Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, my nickname is Aha, but do not mind it

You all have read about those Ni-dom Aha! moments of sudden revelation, which is very intriguing cognition process.
I want to ask you (Ni-users) to give us examples from your life:

• Prerequisites
  • What did you feel at the moment
  • What did you understand in the result? Example
  • How often it is true to false on a scale from 0 to 100
Thank you!

p.s. just for the sake of a joke:

2 p.s. if you do not have Ni in your functional stack (mbti) and you experience those revelations nonetheless, feel free to put your 5 cents and describe it

3 p.s. I ask it for a better understanding of the subconscious cognitive processes. I hope, I will compute some definite understanding in result

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I never particularly resonated with the fabled "aha!" moment, as all of my thoughts tend to happen sort of like "oh! ... Oh! ... Oh!" Ni doesn't just hit me, it's always on, always digging into stuff I see as interesting.

That being said, I look forward to the rest of the thread. Should be interesting from a voyeuristic perspective.

I also appreciate the irony.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
I've had some aha moments. Some are intelligent, some, not so much. I'll give you an example of one of the funnier moments. I went to British schools that are Church of England. I really didn't pay attention to the religious aspect. It seemed pretty irrelevant. One day, I had a eureka moment. There was the story of a guy called Jesus who was nailed up as a sacrifice. There was another story of this kid talking to pharisees. And the Christmas story. I felt like an idiot when one day, I connected they were all the same person. Not that I became a Christian, but it occurred to me that I should be giving people my undivided attention when they're talking so that I don't make a fool of myself. Not being interested in what they have to say doesn't give me a free pass to be rude.

ETA: I don't have a lot of aha moments. When they do happen, on a scale off 0-100, they've been 100. I don't think I'd trust them if they happened regularly.

·
Banned
660 Posts
At work I suddenly realized that they were expecting me to continue working for them after I got my degree, due to the way HR was talking to me. Which would make sense as they wouldn't have to pay nearly as much to train me, and from my own investigations, those that get promoted make significantly less than those that transfer in from somewhere else.

I had no intentions of continuing to work for them after graduating, in fact, I had planned to quit after one more year. But because I was suddenly of the impression that I was being expected to stay with the company (and there are a handful of people that have done just that) I started thinking for whatever reason that I could negotiate a raise.

My internal images are usually of an abstracted or surrealist tint (fine art not Jungian) but when actively problem solving they become more lucid. One in particular was like something out of a military book. I was struck by an image of a single unit being flanked on both sides and from the back, slowly forced into a narrow pass, which effectively suggested the strategy I went with: I turned in about 12 applications and listed HR as the only job reference on all of them. I've no idea how many called but it was enough to pressure her. We had a very long conversation filled with lots of acting on both sides and she finally suggested a 1$ raise.

I tend to go overboard with whatever job I have, not out of a desire for achievement, but because I know that if I take on extra work and projects, and essentially make life easier for certain individuals in the hierarchy, I'll be able to use them later for something. A good reference, who knows. She was no different. She was entirely aware that I went above and beyond, that I had often done petty things she didn't want to be bothered with, and that my intelligence and potential level was significant. I think that's the reason the conversation didn't end when I suggested a much higher amount and she actually negotiated with me. It was quite fragile and the entire time my Ni was telling where and when to push and when to completely let off. I ended up with a 3$ raise and my hours slightly cut.

1.) What did you feel at the moment:

I didn't really feel anything. That's more like INFJ Ni, where it's integrated into their anatomy and they can feel it at the visceral level. It was just a sudden flood of images, all in constant flux. The only one I can describe without having to attempt to paint it, is the military one, which I think arose as a result of my Te examining what my Ni was doing (if that makes sense.) I didn't even consciously think "pressure her by turning in a ton of applications and listing only her as the possible reference so the chances of the job contacting her is higher," I was just already doing it.

2.) What did you understand in the result:

It started with me realizing that I was expected to stay with the company. I was having issues with a new supervisor and had been called in. I was expecting some sort of discipline, to be written up even, but that wasn't the case. I just naturally became suspicious and started paying closer attention. She casually moved the conversation over to my schooling at which point it just clicked.

During the negotiation I just knew when to drop a line of reasoning and when to contradict her own and how.

3.) How often it's true on a scale of 0-100

Pretty high. But because I don't get myself into situations where my Ni will not work. My Ni will point out an escape route before I get entrenched into such a situation. So generally it's about a 90 or higher. Although it typically deals in things less serious. Navigating personal relationships, deceiving the deceiver, getting what I personally want out of a situation or group. etc.

I haven't had many chances to truly strategize in the way that I want. Large scale, in a way that would give clear feedback.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I made a connection between these kinda threads and how stupid they are are and realized i'm gonna be banned.

Hey stop it. I'm not serious :wink:. It was a funny idea, this thread rocks. Sincerely waiting to read some Ni users so i can discard the function or not.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
@Aha, that gif is the perfect emulation of Se/Ni .

Also, I have experienced what can be described as "aha" moments, but they're Ne ones. In fact, I experienced one today about my major and choice of career. I was processing information about myself in the car (based on a conversation that I had with my professor yesterday) and all of a sudden I had fit in all of the pieces and it made sense: I was not meant to work alone, my Ne makes working alone and being successful difficult. I need to work with groups, thus I should likely involve myself in a field that demands that I work with others.

It's almost like I have 10 puzzles that I'm working on at the same time, and I'm gradually working to complete each puzzle. Once I have, I get this small revelation, and that's really it. It's never so intense for me. Each time, I have to consciously work to achieve that "aha" moment.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Haha, it's like your avatar of the joker clapping is Morgan Freeman as God in Bruce Almighty and the guy in the OP is Jim Carrey suddenly realising something the joker/Morgan Freeman was waiting for him to get for ages.

I've had a fair few aha! moments and they usually come when I'm showering or doing some chores. It's funny because they're usually about something that happened 6 months ago or something crazy like that. It's more of a "oh my! so that's what they meant!" or "oh yeah, now I understand the storyline!"

And I identify most with ISTP I believe, so tertiary Ni.

*EDIT*

Also, my apologies for going a little off track, but is my comparison between your avatar and the picture with the film 'Bruce Almighty' Ni?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm still unsure if I correctly identified myself as a Ni-dominant. If I did, then the following part is valid. If I'm wrong, then it's something else.

I almost always get understandings of things this way, they simply "come to me", no matter if they are small or big, so I just take them for granted and don't pay much attention to every particular case. So, to answer the last question

How often it is true to false on a scale from 0 to 100

I have no idea, it never bothered me. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong.

I can use one moment from the last week as an example.

Prerequisites

Note that I'm still a terrible noob in what I'm going to describe. It was a difficult situation for me.
I was at work and tried to build an application together with a guy. We did it on a device with 2 GB of RAM and 4 cores, and the compiler kept crashing because it lacked RAM. I tried to do something and failed, then the guy came and tried to get rid of templates. It failed too.
Then was the moment when I was completely lost, sat in front of the monitor and blankly stared at CPU and RAM usage.

What did you feel at the moment

Is it about emotions? Then nothing. Though if it's about something else, it's still nothing.

What did you understand in the result? Example

It's like several things got pulled together, so I understood how they are related to each other. Thinking about this understanding I had a following idea of what's going on: I set a compiler parameter to use all the 4 cores long ago and then forgot about it; all the cores were working at the same time, and of course each of them needed memory for its process. I didn't consciously think all of this through. Or I didn't notice it (is it even possible?).
In the end I just removed the parameter which had been set to use 4 cores and everything stopped crashing. My idea was correct.

·
Wielding the mafia banhammer
1,514 Posts
1. Working at a feed & seed store, peak of the season, understaffed, running ourselves ragged between the store and the warehouse to answer the phone. This was back in the dinosaur age, before full cell coverage. The cordless phone was crap at that distance, boss wouldn't spring for a new one, and we couldn't just run the cord out there because the rats would chew it.

I was in the middle of typing up a report when the answer popped into my head, to dismantle an old gate that was going to be scrapped anyway and use that to protect the cord. I saw exactly how we'd have to cut it and lay it out. I felt pretty stupid for not seeing it earlier, but it's not like anyone else had come up with anything, either. About an hour later it was done, and we saved a lot of useless running around carrying messages.

2. Boyfriend was all pouty and irritated with me about something and couldn't tell me what (he was as out of touch with his feelings as I am). I had given up stewing over it and was fiddling around on Wikipedia when it hit me what I'd done (and no, I won't say what). It was almost like someone else telling me, a short sentence in my head. I pushed away my pride and went to him, clarified that I was right, and apologized.

I'd say on the whole it's 80-90% accurate, and when it's wrong I usually find out pretty quickly when I check it against reality.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Usually I get them when brainstorming for an idea to complete a work assignment. Another moment is when I'm a leader of a group, we'll all share our ideas then suddenly in my head a vision or aha second of the ideas intertwine so I know how we'll present it.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
The epiphany moments only seem to happen either once I have decided to table whatever highly intricate issue is dogging me or once a person doing something unrelated indirectly causes me to make a intuitive connection. Think the television series House.

These moments are usually rather exciting and rewarding as I love solving puzzles. My epiphanies are rarely incorrect.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Time for the deep, ancient, almost mystical in nature pearls of insight from the raging vortex of the collective unconscious. It came to me this afternoon in a maelstrom of images and information.

"Alzheimer's! That's the name of that brain disease thingy!"

Please try not to be too awe stricken.

Reactions: 95410

·
Registered
757 Posts

lol Truly not unlike this.

I was at work yesterday, and it's a busy place, lots of running around, things that need to get done, etc etc and all of a sudden I just stopped everything and had a revelation out of nowhere. ("OHHhhhh...") It's seriously like a mind orgasm. Things are working in the subconscious of my brain, like the background processes of a computer that you never see, and then finally everything clicks. It's beautiful.

Like, I'm not even thinking of the things I have epiphanies about, which I guess is what makes it seem magical. It's only until later that I can figure out where it might have come from and sift through the clues (maybe that's where Ti kicks in or something?), but sometimes even then it's kind of vague. Like maybe it was from a memory, or someone's facial expression...which kind of makes it sound like wild speculation at times, but usually...I'm right. At least when it comes to people, anyway.

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
I will have aha moments either as I'm talking and working things out in my head as I'm conveying my thoughts, or, when I'm pacing and thinking but not thinking. I don't hear the brain chatter, just that I know I'm thinking because I can't focus on any activity other than walk in circles or wash dishes or some other mundane task. They generally are literally like a snap, aha!

The last one I had was on the forum yesterday I think? I was typing a post and literally wrote ... Awwww fuck. After the aha hit me. That I *gestures to disclaimer in sig*, I problem solve problems that don't exist pretty much. :p

you can bare witness in the type 8 forum where it happened. :p

I am trying really hard to push myself to just have experiences without 'planning' them etc. I can't sit around my whole life waiting for people to help me feel safe walking around in the world. The last two friendship/relationships were heavily stratigized with people who wouldn't push my boundaries nor make me feel vulnerable. Though I felt frustrated and not really enjoyed for who I am fully for obvious reasons of not being myself fully.

Prior to that, similar but not. I was fully myself but riddled with anxiety after a certain point for certain reasons that sucked, and so the story goes. I think the issue is ... That. *points back to left* <-- Right there. See that? The "I think" part. I think waaaaay too much in a way that's completely absurd.

It's misplaced mental energy for bullshit reasons that to be honest, I have NO doubt they'll be a million times nonexistent or nonproblematic once I'm not living in an environment that works against me.

For me. As an Ni dom, my aha moments cluster when my aim of focus is where I know it ought to be. When my mind is looking in the direction my intuition says is right, for me, then my aha moments happen flawlessly and it's one step in front of another. Learning, growing (working on the experiencing part :p).

When my problem of solving problems that don't exist happens, my point of orientation gets turned upside down. And I'll walk about on my hands and talk out my arse and crash and burn and it's awful! Lol!

But when an experience jolts me I'll notice I'm upside down, and that things aren't right. And I'll look to the directions my Ni knows to see and then , boom.boom.boom. Aha!

Sometimes back to back, my brain catches up with itself, assimilating the nonsensical and making everything make sense and the aha's go like, "oooooh yeah. Why the hell did I not see that before?!?! It was SO Obvious!"

But I didn't see it. Because I was busy walking around upside down. Isn't that silly ?! :tongue:

I guess historically, if I'm honest, my pattern goes like so with personal growth:

3 steps forward, 2 steps back.

And it's when I take the steps back that I'm all caught up with myself(my Ni).

Hard to explain but that's the best I got. :p

·
Registered
159 Posts
Now that i read a few examples of this "Aha moments" they seem not as magical as i thought :kitteh:

i also have them from time to time, but in the most cases i don't trust them. i must think about what came suddenly into my mind, if it work or if it can be true etc.
Mostly they come after i thought about a problem, but haven't a solution yet. Then in a relaxed situation, where my mind is free, it makes "click" and there is a possible solution.

i don't know how accurate they are to be honest :happy:

I hope it was understandable :kitteh:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts