17. However, I didn't really start learning about it in depth until earlier this year.

·
Registered
59 Posts
At the time of this writing I'm 25 years old. I was first exposed to the MBTI when I was 15, which was when I found out that I was an ISTJ person. I found it amusing that one of my "recommended jobs" was work as a mortician. I thought it fitting, considering what I was going through during that point in my life.

I didn't think too much of it at the time because I had taken the test within the context of a "life development" class of some sort. It wasn't named as the MBTI, but when I told my then not-yet-girlfriend about it, she told me about the MBTI and showed me some links about it. I read through a few of them and paid them little heed. "Why bother?" I thought. "They sound too vague and general for me to pay attention to." Still, through the years, she would sometimes bring it up, and I would humor her by taking several of the online tests. I always tested out as ISTJ and while I was still skeptical of it, I did realize that some of the things I was reading did make sense and I consciously and unconsciously tried some of the things I read about.

About five months ago, I really started getting into reading about it since she specifically asked me to do so. At first I still had the usual reactions. "What the hell is this crap? Why is it that when I read descriptions about INFPs, I imagine them getting run over by cars whenever they step outside? I'm not reading this shit anymore." So she convinced me by saying, "Think of it as a tool to better your understanding of people."

So I decided to try reading more about it. Well, after a few books (Keirsey, Type Talk), assloads of reading online and joining this forum...well it's obvious what I think of it now. I'm definitely seeing it as a very useful tool and rather than feeling like I'm becoming more prejudiced against people (which I thought it would make me), it's helping me understand them instead.

·
Banned
932 Posts
I'm 21-

I found out about it in high school when I was about 16 in my AP Psychology class, I don't remember what I was then, but I would suspect ISTJ

- however, I didn't actually become interested in the entire realm of MBTI until about 6 months ago when my INTJ friend introduced it to me- I saw it as a way to help me not to judge other people and to help me interact with others as well according to their types (at least before I really get to know someone).... ever since then I have always scored ISTJ

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for replying, and please do chip in if you have not already.

I am sceptical about most psychological stuff, but the Myers Briggs Jungian based system is just superb and I do understand a lot more about myself as an ISTJ, now that I know I am an ISTJ.

I'm pleased to see a range of ages, although most seem to be 18-25 and then there is a bit of a gap and the rest of us are 40+.

·
Registered
111 Posts
At 16 (and a half), I think I'm the baby of the group here so far ><"

I discovered this site around a year ago, although only recently created an account. I have always been interested in psychology, and I began looking into MBTI after the results of a career aptitude testing told me I was an ISTJ.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm 24 and I first learned of MBTI at about 22-23 y.o. I was looking for reasons as to why I think so damn much that it makes it very hard for me to goto sleep. I've taken several different tests over that time period always been ISTJ though my S has ways been weak.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I’m 30, so now we have all age categories.

I guess I got introduced to the MBTI about 5 years ago. I was really unhappy with my job at that time I went to seek some help in the form of job counseling. At first I thought we would take about my studies and the present feelings at that time, but it turned out to be a very personal investigation.
Just imagine a job interview turns out to be a criminal investigation.

Afterwards (or just now, to be honest) I must say it was worth the effort.
(I quit my job 2 months later and started studying again :) )
I had a brief look at the tests and found my real me.
It’s only lately that I became very interested into MBTI, because I felt something was wrong with me or everybody else. Or I just need to change my job again.

The difficult thing for me is to assign each profile to the people I know, more training is needed, so I force myself to go out in the wild and discover it the hard way.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
I've taken several different tests over that time period always been ISTJ though my S has ways been weak.
Likewise on the test-taking part. My S and J have always been consistently strong; it's my T that is usually the "weakest" of the bunch, usually falling around the 60 mark. But then again, if we were all the same, we'd be Borg drones. Having said that, the 5454541342412 times I've taken the test I've ALWAYS scored ISTJ, regardless of whether *I* believe myself to be overly emotional, for instance, on a particular day or not.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just turned 16. Found out about MBTI when I was 14, but took the test seriously and determined my type when i was 15.
It was introduced to me by my INTP friend of the same age =)

Reactions: niss
1 - 20 of 117 Posts