Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every Enneagram test I've taken requires knowledge of "everybody else", and I don't have that. I don't even know myself but after much debate have managed to decide that I'm an INFJ. So I go to the INFJ section and there is a thread on Enneagram types - I feel I should answer, but much as I stopped posting while questioning my type to be honest I'm not going to answer that thread 'till I'm sure.

I relate alot to the description of type 4 as I really feel I have something missing making me unlovable and am constantly expecting to be misunderstood. But this isn't a feeling it's a fact - I had amnesia and lack a sense of "me" having grown up in school trying really hard to fit in, and people do misunderstand me as I have a tendency to think too fast for words. I don't know why I do anything and can come up with multiple explanations.

Fitting in and not knowing yourself seem to be 9 like...

Any thoughts, questions, or tests that actually focus on the subject at hand - i.e. the taker - would be greatly appreciated :happy:

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
Have you looked into type 6? Their writing (6w7 in particular) has a sort of fast read to it, you are giving me a similar vibe.

Always looking for answers, reasons, and motivations. They see the world as a complex and unpredictable mess; I'd say that "fitting in" is more of an unhealthy fixation (for a 6).

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Scruffy, the descriptions of a 6 seem very negative but other than that it fits quite well... maybe I am that negative and just don't want to think of myself that way :mellow: I'll keep reading!

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
I relate alot to the description of type 4 as I really feel I have something missing making me unlovable and am constantly expecting to be misunderstood. But this isn't a feeling it's a fact - I had amnesia and lack a sense of "me" having grown up in school trying really hard to fit in, and people do misunderstand me as I have a tendency to think too fast for words. I don't know why I do anything and can come up with multiple explanations.

Fitting in and not knowing yourself seem to be 9 like...
I have a similar problem of not fitting in for very valid reasons: I have a pretty noticable handicap. So, yeah, I'm bound to not automatically feel like everyone else. From my understanding, Fours feel like they don't fit in at a very base level, so they try to stand out. As a very obvious/bad stereotype, they're the type that might wear noticably "different" (aristic, colorful, etc) clothing from the masses to prove just how different they are.

I second looking into 6w7. Don't worry about being an introverted 6w7, just factor it in as another facet of your personality. It's not a bad type at all! I found this post to be very helpful.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Paradigm said:
I found this post to be very helpful.
Thanks Paradigm, that did seem a better description but it keeps mentioning following concrete rules and that is not me, and I don't prepare for the worst. I used to just do it without thought, now I think and do it hoping for the best or just don't do it if it's not "me" but I've never made a backup plan. I also eschew family traditions and have very few friends so my support network is non existant. Though maybe that's why I'm insecure...

Scruffy said:
6's are poorly represented in descriptions, seems as every description of them was taken from an unhealthy 6.
I like how Enneagram types allow for a "health range" but how do you know how healthy you are? Surely an unhealthy X looks like a moderately healthy Y in some situations which just adds to the confusion. I'd probably guess that I am unhealthy as I'm still insecure and aimless in both personal and professional life, but that may not be the case. I may just be in a resigned state of hopelessness.

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
An unhealthy X will take the negative traits from their stressor type X.

(Similar to how under stress an ENTP would act like an ISFJ. or any mbti shadow)

An unhealthy 3, "detaches" to a 9. To avoid failure, they avoid all. A stress is usually a quick fix to your problem, which causes more.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
Thanks Paradigm, that did seem a better description but it keeps mentioning following concrete rules and that is not me, and I don't prepare for the worst. I used to just do it without thought, now I think and do it hoping for the best or just don't do it if it's not "me" but I've never made a backup plan. I also eschew family traditions and have very few friends so my support network is non existant. Though maybe that's why I'm insecure...
Not all Sixes follow the rules. There's a two "types" of Sixes, phobic and counterphobic. The phobic type will be more afraid and reactive to their fears; the counterphobic will seek out their fears and try to overcome them. The counterphobic type is also much more wary/defiant of rules and authority.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scruffy said:
An unhealthy X will take the negative traits from their stressor type X.
Ah, the arrows. Does it show that I jumped in at the test and answers phase rather than reading the theory? :blushed:

So were I a Six I'd act Three under stress. That doesn't sound like me. I've just read this into and while feeling at times it's very over explanatory the theory does make sense. So I paid the $10 and took a really long test to balance out the "silly" questions and got

Type 5: 25
Type 4: 23
Type 9: 20
Type 6: 18
Type 3: 17
Type 7: 11
Type 8: 11
Type 1: 10
Type 2: 9

and was shocked by the long profile of a 5 - that is I actually think the test was right! But again, the under stress 7 just doesn't seem right...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts