Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Celebrity Types had Aldous Huxley typed as ENFP. The guy was bullied most of his school life and was a loner. The man despised popular culture and Brave New World is basically an attack on the dumbing down/hedonistic path society was taking. Any ENFP's I know don't seem so concerned with those sorts of problems. I think he's a definite INxP. His perennial philosophy seems VERY Ti driven. Taking all the worlds ancient religions and getting to the sources of them, finding common principles and crafting a system out of these principles. Thoughts?

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Well... That's a little bit of a stereotype. Es can be bullied too, and Es can appear as loners, particularly when they are socially rejected. I mean, I'm an Fe-dom. I'm supposed to be the bully, the one in everyone's business, right...? Wrong. I was bullied ll throughout my childhood, and as a result I socially isolated myself so as not to annoy others.

I don't know if this is the case in Huxley's situation... But I wanted to make sure it was understood that you can't just type someone as introverted because they were bullied and appeared to be a loner.

Unfortunately I can't contribute much to this topic at this moment. I know nothing about Huxley, in spite of my quote from him :/ I haven't even read Brave New World yet. But I'll be interested to see what comes out about his type nonetheless.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I thought it was surprising seeing him typed as a ENFP too. Something worth noting is that Keirsey typed him as INFP though. NFP seems right in any case.

I disagree with you on the Ti, I think there's definitely Te. What you describe seems very Ne/Fi/Te driven to me. He's got a vision of values to carry out (Fi), he connects all the ideas (Ne), and finds the sources to back it up (Te). He proves his point by showing the reverse, how it shouldn't be, that is dystopia. If you check out one of his interviews I think the Te is obvious in the way he talks, as well as his ability to see multiple perspectives at once (Ne). He talks about expressing multiple meanings in an objective way. He seems to live very much in his head but I think he shows personal warmth and care for humanity.

I could definitely see the Bernard Marx in Brave New World as INTP though, very intelligent but doesn't fit in. On a side note I always thought Mustapha Mond seemed like an INTJ, the only character with a plan.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You seem to be suggesting that regarding the Perennial philosophy he came up with his philosophy first then sought sources to back it up, whereas I believe he studied the religous traditions first and then pieced together a system based on their roots, which seems like Ti/Ne to me. Personal warmth could easily be an INTP's Fe, which seems to become more pronounced with age.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
You seem to be suggesting that regarding the Perennial philosophy he came up with his philosophy first then sought sources to back it up, whereas I believe he studied the religous traditions first and then pieced together a system based on their roots, which seems like Ti/Ne to me. Personal warmth could easily be an INTP's Fe, which seems to become more pronounced with age.
I didn't suggest anything really, except I don't think he was a Ti-user. Never mind the order, might just have been poor wording on my part. It's not like people use their functions one at a time anyway.

I haven't read The Perennial Philosophy myself, but from what I understand what he does in it is connect quotes from eastern culture with quotes from western culture and the bible. He then explains what they have in common in his own words. What would this have to do with Ti?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't suggest anything really, except I don't think he was a Ti-user. Never mind the order, might just have been poor wording on my part. It's not like people use their functions one at a time anyway.

I haven't read The Perennial Philosophy myself, but from what I understand what he does in it is connect quotes from eastern culture with quotes from western culture and the bible. He then explains what they have in common in his own words. What would this have to do with Ti?
I think a better description of what he does is study each mystical tradition extensively until he has created a whole system based on their common elements. He doesn't quote mine them to fit his own philosophy, he logically constructs one based on their common elements. Seems Ti to me.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I think a better description of what he does is study each mystical tradition extensively until he has created a whole system based on their common elements. He doesn't quote mine them to fit his own philosophy, he logically constructs one based on their common elements. Seems Ti to me.
I wasn't implying that he didn't study them enough or how he constructed his philosophy. Again, I haven't read it so I don't have a full picture what it's about. Constructing a system isn't exactly something exclusive to Ti, and I'm having trouble seeing Aldous Huxley as a Ti-dom.

Mind explaining why you think Ti?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here are a few contributions:

- I was also surprised when I saw NFP. I guess this could be based on his fiction works though. Through a fiction book, the F might be more noticeable. However, having read Doors of Perception / Heaven and Hell, non-fiction books, I think he's clearly a T. He's talking about drugs, culture, religion, and so on, all themes that are highly appealing to a F type, but his approach is always rational, logic and somehow cold. I find hard to imagine a F type talking about such topics with such an approach (except maybe an INFJ, but then I think we agree Huxley has Ne, not Ni). The traces of F that can be found could be explained, however, by a dominat T type searching for his inferior F, which is linked to the age too, as anatman mentioned. My conclusion here: a T type, with Ti or Te unknown, for now.

- Concerning Ne, apparently we all agree that it's quite strong on him. So a NP type, which with T gives NTP.

- As for introversion or extraversion, my guess is he's introvert too. In Doors of Perception, he seems always very self-centered, distant from the world, he's an observer, rather than a player. These are all traits of introversion. Thus, we end with INTP!

Now, here's my contribution regarding the Ti/Te function: for me, his rationality seems the Ti type too, although this is more of a feeling I get. His logic seems more implicit in the text, rather than explicit. Te would be much more explicit, and probably imperative, and more verbose, in the sense of "showing how we should reason to arrive at the conclusions". Instead, Huxley just links the thoughts in a more fluid way, without focusing on the reasoning. But again, I'm not totaly sure of this argument.

I would love to hear more thoughts on the subject though!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I see it as between ISTJ, INFP and INTJ. I'm most certain that he uses Te, second most certain of Si, and also pretty certain he's introverted.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Having read Brave New World, Island, Point Counter Point, and The Perennial Philosophy, (some of these, more than once) I can 100% confidently say that Huxley was an INFP. And I don't argue this because, being an INFP, I am biased in favor of my own type, but rather because his work is so glaringly INFP to me that perhaps it takes one to elucidate it.
I've seen several people type him as INxJ, however it's very clear to me that he has some degree of Si – as evidenced by listening to several of his interviews (“Words form the thread on which we string our experiences,” "Every man's memory is his private literature,” and countless other quotes that I cannot bring myself to search through.)
Nearly all of his criticisms of modern society, as well as the characters within his novels (Brave New World in particular) correspond very strongly with the function of Introverted Feeling. He criticizes the modern, industrial world for being vapid, inauthentic, and meaningless – each of those, criticisms any well-developed Fi-user knows all too well... He does not disparage society's logical inconsistencies; rather, he is concerned with its lack of depth. Granted, his recurring theme of narrow-mindedness could be written from the perspective of both INFP and INTP (as well as INTJ and ENxP), however there is truly far too much Fi in his books for him to be anything but INFP.

Just by looking at his writing, I think this is rather self-evident.
“I like being myself. Myself and nasty. Not somebody else, however jolly.”
“But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin.”
“A bad book is as much of a labor to write as a good one; it comes as sincerely from the author's soul.”
“Did you ever feel, as though you had something inside you that was only waiting for you to give it a chance to come out? Some sort of extra power that you aren't using - you know, like all the water that goes down the falls instead of through the turbines?”
“Most men and women will grow up to love their servitude and will never dream of revolution.”
If he were anything apart from INFP (which, in earnest, I highly doubt), I'd imagine that he is likely to have been an ENFP.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I've only read Brave New World, but I honestly can't see anything other than INFP for Huxley.

Hell, John ends up hanging himself at the end of the book when he learns that he can no longer be an individual in a sea of conformity. That seems like a pretty unhealthy form of Fi to me, and since John is supposed to represent a 'normal' man in an otherwise fucked up world, we can imagine this is the character who is supposed to represent Huxley's point of view.

Huxley's way too concerned with society no longer having "depth," like abnormal mentioned. Seems like Fi to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could a more confident determination result from comparing type preferences regarding conflict?

Huxley and conflict-

ENFP (Ne-Fi), INFP (Fi-Ne), or... ?

I'm not even sure how these functions get ordered in times of conflict. I'm hoping some MBTI geek with pants smarter than ours here comes along and makes things right, since I'm running on just a bit of intuition, a couple ice cream sandwiches, and some ego anxiety, as I'm an enfp.

Huxley wrote because of a different time and place. Bullies and victims, demagogues and constituents, even a lexicon changes with time and place, but a theme can play steady. Brave New World seems like a "Te bitch-slap" from a mature enfp, executed with the benefit of a particular brand of empathy distilled in someone who has confronted bullies of nearly every type but those most dangerous, despite good sense and smart friends telling them not to, maybe even after promising themselves they would never again endure such failure.

To a bully, or anyone perceived as such in that regretful moment, the ENFPs logic will look colder than ruthless and is unsettling. People prefer to avoid anything accurately described using the word unsettling but survival by means of willed forgetfulness often results the same, if not more substantial response to any subsequent Te slap. The slap is a last resort for the ENFP and because they're likely to shake it off quickly, ENFP can appear to both as having also forgotten.

Like some feedback loops, certain lessons concerning appearances evade detection and their preferences regarding conflict are what shape the ENFP's destiny; A Well Practiced Te-slapper. Some will practice more than others, and one of those might even aquire canonical author for their label collection.

We've learned that speaking before thinking is just one of ENFPs missing keys. It seems we ALL know that an inclination toward root cause analysis from an extraverted thinker is more than a little annoying. To the ENFP, space to ponder life's what ifs with the drooling focus they deserve and the chance to edit what was said before sharing are but two luxuries granted by the practice of writing. Yes, I wrote chance.

The conflict to address is neither bully nor victim, but rather that which has made them. It may seem I was trying to make that last a bigger deal than it is, but like their dealings with bullies, ENFP's failures will be awkward and many when confronting machines of society. It's been said that with failure comes success.

If writing is how an ENFP goes about it, continued practice can do more than satisfy their preferences, it can pay the rent. Fi is secondary here, and in times of existential reckoning, (when ENFP is quiet) a journal entry functions as both survival tool and a record of the endeavor. Moreover, if the ENFP manages their symptoms and actually survives the disease of avoidance, works crafted with finer tools can be enjoyed by readers who might identify with a few lines, or find inspiration.

With value and that valued by such as demigogues, tyrants, victims, and the silent ones compared, though reader and author both are implicated, only choice remains.

I nearly jumped when I read that Huxley was looked upon by his pupils as an incompetent school master and with more reading Iearned he was in his in his early 20's at the time, taught French for a year, and had George Orwell as one of his pupils, who admired Huxley's command of language. ENFP myself, I do not identify with Huxley's accomplishments.

It was a comfort to me, "knowing" that Aldous Huxley and Kurt Vonnegut were both ENFPs. The logic I found in the idea did have a curve to it, but a curve so balanced I could lounge in it. Itch, but no rash with others typed similarly.

Hunter S. Thompson rocked all, even those still unaware, and I know that his work helped make me, as did dating the woman who introduced me to his work, but in my opinion he had too much boxer-pit going on to be anything but ENTP. Don't get me wrong, I love these assholes, and that sounds perfectly obscene to me too, but dang, damn, damnit, no means no, you know? What's worse? I'll tell you what and it's a full three days later when; they tell you, and do so with that bugf*ck look in their glossy eyes, or eye, for sh*tsake, that in "fact" it is you who are the a-hole, and for having first said yes. Good God and Jesus yonder, been bitten again.

OP had me wondering if they themselves were an INxP with their own identity invested. I've registered this account years later because I'm an ENFP who needed some of that "Huxley was an ENFP" pride to help me get through some tough times, but now you guys are telling me I can't even rely on the MBTI of a dead guy who never took the test? Fact is, authors become famous when lots of people identify with their writing.

When it comes to social critique, I can definitely see INFP striking with comparable effect through lyric, but never will there be a Fi monopoly. In fact, I wish I could take back every time I got sucked into a "degradation of society" rant with INFP coworkers, not because my version of big picture seemed to stretch the time o' whine, guised intellectual rally they'd lucked upon since we obviously shared at least some of those joys, but because of a specific loneliness I'm bound to forget and experience again, after bringing it all down to our honesty, openness, and willingness to remain personally responsible and accountable in all that we feel, think, act, do, and fail at -as strong social foundation. Inevitably, I'd witness -no, worse- I'd just feel some kind of weird-something, feel it and get distracted, the tailspin dive from which they'd pull out of at the last second with what amounted to a cheerful "Good luck, and good to see ya".

·
Registered
1 Posts
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Celebrity Types had Aldous Huxley typed as ENFP. The guy was bullied most of his school life and was a loner. The man despised popular culture and Brave New World is basically an attack on the dumbing down/hedonistic path society was taking. Any ENFP's I know don't seem so concerned with those sorts of problems. I think he's a definite INxP. His perennial philosophy seems VERY Ti driven. Taking all the worlds ancient religions and getting to the sources of them, finding common principles and crafting a system out of these principles. Thoughts?
It seems you understand very little about ENFPs and have only ever interacted with them on the surface level. You’re absolutely right about Huxley not being one, as he seems like an INTP to me. However, it’s been made very apparent by the MBTI community that ENFPs are, as a whole, moderately to severely opposed to following societal norms and conforming to any system that behaves to remove individualism and/or promotes hedonism. They are typically disobedient towards most societal norms, to be honest. Not to mention that ENFPs are regarded as the most introverted of the extraverted types and are often mistyped as introverts as well as being subject to rejection for their individualistic and often eccentric nature. Again, not disagreeing with your claim, because you’re clearly right in that case, only with your logic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts