Personality Cafe banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am a design student in Detroit Michigan and for my senior capstone project I am working on a design for the baby boomer generation's retirement living experience, and I have a 6 question short answer survey. Any feedback is so helpful and I really appreciate anyone taking time out to take the survey!

Here are the questions:
What is important to you in your living environment in general and in regards to you aging?
Do you live in a city, suburban, or rural area?
What do you like and dislike about living where you live?
What is important to you in your living environment in general and in regards to you aging?
Would you ever consider moving into a retirement community or assisted living? Why or why not?
Is there something that could be changed about retirement communities that would make them more appealing to you?
How do you feel about living in a space with a communal kitchen/living room area?
How would you feel about sharing a living space with younger people?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Thank you for this opportunity to put my thoughts down on this. It's interesting that my parents told me that they never want to be put in a retirement facility of any kind. My mom died before her time but my dad is still living alone and thriving in a nice 55 and over walk-up at 87. He has it together better than I do. I don't feel the same way they do about retirement living and I'm 60. I wouldn't mind living where he lives except it's in the town I grew up in. Put someplace like that near where I have lived all my adult life and I would jump on it.

Even though my legs are still strong, I want to live on a single level. I want to maintain autonomy as long as possible. I want to live in a place where I can be active in the outdoors as long as I live. And it has to be ski country (see below).

Do you live in a city, suburban, or rural area?
I live in a small city at the foot of the mountains.

What do you like and dislike about living where you live?
Mountains and hiking walking distance from my home. Close to skiing. Progressive, educated culture. Being able to walk to shopping for pretty much everything I need without crossing a major street.

I must be near the mountains for skiing. Even as I age, I expect never to have to stop skiing. And even if I did, I would still want to be in ski country, with snow in winter, and know what snow conditions are and where my younger friends are backcountry skiing.

Would you ever consider moving into a retirement community or assisted living? Why or why not?
Yes, but not until I am ready to admit I (we) are not capable of taking care of everything to our standards. If one of us needs more help than the other can provide, we would move. A problem is there aren't many where I live and even if we sold our house, we probably couldn't afford it. We would have to move somewhere else less high end.

Is there something that could be changed about retirement communities that would make them more appealing to you?
Not really. I have nothing against living in a retirement community and have been learning about it as my mother-in-law is dealing with this now in Japan. I know more about what it's like in Japan than in the US and I would not mind at all living in the kind of assisted living facilities they have there. My wife and I both agree.

How do you feel about living in a space with a communal kitchen/living room area?
I love to cook. I would have no problem sharing a kitchen space and would probably maintain it more than others and cook for others as well.

How would you feel about sharing a living space with younger people?
I've heard of this in Scandinavian countries and I think it is cool.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts