Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
INTP 874 sx/sp VLEF melancholic
17,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Si function is often misunderstood and that's because it's only glanced at. I've gotten a lot of questions about Si and I don't think there is a proper illustration of it out there.

First off, I'm ISFJ - Si Fe Ti Ne

Misunderstandings:

Si is about fixation on the past.

Si is about paying attention to sensation, like hunger, taste, etc.

In a nutshell:

Si is about connecting things together. That's it. It sees one thing and connects it to another. For example, a memory with an emotion. What this does is recall the other piece when one part is thought of. If I connected a memory of eating bacon with peace in the family, then whenever bacon comes to mind so will peace of family. Also if peace of family came to mind, so will the bacon. Those two become tied together.

Si has strong memory recall because of this ability, but that does not equate to a fixation of the past. Si is used all the time thinking about the present and future.

Si in the present:

This is a bit like working to create connections moreso than anything. You see a duck, then you connect that duck with things, especially the self. Specifically you tether yourself to the duck and create a map of the movement. You become reactive to the movement of the duck, based off its specific movement.. Like dancing. But this is done in the mind. Si is about controlling what is around you with these tethers. I imagine Se as somebody going around running over all my wires. -.- Then complaining why I'm not doing anything. Bitch you tripped me. ;)

Si tends to have a spiritual or zen-like affiliation with it as well. And this is because Si pays attention to the butterfly effect (butterfly flapping its wings in Southern Hemisphere creates a hurricane in northern hemisphere) so the impact of the Si is often calculated to a great degree with each specific action you take.

Si in the future:

Si sees the future by stacking dominos from the present. For example, personally I see a future of democratic rule in the United States. I got there by looking at current political dispute and building a bridge from there. Recognize the rise of science and how Republicans are becoming more and more religious-focused so as to ignore things like global warming and continue to have the free market thrive in their favor. Soon laws should be passed to the power to the rightful majority by fixing up gerrymandering, allowing democrats to gain power and run the show. Instead of keeping the free market alive (which only helps the top 10% more and more the longer it is alive), money will be taken from these too large to fail corporations and put into places where more people benefit, like reducing costs of student loans, alternative fuel options to help the climate, immigration rights, etc.

so look at the connections as you read along that. Notice how one thing connects to the other, and see the dominoes. I'm not saying this will happen certainly. But that is a possible path based on connections I have made. My connections are extremely limited in capacity to predict the future correctly every time. My prediction is based on limited data in other words.

In video games I often know what the enemy will do next based on what they are currently doing. In fact I like to make myself predictable even so as to predict the enemy predicting me just so I can put them in a trap. It's that tether that I play with mostly. I'm not always right though I am a majority of the time and successfully carry my weight. I especially like to be low health in video games because I work off the idea that I'm the number one target and they will predictably try to get an easy kill on me. And it never happens. ;) That's a way Si predicts the future, by relating low health to target on my back to enemy ambition. Lots of people fall for that trap. I actually have a hard time against new players because they don't know what to do so I can't just predict something that has no logic to it.

Anyway, hopefully you expanding your view of Si beyond that of "fixated on the past"

·
Registered
17,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I scored highest in Si (far above the 2nd place Ni), and I can relate, reluctantly, to most of the list.

My memory is annoyingly vivid (especially long-term), but not always in matters that could turn into career-builders.

Most of my recall is random trivia, like, 'Uncle Barney was wearing a blue suit at my sister's wedding', and, 'This song that Steve Miller just did was off of this album in 1976', and, 'Your grandmother died on December 9th because it was a Wednesday, it was -8 outside, and the starter was about to quit on my truck'.

Useful sometimes, but mainly only for fans of 'Rain Man'. :rolleyes:
Yep that's how my memory works. I ask people weird questions sometimes to try to remember something. Other times when I remember I'll be like "oh yeah your birthday was two weeks ago because you were wearing a purple shirt!" And they're like, "I was? Wait why does that mean it was two weeks ago..." Lol they just don't understand.

I always get asked "why do you remember that?" And I respond with "because we talked about ____ that day" or something like that. Things just get connected man.

Reactions: Copper North

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Yep that's how my memory works. I ask people weird questions sometimes to try to remember something. Other times when I remember I'll be like "oh yeah your birthday was two weeks ago because you were wearing a purple shirt!" And they're like, "I was? Wait why does that mean it was two weeks ago..." Lol they just don't understand.

I always get asked "why do you remember that?" And I respond with "because we talked about ____ that day" or something like that. Things just get connected man.

`

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
@Copper North

Yeah... You're one of the most blatant Si users I have yet to come across.

You're the first INFJ I've come upon that went so far out of their way to hurt my feelings, especially when I was just trying to be myself with everyone.

Sad day for both of us.

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
Si aids in the construction of its extroverted judging function. Si provides the material. It incrementally builds. It is slow and steady. One foot after the other. Like an assembly line.

It is funny you used dominoes as an example, because I do think Si generally sees things in black and white. Those are the only colors. It is an abstraction process. It takes all the colors of the world, and abstracts them to black and white. It sorts them that way. Like a black and white movie.

I have heard Si described as myth building, and I agree with that. An SJ cop for example lives in a world where I am some punk, and he is justice. I am black, he is white. In a similar fashion, I will always be an angel to my Si relatives. I am white, the world is black. These are like strict dichotomies that never change. They are continually built on. When I think of Si, I think of this:

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
You're the first INFJ I've come upon that went so far out of their way to hurt my feelings, especially when I was just trying to be myself with everyone.

Sad day for both of us.
How on earth was I being hurtful? You went out of your way to say that you score significantly higher on Si than Ni and then went on to describe your experience with Si in flawless detail.

·
Registered
17,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Si aids in the construction of its extroverted judging function. Si provides the material. It incrementally builds. It is slow and steady. One foot after the other. Like an assembly line.

It is funny you used dominoes as an example, because I do think Si generally sees things in black and white. Those are the only colors. It is an abstraction process. It takes all the colors of the world, and abstracts them to black and white. It sorts them that way. Like a black and white movie.

I have heard Si described as myth building, and I agree with that. An SJ cop for example lives in a world where I am some punk, and he is justice. I am black, he is white. In a similar fashion, I will always be an angel to my Si relatives. I am white, the world is black. These are like strict dichotomies that never change. They are continually built on. When I think of Si, I think of this:

Yeah it is kind of like that. The truth of the Si judgments is based entirely on how deep your knowledge is. It's only myth building if you don't fight your own ignorance. Like I'm schizophrenic so I know what myth building is like clear as day. But that's just kind of how the function starts out.

Ill go back to video games again. When I play something new, I often have no Si power because all my predictions are based on very little information. But after lots of experience and understanding of the game mechanics and design, my black and white thinking turns into a million different black and white things effectively making the real color show. And it's the same with people. You could start out saying "good vs evil" but then you can also expand on every little thing over time to redefine the label. Eventually it starts turning into 56% evil.

I find it annoying how in my past I have made threads obviously without all the information (duh why make the thread then?) but speaking in Si black and white. Personally, I'm not making those judgments but just actually explaining what I think and what information I have. But I get comments like "you're wrong" or "stop generalizing" and it's just I don't have the time to tell you everything I DONT know. The comments are unhelpful and falsely judge my judgments (funny how that works) as if they are what I think, have always thought, and will always think. I know that I don't know everything but other people don't know that I know that I don't know everything. So sometimes communication can be difficult depending on who I'm talking to. And a big reason why I'm not a fan of talking to so many people at once.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
How on earth was I being hurtful? You went out of your way to say that you score significantly higher on Si than Ni and then went on to describe your experience with Si in flawless detail.
I couldn't locate a single definition or synonym for 'blatant' that didn't sound like a cold slap in the face.
It came across as very hurtful before you explained your viewpoint later.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Eh? What do you think blatant means? :confused:
According to the dictionary :

noisy, especially in a vulgar or offensive manner;
completely obvious, conspicuous and obtrusive, especially in a crass or offensive manner

Sorry, but I couldn't see any warm hugs in either of them.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
According to the dictionary :

noisy, especially in a vulgar or offensive manner;
completely obvious, conspicuous and obtrusive, especially in a crass or offensive manner

Sorry, but I couldn't see any warm hugs in either of them.
lol what dictionary is that?

Blatant means very obvious...

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Merriam-Webster, 2011
Well that's the last time I consider them a good reference.

I recommend Oxford Dictionary for matters of semantics in the English language.

1 (Of bad behaviour) done openly and unashamedly:
blatant lies

1.1 Completely lacking in subtlety; very obvious:
she forced herself to resist his blatant charm

1 - 20 of 76 Posts