Personality Cafe banner

181 - 186 of 186 Posts

·
Banned
644 Posts
What really works for me when it comes to weight loss and and calorie intake is one3one method. Basically, it is a program designed especially for you and your needs, where you eat foods that'll boost your metabolism and balance your hormones. The best thing for me is that it's not restrictive at all, so there's no yo-yo effect :eagerness:
And other thing, combination of cardio and strength training definitely gives the best results! :boxing::victorious:
Just exclusively drinking water and no other kind of liquid will apparently massively boost your metabolism overall.

I wouldn't know tho cause I'm not a person trying to lose weight, I'm trying to gain it in terms of muscle. So consuming calories endlessly is my "diet", lol. Trying to reach a stable 180+, despite being 5'8. I've been bouncing back and forth between 175 and 180.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think splits are good for people that start out as: 1) proper splits provides a good break up of exercises and helps avoid overtraining a muscle group 2) provides proper amounts of recovery for those muscle groups and rest.

When I started 6 years ago with my brother we did splits of:

Day 1; Chest/triceps/abs: flat and incline bench and alternate a few weeks with dumbbells in place of bench with a few cable exercises that hit upper/middle/lower chest and then pec flies with either the machine or free weights finishing with triceps that hit all 3 parts of the tricep(started with cables but over the years added in free weight stuff again). Pushups and dips are also great for improving and when cutting I'd suggest doing pushups after every set to keep the hypertrophy going. Although personally I can't do dips as I get some sharp pain in my palm, which I think might be connected a nerve or something, but the pain makes me stop.

Day 2; Back/biceps: Started with deadlifts and pullups, then overhanded and underhanded rows with either the barbell or dumbbells. Lat pulldowns overhand and then single handle underhanded pulldowns. And I have no idea what the machine is called even though I've gone for years as I've never had to name it, but I'm pretty sure it's just known as the seated cable row machine? You can attach different types of handles/equipment to hit various parts of your back(or biceps if you wanted), although I typically used it for the close grip triangular handle to hit the middle portions of my back.

Day 3: Shoulders/traps/rotator cuff/abs. We did mostly dumbbell shoulder press when we first started, but I'm big fan of over head press with a barbell these days and always do that first then dumbbells. We did mostly super sets on this day, which was my brother's preference but isn't really needed. First superset would be front shoulder raises, followed by lateral shoulder raises, and then alternating dumbbell press(with a lighter weight than you did at the start lol) for 3 sets. The following superset was lateral raise(which can cause shoulder issues apparently although I've never had a problem), followed by kettlebell swings, and rising a plate in the hair while holding it straight in front of you(again not too sure on the name, but it hits front delt and your rotator cuff) and then resistance band lateral raises(this was added when we were cutting but not while we were bulking). Then we would do different types of shrugs/super set with shrugs with both dumbbells and on the smith machine, which is one of the few things we actually used the smith machine for(we did calf raises on there too).

I think the only real important thing is to HIT YOUR ROTATOR CUFF IF YOU PLAN ON DOING HEAVY COMPOUNDS/BENCHING A LOT.
Shoulder issues are no joke and can both be long lasting and reoccurring, so if you're starting you want to avoid shoulder injuries at all costs and strengthening your rotator cuff is crucial in that. Rotator cuff is easy too, there's like 3/4 exercises you can google(I know none of the names, only the movements lol) and it's all low weight with the focus being to increase your number of repetitions.

Day 4; Legs: High bar squats(low bar works too or literally like any type of squats lol) and front squats for compounds. Deadlifts too, but I don't really recommend hitting deadlifts twice a week when you're just starting out and if you do then at least have a longer layoff between the deadlift days than a single day lol. We would hit single legged hamstring curls and singled legged leg extensions, both of which are my favourite since my isolation strength for both is pretty great lol(before a few injuries I was doing 100 lbs for single leg hamstring curls and could do 215 for leg extensions with a leg, hoping to get there again in about 1-2 months). We would also do jumping squats onto a platform super set with standing up onto the platform with one leg(I have no idea if that's the name, they were jump training exercises lol). Followed by hip flexor exercises and whatever glute exercises as well, donkey kicks or whatever you see girls doing for their booty exercises are great for guys too since it hits your glutes well so don't be insecure!!! And then finished with calves.

These days I honestly do whatever except hit deadlift/squats on back to back days lol(and if I do I go light the following day). Your body often gets used to your exercises so mixing exercises up for your routine works well. I've always preferred 5x5 or 5x6 sets during bulks or when doing heavy weight training and 4x8-10 when cutting or working on muscle stamina.

What I need to and always have needed to work on is commitment to cardio and diet. I hate doing cardio that isn't involved with a sport as I just find it mind numbingly boring, and diet. Diet is actually like the only issue as I've always worked out because I enjoy it more than for anything else, but working out has naturally helped my asthetics lol and if I committed to a proper diet I could achieve the v-taper look that I'm sort of hoping to get for the Summer and I'm planning to go for a six pack this year too because why the hell not.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Diet
Well, my eating habits are more of a lifestyle than a short-lived diet. It has really helped keep my body at a constant healthy weight. Upon starting this way of eating, I've lost about 40 pounds. Here's an example of what I eat in a day.

Breakfast ( 7:30 am): bread w/ butter & jam accompanied w/ coffee latte or cereal w/ black tea.
Lunch (1 pm): Usually a sandwich w/ fruit if I'm at school. If I'm at home it's the largest meal day containing a carb, 3-4 types of veg & meat followed by some cheese & fruit.
Dinner ( 8-9pm): homemade vegetable soup w/ bread & cheese.
Dessert (10 pm ish): Usually a biscuit or something sweet w/ tea or hot chocolate.

Vegetables and fruit are seasonal to ensure a variety over the year. I don't eat heavily processed food at home. I don't count calories or look for low-fat options and I stick to reasonable portion sizes. Snacking isn't common but I will do it if I'm really hungry. If I'm eating out then I'll eat whatever despite the food being grossly unhealthy. Also, I make sure to drink 2 glasses of water

Exercise

... I need to work on this. I do try and exercise but I despise working out ( boring) and I'm too busy and I can't convince my parents to pay for it. I'm not sure if it makes a big difference to my health as my lifestyle is somewhat active.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
My dietary habits

• As much intermittent fasting as possible;
  • Fewer meals a day, ideally one or two large high calory meals;
  • Low carb, high fat and protein;
  • Lots of eggs and dairy (greek yogurt, skyr, quark, cottage cheese);
  • Less red meat, more chicken and fatty fish (although I avoid farmed fish);
  • Relatively large amounts of seeds and nuts;
  • I try to avoid processed foods, or basically any product with ingredients that aren't "real food" (preservatives, modified starch, coloring, artificial sweeteners, msg, etc.);
  • Lots of vegetables.
For me, "low carb" essentially means no more foods that are pure starch like bread, pasta and rice, almost no sweets (two squares of dark chocolate a day) and absolutely no sugary drinks. I still eat things like potatos regularly, but I just cut the amounts and fill the gap with fat/protein by adding a few eggs or a ball of mozzarella or something like that.
As for the fasting, it can be rough to go the ideal 16 hours without food because of scheduling, but IME the feeling of hunger goes away almost completely once you lower your carb intake and your blood sugar levels become more stable. So while my fast is slightly shorter than I'd prefer during the work week, I always skip breakfast and only eat before noon when it's someone's birthday and there's cake. I don't want to be rude and not have some cake ^_^ But really, I suspect that "the most important meal of the day" is basically a marketing slogan devised by cereal manufacturers.

My exercise routine
I go to the gym three times a week. After a short warmup, I start a full body workout with heavy lifting (about 45 minutes). The exact program varies because my experience is that my body gets used to a routine pretty quickly and it loses effectiveness to the point where it becomes literally impossible for me to get even slightly sore muscles until I switch up the routine, and my progress just stalls completely. Currently I'm on a program where I do one set with the heaviest weight I can manage for 8-10 reps, followed immediately with fast reps with a lower weight, as many as I can until my muscles are basically on fire... this proved incredibly effective and I saw a significant increase in strength within a few weeks. The program also alternates between upper and lower body, which really keeps the blood pumping so it's essentially cardio at the same time. Finally, I end it with cardio exercise (I currently stick to the arc trainer or rowing machine, since I still have an inguinal hernia and the tredmill tends to be painful). Theoretically I do it for 30 minutes, but that really translates to as long as I can stand it, because cardio is tedious af. The gym is a ~10 minute bicycle ride away anyhow so I already do some cardio just by going there.

My results
I feel stronger than I have in a long time and my energy levels are much more stable... and if I say so myself, my body is starting to look damn good for someone who is approaching 40 years old. I gained about 5 kgs in total, but my fat percentage is way down (est. from ~18 to ~12%) so I probably gained 10-15 kgs of lean muscle mass.

Note that I had to take a two month break from working out in the fall due to a bruised rib, which really hindered my progress to the point where I was almost as weak as when I initially began my exercise routine last summer... but even in spite of this setback, I made quite a lot of progress. Too bad alcohol is such a gains goblin.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Well, I'm feeling better than I have in a couple of years. Staying more constant with exercise, and appear to have finally ended the bad eating habits(boredom and stress eating, especially refined sugars) that were really getting me out of shape.

I'm just trying to do some thing really active most every day. Reminds me years ago when I was really fit and a friend was talking up P90x as how to get fit, and I responded, that it was a good program, but if people would just get any decent exercise for an hour or more a day they would get fit.

And whole foods. Stuff as close as it is in its natural state. Even the healthier processed stuff is still processed and may not digest as easily.

Of course, I'm more about the real health effects. The aesthetics are just a nice fringe benefit of that. I'm eyeing up some challenging races and other activities for the future.

181 - 186 of 186 Posts