Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no other purpose to create this thread than to share the writings one of my favorite people in history. Something tells me us INFJs in particular will find this extraordinarily beautiful and be able to relate to his words in so many ways. No doubt every personality type will appreciate this, but his words on being a lone traveler, along with basically everything else he says, will resonate deeply with an INFJ. Hope everyone enjoys reading this.
____

"How strange is the lot of us mortals! Each of us is here for a brief sojourn; for what purpose he knows not, though he sometimes thinks he senses it. But without deeper reflection one knows from daily life that one exists for other people — first of all for those upon whose smiles and well-being our own happiness is wholly dependent, and then for the many, unknown to us, to whose destinies we are bound by the ties of sympathy. A hundred times every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving…

I have never looked upon ease and happiness as ends in themselves — this critical basis I call the ideal of a pigsty. The ideals that have lighted my way, and time after time have given me new courage to face life cheerfully, have been Kindness, Beauty, and Truth. Without the sense of kinship with men of like mind, without the occupation with the objective world, the eternally unattainable in the field of art and scientific endeavors, life would have seemed empty to me. The trite objects of human efforts — possessions, outward success, luxury — have always seemed to me contemptible.

My passionate sense of social justice and social responsibility has always contrasted oddly with my pronounced lack of need for direct contact with other human beings and human communities. I am truly a ‘lone traveler’ and have never belonged to my country, my home, my friends, or even my immediate family, with my whole heart; in the face of all these ties, I have never lost a sense of distance and a need for solitude…

My political ideal is democracy. Let every man be respected as an individual and no man idolized. It is an irony of fate that I myself have been the recipient of excessive admiration and reverence from my fellow-beings, through no fault, and no merit, of my own. The cause of this may well be the desire, unattainable for many, to understand the few ideas to which I have with my feeble powers attained through ceaseless struggle. I am quite aware that for any organization to reach its goals, one man must do the thinking and directing and generally bear the responsibility. But the led must not be coerced, they must be able to choose their leader. In my opinion, an autocratic system of coercion soon degenerates; force attracts men of low morality… The really valuable thing in the pageant of human life seems to me not the political state, but the creative, sentient individual, the personality; it alone creates the noble and the sublime, while the herd as such remains dull in thought and dull in feeling.

This topic brings me to that worst outcrop of herd life, the military system, which I abhor… This plague-spot of civilization ought to be abolished with all possible speed. Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism — how passionately I hate them!

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed. It was the experience of mystery — even if mixed with fear — that engendered religion. A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, our perceptions of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which only in their most primitive forms are accessible to our minds: it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute true religiosity. In this sense, and only this sense, I am a deeply religious man… I am satisfied with the mystery of life’s eternity and with a knowledge, a sense, of the marvelous structure of existence — as well as the humble attempt to understand even a tiny portion of the Reason that manifests itself in nature.”

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Though I've read but a few writings from Mr. Einstein, I was always taken with his sense of wonderment and great humility. It tickled me to find out he may have likely been a Type 5(w4) - the Iconoclast. In any case, I've always held a soft spot for him. He was profound. He embraced and acknowledged the great and beautiful mysteries of life. Thank you, OP, for sharing this. I am touched and comforted.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
My passionate sense of social justice and social responsibility has always contrasted oddly with my pronounced lack of need for direct contact with other human beings and human communities. I am truly a ‘lone traveler’ and have never belonged to my country, my home, my friends, or even my immediate family, with my whole heart; in the face of all these ties, I have never lost a sense of distance and a need for solitude…
Best bit!!! :)

and not really because I can relate I just feel massive respect for the guy reading that part.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Though I've read but a few writings from Mr. Einstein, I was always taken with his sense of wonderment and great humility. It tickled me to find out he may have likely been a Type 5(w4) - the Iconoclast. In any case, I've always held a soft spot for him. He was profound. He embraced and acknowledged the great and beautiful mysteries of life. Thank you, OP, for sharing this. I am touched and comforted.
My soul smiled at the last line of your post. To touch and comfort someone is one of the few deeds that penetrate past the materialistic nature of thoughts... past the loves, aches & passions of the heart... and brings to surface peace & humility that is always hidden within the soul. I'm glad I came here to share his words even though I've barely had the time or leisure to visit this forum lately...

After reading it for myself, I knew one of the places I had to share it was on the INFJ forum here. Life becomes tough sometimes - the closed mindedness and negativity that has surrounded me for a couple weeks was becoming extremely draining. Reading this was a like a deep, full breath of fresh air that gave me a bit of a boost.

"The ideals that have lighted my way, and time after time have given me new courage to face life cheerfully, have been Kindness, Beauty, and Truth."

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you read his letters to Freud?
Those are funny.
Sure haven't, got any links handy? Too lazy to search at the moment. If not no worries, I'll be sure to look into them... this has me intrigued lol.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Too lazy to google? Naa. Bad word choice on my part, I should have said I am pre-occupied with other things (which makes better sense since I said I would look into it myself in case you didn't have links handy :happy:). Figured I'd save myself a solid minute (lol) sifting through websites to find a particularly fruitful one.

When people have links handy, it tends to be because the link is good. Your efforts are much appreciated! PDF form is just icing on the cake. Goodreader + Dropbox + iPhone/iPad/Android device = Win.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
I think his sentiments are great, but it is very Ti-dom. It reminds me greatly of some of Jung and Von Franz's and Immanuel Kant's writing, this immense care for people and for humanity, but a sort of inability to engage people at their level. It always remains conceptual, and I feel like that's where Einstein is coming from. Wanting to use his great intellect for great promise, but always being one step removed from the practicality of interaction.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm so famous!
Pleasure to meet you! Although... I must say, your identity is a bit suspicious :wink:. I would figure the real Einstein would also include the sentence that follows what's currently in your signature :laughing:

The message hits home when there is an explanation for what differentiates a great spirit from a mediocre mind. I might argue the sentence that follows even goes as far as to encourage the mediocre mind to awaken (rare, but possible) from mediocrity. I hope most men and women prefer to be honest and courageous over prejudice; unfortunately many don't realize when honesty and courage become hostage to prejudice.

The quote in your signature is definitely one of my favorites.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

Reactions: Einstein

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I think his sentiments are great, but it is very Ti-dom. It reminds me greatly of some of Jung and Von Franz's and Immanuel Kant's writing, this immense care for people and for humanity, but a sort of inability to engage people at their level. It always remains conceptual, and I feel like that's where Einstein is coming from. Wanting to use his great intellect for great promise, but always being one step removed from the practicality of interaction.
I understand what you're saying, but I disagree with your sentiment that his intellect was a step behind practicality of interaction. It's especially difficult because it's nearly impossible to engage in people at a level of thinking that is, in at least that level, incapable of understanding the message these people were trying to get across. I definitely don't intend to say this is a paradox of some sort. My thoughts have an underlying assumption that when humans are offered ideas that present solutions to certain problems, we ought to have the audacity and courage to question our most firmly held beliefs for the sake of truth and progress over comfort.

Albert Einstein was very vocal on social responsibility especially regarding the implications of his infamous equation that, I would assume, was instrumental in the creation of atomic weapons because it illustrated quite clearly the profound amounts of energy that is contained in anything with mass.

I'd also like point out a quote by Dr. Ron Paul which I very much agree with:

"Ideas are very important to the shaping of society. In fact, they are more powerful than bombings or armies or guns. And this is because ideas are capable of spreading without limit. They are behind all the choices we make. They can transform the world in a way that governments and armies cannot. Fighting for liberty with ideas makes more sense to me than fighting with guns or politics or political power. With ideas, we can make real change that lasts."

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thank so much for sharing this. It's very awe-inspiring and heart-warming. I now have greater respect for Einstein, even when before I already highly revered him. He has inspired me more then ever to do my part in contributing to society while I still retain the privilege of walking on the beautiful soils of Earth, just as he did during his lifetime. He was not only a man with magnanimous revolutionary ideas, but he was most certainly a man with a big heart. :)

·
Registered
INFJ, SoCom, hands-on, physical intimacy, Energy being, Project Career Temp, Wisdom Growth Temp
3,887 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Mr Einstein was cerainly a man of my own heart!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have no other purpose to create this thread than to share the writings one of my favorite people in history. Something tells me us INFJs in particular will find this extraordinarily beautiful and be able to relate to his words in so many ways. No doubt every personality type will appreciate this, but his words on being a lone traveler, along with basically everything else he says, will resonate deeply with an INFJ. Hope everyone enjoys reading this.
____

"How strange is the lot of us mortals! Each of us is here for a brief sojourn; for what purpose he knows not, though he sometimes thinks he senses it. But without deeper reflection one knows from daily life that one exists for other people — first of all for those upon whose smiles and well-being our own happiness is wholly dependent, and then for the many, unknown to us, to whose destinies we are bound by the ties of sympathy. A hundred times every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving…

I have never looked upon ease and happiness as ends in themselves — this critical basis I call the ideal of a pigsty. The ideals that have lighted my way, and time after time have given me new courage to face life cheerfully, have been Kindness, Beauty, and Truth. Without the sense of kinship with men of like mind, without the occupation with the objective world, the eternally unattainable in the field of art and scientific endeavors, life would have seemed empty to me. The trite objects of human efforts — possessions, outward success, luxury — have always seemed to me contemptible.

My political ideal is democracy. Let every man be respected as an individual and no man idolized. It is an irony of fate that I myself have been the recipient of excessive admiration and reverence from my fellow-beings, through no fault, and no merit, of my own. The cause of this may well be the desire, unattainable for many, to understand the few ideas to which I have with my feeble powers attained through ceaseless struggle. I am quite aware that for any organization to reach its goals, one man must do the thinking and directing and generally bear the responsibility. But the led must not be coerced, they must be able to choose their leader. In my opinion, an autocratic system of coercion soon degenerates; force attracts men of low morality… The really valuable thing in the pageant of human life seems to me not the political state, but the creative, sentient individual, the personality; it alone creates the noble and the sublime, while the herd as such remains dull in thought and dull in feeling.

This topic brings me to that worst outcrop of herd life, the military system, which I abhor… This plague-spot of civilization ought to be abolished with all possible speed. Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism — how passionately I hate them!

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed. It was the experience of mystery — even if mixed with fear — that engendered religion. A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, our perceptions of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which only in their most primitive forms are accessible to our minds: it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute true religiosity. In this sense, and only this sense, I am a deeply religious man… I am satisfied with the mystery of life’s eternity and with a knowledge, a sense, of the marvelous structure of existence — as well as the humble attempt to understand even a tiny portion of the Reason that manifests itself in nature.”
____

Alber Einstein is definitely infj , we will have to proof this to world sign in on personality database and vote Albert Einstein as infj there

·
Registered
INFJ, SoCom, hands-on, physical intimacy, Energy being, Project Career Temp, Wisdom Growth Temp
3,887 Posts
After getting to know MBTI Career Temperament for INFJ, SoCom, hands-on learner, physical intimacy love language a little better, I have now typed Albert Einstein as INFJ, physical intimacy love language, hands-on learner, Energy being Frequency Temperament, 13PM Heart Temperament (in the extended Environmental Emotional Repression Release Pattern), Discovery-oriented Career Temperament, Body-oriented Directional Temperament, Clairvoyant Psychic Modality

Please refer to the following threads for Temperament information (diagrams are helpful references):

Please visit my personal website (link in signature) for information about Heart Temperament (the information is banned on the forum).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts