Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"To the degree that a person becomes conscious that the evil is as much in himself as in the other, to this same degree he is not likely to project it on to some scapegoat, and commit the most criminal acts of violence upon other people. Now this is to my mind the primary thing that Jung saw; that in order to admit and really accept and understand the evil in oneself, one had to be able to do it without being an enemy to it. As he put it, you had to accept your own dark side. And he had this pre-eminently in his own character.

I had a long talk with him back in 1958 and I was enormously impressed, with a man who was obviously very great but at the same time, which whom everybody could be completely at ease. There are so many great people, great in knowledge or great in what is called holiness, with whom the ordinary individual feels rather embarrassed: He feels inclined to sit on the edge of his chair, and to feel immediately judged by this persons wisdom or sanctity.

Jung managed to have wisdom and I think also sanctity in such a way that when other people came into it's presence they didn't feel judged, they felt enhanced, encouraged and invited to share in a common life... And there was a sort of twinkle in Jung's eye that gave me the impression that he knew himself to be just as much a villian as everybody else. There's a nice German word 'Hintergedanke' which means a thought in the very far far back of your mind.

Jung had a Hintergedanke in the back of his mind which showed, it showed in the twinkle in his eyes, it showed that he knew and recognized what I have sometimes called 'the Element of Irreducible Rascality' in himself. And he knew it so strongly, and so clearly, and - in a way - so lovingly that he would not condemn the same thing in others, and therefore would not be lead into those thoughts feeling and acts of violence towards others, which are always characteristic of the people who project the devil in themselves upon the outside, upon somebody else, upon the scapegoat"

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Alan Watts... I like his views on balancing of Eastern and Western philosophy... his black and white thinking is intriguing. I would certainly align him to an INFJ type (just as Carl Jung.) I, for one, do not believe that you can remove the evil or shadow side tendency. Acceptance of the darkside of the id is imperative to understand self development as a perceiver. It's important I suppose to analyze that piece... of course you should do it without hanging yourself while masturbating...
"The doctor can only help the person once he has fully accepted the darkness within his own self." Such true words. Probably why I avoid helping anyone out :ninja:

Reactions: Vellyon

·
Registered
448 Posts
Oh ya...and Jung is the one who first set me off on this existential crazy train into the cryptic world of the unknown!

Did you know he is suspected to have had an IQ of like, 185? That is completely obnoxious, being that he wasn't autistic or anything!

I mean, what other 8 year old gets depressed, and then hallucinates archetypes as imaginary friends? And then creates his own language to talk to them?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alan Watts... I like his views on balancing of Eastern and Western philosophy... his black and white thinking is intriguing. I would certainly align him to an INFJ type (just as Carl Jung.) I, for one, do not believe that you can remove the evil or shadow side tendency. Acceptance of the darkside of the id is imperative to understand self development as a perceiver.
I'm pretty sure that Alan Watts would agree 100% with what you say here - "black and white thinking" is rather antithesis to pretty much everything I've heard Watts say although I may be interpreting his talks differently.

Reactions: the3rdpower
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.