Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alcohol taste like crap, it wastes money, does no good to the society at all except for boosting the economy, people abuse it and use it as an 'excuse' to pitifully try to get laid successfully.

Why?

To me, it seems STUPID. You'd rather waste it on a bar of chocolate. At least it tastes good, and actually doesn't give you a hangover. It's cheaper too! And you can't get drunk from chocolate. Wait I take that back.

But alcohol SUCKS!

So why?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I started drinking at five. At nine I was drinking while helping my Dad roof and work. We would work on the roof take a break and everyone got a beer. i drank it because thats what I thought you were supposed to do. I was 9 and looked up to my Dad. At 12 I was allowed to drink whenever I wanted. By 14 I was moving out and hanging with other drinkers. I was always told to know your limit so whenever I got to my limit I usually stopped. I can remember everything when drink. I don't drink now.

Others people use drinking as a masking agent to deeper problems. They also have found alcholics when they go sober tend to have a sugar addiction,

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
It can cause a person to feel less nervous in social situations, and can make communication easier if a person suffers from extreme shyness. It can also numb emotional pain in some situations, and can reduce anxiety/tension. Some alcohol tastes good, like my parents' homemade wine, made from homegrown apples and berries. Used in moderation, it can keep a person's mind off of an unpleasant and tedious chore without necessarily impairing the person's ability to perform the required task. It can aid in brainstorming and stream-of-consciousness writing by opening the thought flow. This is especially true if the writer is limited primarily by his or her own excessively vigilant inner critic, by insecurity, or by perfectionism. Alcohol can be a useful social aid that encourages shared vulnerability and various entertaining forms of bonding that might otherwise seem embarrassing or childlike because of the usual desire to feel like one is in control. It is also good for relaxing a nervous stage performer prior to a public jam session in which creative improvisation is required.

I would know. :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Alcohol is an escape from reality. It makes you feel inhuman and you don't even realise it. People want to be daring but are often afraid to do it... so some turn to alcohol to make them more confident.

I'm not a big fan of the grog. It makes me feel out of control. It slows me down mentally and I don't dig that. I'm also quite reckless to begin with... I don't need anything to make me twice as reckless!! But I do it from time to time but within moderation... sometimes. :crazy:

·
Registered
689 Posts
I use it socially to let loose and hang out. Liquid courage, man. I can't say I enjoy drinking a whole lot though.
But I can't say I haven't had nights where I got totally flippin' trashed. I've had my fun but alcohol isn't near one of my favorites, at all.

And hangovers are easily prevented...

And it's an acquired taste...
Jus' let people do what they do. I don't particularly consider it an escape from reality until it becomes a destructive habit.
Personally, I'd rather just buy bud.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Different reasons. Like snail said, some of it tastes good. That's why I occasionally drink a little - I don't see the appeal in drinking just to get drunk:

"I must have had a lot of fun last night, can't remember a thing!" Oh, so you spent all that money to get amnesia? Grrreat idea!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Different reasons. Like snail said, some of it tastes good. That's why I occasionally drink a little - I don't see the appeal in drinking just to get drunk:

"I must have had a lot of fun last night, can't remember a thing!" Oh, so you spent all that money to get amnesia? Grrreat idea!
Benzos are preferable for blackout nights. $8 and a bit of beer guarantees that your morning will be filled with fragmented memories that slowly make their way through consciousness when friends tell you what happened- And you only remember bits n' pieces. Laaawwwwlll

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
People use it to loosen up and have an excuse for saying and doing exactly what they felt like doing.

It is stupid, everyone knows it and they're ok with it.

So drink up buddy.

Reactions: Sybyll

·
mafia mod
13,335 Posts
The taste. Nothing beats a good vodka or tequila. It also relaxes a person.

A bit OT there was a recent study in the journal of rheumatology that showed that alcohol reduces the severity of rheumatoid arthritis.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Alcohol is used in social situations because it does bring social anxiety down. To use anything to excess is usually not good. Alcohol has it's place and time.

Reactions: jack in the box

·
Registered
314 Posts
I like alcohol because it makes me feel comfortable around other people. It opens me up to new experiences I wouldn't have if I didn't drink. It is not a waste of money to me, because I'm paying for a fun time; same as if I went to an amusment park or the fair. I have never drank until I blacked out, I have figured out by now how to avoid hangovers, and I have discovered which drinks I enjoy the taste of, so why shouldn't I drink? Also, I don't use this as a crutch like some people do; I drink maybe once a month at most; usually less often than that.

·
Registered
791 Posts
The taste. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that others do not.

I don't drink it for the effect, since I do not like not being in control of my own mind... well, and the fact that I largely cannot taste any longer, but the different bitterness, sweetness and acidity (of say, wine) is certainly still discernible on the tongue.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Some alcohol taste really good. I love a really well made beer. I like the art that goes behind making quality alcohol. And like others have mentioned, it's liquid courage. Being an INFP, I know I definitely need it while in social situations.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Some alcohol taste really good. I love a really well made beer. I like the art that goes behind making quality alcohol. And like others have mentioned, it's liquid courage. Being an INFP, I know I definitely need it while in social situations.
Agreed. I mostly just like the taste of specific beers (plus this one Italian bitter called fernet---mmmm, saffron); I won't touch anything else. The only difference in social situations that it makes for me, however, is that if I've had a couple drinks my hands won't shake when I public speak/sing karaoke. (And I'm confident enough now that it doesn't bug me in the first place.) I have the same highs and lows of sociability no matter how many beers you put in me.

Anyway, when I do drink, the following things must be true:

1) I must be out of my house.
2) I have to drink something that I enjoy drinking.
3) Just as I will never have more than 2 slices of cake, I must never have more than 2 glasses of alcohol, for the simple sake of moderation.

And then there's one thing that trumps all that: I'll drink if my dad asks me to because he has no one else to drink with.

·
Registered
911 Posts
In vino veritas.
Vinum bonum, pax in domum.
Romans knew!

---

Alcohol is great if done in moderation.
A bar of chocolate can be dangerous as well if your consumation turns into bars a day.
The main reason I drink (I drink mostly beer) is because it tastes good. Nothing beats a good beer with a pizza or grilled meat.
Its effect on my behaviour (lowers inhibitions) is just an added bonus.
Plus, it's actually a lot of fun trying to shower or game on a PC while tanked up.

·
Registered
689 Posts
In vino veritas.
Vinum bonum, pax in domum.
Romans knew!

---

Alcohol is great if done in moderation.
A bar of chocolate can be dangerous as well if your consumation turns into bars a day.
The main reason I drink (I drink mostly beer) is because it tastes good. Nothing beats a good beer with a pizza or grilled meat.
Its effect on my behaviour (lowers inhibitions) is just an added bonus.
Plus, it's actually a lot of fun trying to shower or game on a PC while tanked up.
Man, I'm reading your post like a poem and... That's a trip dude.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The taste. Nothing beats a good vodka or tequila. It also relaxes a person.

A bit OT there was a recent study in the journal of rheumatology that showed that alcohol reduces the severity of rheumatoid arthritis.

Tell that to my ex-alcoholic, arthritic mum. :laughing:

A glass of wine is like the oil to my sociability gears when I'm not in the mood, or want to relax a little. I also tend to be more optimistic and stay out of my dark side if I have a little to drink.

It's something to be used infrequently, but enjoyed when I do have it.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
Alcohol taste like crap
Straight alcohol does take like crap. I took a shot of everclear ONCE.

Have you tried anything other than pure alcohol?

Try Russian River's Suppliation, or Alpine's Pure Hoppiness, or Surly's Coffee Bender fresh on tap, or New Glarus' Wisconsin Belgian Red. You may dig them.

You are right though, a lot of mass produced rubbish tastes just like, well, rubbish.

it wastes money
This is so horribly subjective, I can't touch it.

does no good to the society
This too

at all except for boosting the economy,
which is nice. A lot of people can afford their mortgages because of alcohol.

people abuse it
As well as how we abuse food, television, the internet, etc. For every person who abuses it, many more actually exercise moderation. If something seizes control of people, I find it foolish to blame the thing. It is better to put the onus on the individual and his/her desire. Seems stupid to do otherwise, like Islam banning women being seen rather than getting men to confront their own sexuality. Zing!

and use it as an 'excuse' to pitifully try to get laid successfully.
I've seen just as many guys listen to shitty music, wear stupid clothes and even learn how to play the guitar just so they could get in some chick's pants. This is human nature. Its relationship to alcohol is incidental.

To me, it seems STUPID. You'd rather waste it on a bar of chocolate. At least it tastes good, and actually doesn't give you a hangover. It's cheaper too! And you can't get drunk from chocolate. Wait I take that back.
The expanding wastelines of America confirm that people abuse chocolate too.

But alcohol SUCKS!
At least you're approaching this with an open mind.

This is my favorite retort to alcohol bashing as it perfectly sums up the issue at hand. From "the internet"...

Noah S. “Soggy” Sweat, Jr. had the following to say to the Mississippi State Legislature in 1952:

“You have asked me how I feel about whiskey. All right, here is how I feel about whiskey.

“If when you say whiskey you mean the devil’s brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster, that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean the evil drink that topples the Christian man and woman from the pinnacle of righteous, gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, and despair, and shame and helplessness, and hopelessness, then certainly I am against it.

“But;

“If when you say whiskey you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the ale that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips, and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer; if you mean the stimulating drink that puts the spring in the old gentleman’s step on a frosty, crispy morning; if you mean the drink which enables a man to magnify his joy, and his happiness, and to forget, if only for a little while, life’s great tragedies, and heartaches, and sorrows; if you mean that drink, the sale of which pours into our treasuries untold millions of dollars, which are used to provide tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitiful aged and infirm; to build highways and hospitals and schools, then certainly I am for it.

“This is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise.”

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I agree with you pretty much 100% ETG, but the speech you used at the end is actually the canonical example of the If-by-whiskey fallacy.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
I agree with you pretty much 100% ETG, but the speech you used at the end is actually the canonical example of the If-by-whiskey fallacy.
It think that would only be a fallacy if there were actually an absolutely right or wrong position to be had. Seems like both are legitimate concerns depending on how you look at it.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." :wink:

Reactions: limelight3
1 - 20 of 23 Posts