Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So lately I finished the book "The Way of Zen" and it got me curious to know what Alan Watt's type is

I initially thought INFJ through his writings, but apparently CelebrityTypes.com has him pegged as an ENFP hmm...

any thoughts?

·
Registered
42 Posts
He discusses one deep topic from many many angles.
Going deeper and deeper into that topic to gain a better understanding of it.
To me this is Ni.

But maybe the fact that he almost speaks in riddles, intertwining topics quite fast, might lead people to see Ne.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
I just discovered him today and I'm hooked. I think more of INFJ too, but I'm not an expert.

His stance on memory looks awfully like Ni>Se and his emphasis on sharing knowledge looks Fe/Ti.

·
Banned
6,664 Posts
My first guess was definitely INFJ yet I somewhat think that he could be an INFP.

*Selfless compassion towards nature.
*Extraordinary language skills.
*Solitude and alcoholism in his last days.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I would dispute the typing of a number of individuals on Celebrity Types, but I am fully inclined to agree with them on ENFP.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
I probably need to read/watch more on him but he does seem to fit the ENFP stereotype, the one I read about but never get to meet in real life despite knowing -a ton- of female ENFPs >.>

Definitely though a strong Ne & enneagram 7

·
Registered
7 Posts
I always typed Watts as ENTP. He was an academic drawn to performance and conversation, mixed arts and sciences. Definite extrovert...he'd surround himself with hippie truth seekers and wouldn't shut up. Morally he was ambiguous...he talks about an irreduceable rascality (ENTP trolling, Cayote trickster hero). Drawn to counter intuitive and paradoxical problems (Ne dominating Ti). He was a priest and really enjoyed the dressing up part but switched religions a lot and ended up an unofficial Buddhist rather than ordained. Like flings with other mens wives and boozing in general. Ended up alone. His F seems more Fe than Fi to me. ENTP 7 I'd say.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I always typed Watts as ENTP. He was an academic drawn to performance and conversation, mixed arts and sciences. Definite extrovert...he'd surround himself with hippie truth seekers and wouldn't shut up. Morally he was ambiguous...he talks about an irreduceable rascality (ENTP trolling, Cayote trickster hero). Drawn to counter intuitive and paradoxical problems (Ne dominating Ti). He was a priest and really enjoyed the dressing up part but switched religions a lot and ended up an unofficial Buddhist rather than ordained. Like flings with other mens wives and boozing in general. Ended up alone. His F seems more Fe than Fi to me. ENTP 7 I'd say.
Excellent haha (-'he wouldn;t shut-up')
He didn't end up alone, btw, not according ot 'Genuine Fake' Biography.
I would say that like me, and several similar people, he was an XNXP i.e both introverted an extroverted ('ambiverted') and both a thinker and a feeler, about 50-50. Let us paint people duly, as they were rather than rushing them/fixing them into some permanent 'type' = -as if that is that real! And they can change from one day to the next although 'N' and 'P' are more solid, default positions for someone like him.
The ennegram I do NOT AT ALL believe in the system devised by Riso (and I amazed at all those who do, incl. spiritual teachers! It is just NOT how people are in REALITY!), but I like the 9 types as human character-expressions (one of Riso's real, intuitive strengths) and in this way I would say he is both a '7' and a '4' about equally, -those 2 positions making someone of character, intuitivity, subtlety, liveliness and charisma with a bit of '5' and a bit of '9'.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.