Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Well I'm no Goethe, but several teachers across the board expected me to go continue studying the subject they taught in university, at least languages, fine art, music, biology, comparative religion, writing, economics... I was enquired wether I'd be interested in becoming involved in a culinary program, in some kind of a lead position, which I was definitely in any way qualified once after I wrote a cook book as a school project. I also recall an odd incident where my angsty teen poems made some impression on a specific teacher when I was in school as I a few years later went to a different school in a different city and the teacher knew I'd written one of my angsty teen poems as an A Villanelle (not so impressive as I just saw what the form in a collected poems book and thought I'd try it out myself..it wasn't rocket science. Maybe just not what other kids did.). So I guess I made some impression. Lol. Unless they passed teen poems around at teachers' union meeting to snicker at them and mine was the most melodramatic. :laughing: ...I do pick things up pretty fast. Random things like hand carving wood for instance... Speaking a bit of swedish... Flower arranging... nothing exceptionally well, but bits and pieces here and there.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I would say I fit the polymath idea pretty well. That's part of the reason I've never been able to figure out what I want to do. Just about every teacher I've ever had expected me to go on in their subject. I also enjoy learning a little bit about everything. I just wish there were jobs out there for people like me.

·
Registered
INFJ 4w5
643 Posts
I'd say I'm definitely deeply talented in a lot of areas- more than is normal from what I have observed, especially for my age. I'm lacking in a lot of plain knowledge, like facts and areas of study, because I'm young and just haven't had the time yet to possibly absorb enough to pursue the even mediocre, half-joking allusion to being a polymath.

No, I don't think being multi-talented is type-specific, nor do I think INFJs would be more likely to be this way than other types. If anything, I would expect something like Ne using types to pursue a lot of areas of interests (albeit maybe lightly)
However, even that's a stretch

·
Registered
353 Posts
I guess being called a Renaissance Man in jest by many people I know might hint at me being a bit of a polymath . Though I don't really think of myself as that, I just call myself a jack of all trades, master of none. :p I just know my roommates always made jokes as to what new thing I would pick up and learn next. I even attempted to learn parts of architecture by building a 1.5 by 3 foot Popsicle stick house. The next week I think I was learning everything I could about bee keeping. I am random what can I say, but I can hold a conversation with a bunch of people on a multitude of different subjects.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I only know another INFJ in real life and I thought we were the only geeks saying "reinassance man" to talk about being a plolymath.

I am a master of nothing, but I do have several skills, with more variation than most people I know. Generally, I know people who are better at math and physics than me, but cannot draw or paint at all. I know others who can draw fantastically, but fail every math course they take. I am usually the "second place" in everything. I've been getting awards for having the best academic average since got into my carreer....but I never, ever get the best grade in each course for separate. I'm the master of nothing but I'm good at many things.

Sometimes I do wish I masted one... but I like too many things.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I only know another INFJ in real life and I thought we were the only geeks saying "reinassance man" to talk about being a plolymath.

I am a master of nothing, but I do have several skills, with more variation than most people I know. Generally, I know people who are better at math and physics than me, but cannot draw or paint at all. I know others who can draw fantastically, but fail every math course they take. I am usually the "second place" in everything. I've been getting awards for having the best academic average since got into my carreer....but I never, ever get the best grade in each course for separate. I'm the master of nothing but I'm good at many things.

If you ask me, most of your fullfilment will come from helping, and seeing other bloom thanks to you. You don't need to be a master at anything, because you know the pattern on how to be outstanding. This trait alone will make you of great aid to everyone else :)

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I would say I fit the polymath idea pretty well. That's part of the reason I've never been able to figure out what I want to do. Just about every teacher I've ever had expected me to go on in their subject. I also enjoy learning a little bit about everything. I just wish there were jobs out there for people like me.
Maybe in starting a project? One of the best things for me about starting a band back in the day was I got to use all my skills and learn new ones: Writing songs, booking shows, writing copy, making merchandise, posters, photography, the technical side of things like setting up PAs if there was an emergency, doing some small scale marketing, wardrobe, video editing, DJing etc... and later on helping some of the artists that had just begun and using the fact I'd met nice people on the road in helping people who could help one another connect to do something exiting. :) There are things you could do relating to your interests where you can better put your talents to use, like starting a charity project or community project, starting a business etc. :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
This sounds a lot like me. I have always had good grades in school and I have to admit that it wasn't that hard for me to get a high score. I am an artistic person, but I studied medical sciences. I guess I also like a lot of things so it's hard for me to find something I'm really passionate about. I enjoy things but not to the extreme. There is one problem that comes with being a "Jack-Of-All-Trades"... I'm almost always fairly good at things, but I'm rarely number 1, no matter how hard I try. It used to frustrate me a lot and make me feel like an incompetent because I'm such a perfectionist. I used to wish that I could be REALLY talented in one field even if I had to give up my other abilities. I guess I'm glad to be who I am now.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm almost always fairly good at things, but I'm rarely number 1, no matter how hard I try. It used to frustrate me a lot and make me feel like an incompetent because I'm such a perfectionist.
I know this very well. As a kid, I got very angry with myself, when I couldn't finish first. And being always the runner-up is a stupid feeling, so I would cheat a lot in games. But I soon learned this was dishonourable (what child thinks about honour o_O?), so I became fanatic in playing fair. And I would enjoy the journey more than the goal. The result: I learned more and can loose without feeling bad.

I love pub-games: billard, darts, dices, cards, ect.. And I'm not a master at any of these games, but I'm doing generally well. What I witnessed was: because I play usually with better players, I can learn much more than I would when I'd win most of the time. Also: because I have such a wide range of "skill" or "knowledge" about different things, I can use the pattern I see fitting, and adapt them to what I'm currently doing.
I think this is an important part what makes a good problem solver.

Adam Savage explaining how he became a problem solver

·
Registered
353 Posts
This is my exact sentiment. Some day I CRAVE being the best drummer in the world but then I remember that while I am not the best I can probably repair a plumbing leak, bake a cake, and tell the history of the IRA's history better than said drummer. Just no better than a master in each of those areas. I want to be a master of all trades but lets be real here.. many people I know call me talented and interesting because of all of the things I know and do. Why can't I be content with that? But alas I am a perfectionist and will continue learning new things and "trying" to perfect them till the day I die.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I don't think that I'm really an expert on anything. Did really well in college and was asked to tutor other students in subjects I felt inadequate in (even if I got the good grades). I tend to do things for a while, then stop them when I get bored or they become too challenging. Was never interested in mastering anything. I kind of regret not being focused on one thing.

In short, I guess I have few interests but I don't care to master them. I just like learning about them and doing them but not to the point of their becoming my expertise.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well I'm no Goethe, but several teachers across the board expected me to go continue studying the subject they taught in university, at least languages, fine art, music, biology, comparative religion, writing, economics... I was enquired wether I'd be interested in becoming involved in a culinary program, in some kind of a lead position, which I was definitely in any way qualified once after I wrote a cook book as a school project. I also recall an odd incident where my angsty teen poems made some impression on a specific teacher when I was in school as I a few years later went to a different school in a different city and the teacher knew I'd written one of my angsty teen poems as an A Villanelle (not so impressive as I just saw what the form in a collected poems book and thought I'd try it out myself..it wasn't rocket science. Maybe just not what other kids did.). So I guess I made some impression. Lol. Unless they passed teen poems around at teachers' union meeting to snicker at them and mine was the most melodramatic. :laughing: ...I do pick things up pretty fast. Random things like hand carving wood for instance... Speaking a bit of swedish... Flower arranging... nothing exceptionally well, but bits and pieces here and there.

I received a similar responses from my teachers and had similar experiences when I was in college. I did really well in everything I took, and most of my teachers gave me the "You'd do really well in this subject" talk when we would meet outside of class. I ended up majoring in philosophy because it seemed to provide the most well-rounded education, given that I had taken a bunch of other courses in math, science, etc.

Reactions: Vanishing Point

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I received a similar responses from my teachers and had similar experiences when I was in college. I did really well in everything I took, and most of my teachers gave me the "You'd do really well in this subject" talk when we would meet outside of class. I ended up majoring in philosophy because it seemed to provide the most well-rounded education, given that I had taken a bunch of other courses in math, science, etc.
Lol. ...I forgot philosophy from my list. ;) I was actually contemplating applying to the local university to study practical philosophy two years ago, before I decided on another option, and it did seem like the one subject where the course descriptions were the most interesting. Did you enjoy your studies?

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you ask me, most of your fullfilment will come from helping, and seeing other bloom thanks to you. You don't need to be a master at anything, because you know the pattern on how to be outstanding. This trait alone will make you of great aid to everyone else :)
I'm starting to experience that feeling lately, it's indeed very fulfilling. At university I've been helping my classmates with different assignments. When semesters end there is always at least one person who will look for me just to say "thank you" and show me how their grades improved with my help. It makes me warm inside :')

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I am not a jack of all trades. I generally like to focus deep on few specific interests that interest me... though I can understand the benefits of a broad but perhaps not all that deep education in many subjects...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts